Total Members Voted: 20

restorepride

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on October 26, 2020, 06:31:00 PM
Quote from: restorepride on October 26, 2020, 02:12:38 PM
Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on October 25, 2020, 10:39:59 PM
Quote from: restorepride on October 25, 2020, 10:29:46 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 25, 2020, 10:12:09 PM
Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on October 25, 2020, 09:54:40 PM
Glass should never have been near a county panel this year. Was a very good underage player and hopefully will also be a very good senior player, but he has played little or no senior football of any note and hasn't played at all in 4 years, absolutely disgraceful that he is drafted in straight off the plane on underage reputation alone. Should have been left to play some senior football with Glen before he was ever looked at for county.
True. Same goes for Conor mckenna too
Not true.  Conor Glass was playing at elite, professional level for the last number of years, he put his hand up again to represent the county on return - which is more than some other players who never left these shore did.   He deserved the chance for a number of reasons - to possibly play a key role in a one-off year, to get a sense of how quickly he might or might not adapt and to encourage those around him.  Today's performance gave him and Gallagher some more information.  It will take him much longer to adapt and Conor now knows that fully.  However he could still be effective v Ard Mhacha, albeit in a more defensive or man-marking role.  Derry aren't that long out of Division 4, still haven't got out of Division 3 and do not have a queue of others lining up to play for the county.  Conor will be grand - it was just disappointing for Derry today, and for him, that he didn't have a better game.  If he does feature v Ard Mhacha, he will give 100%.
He was playing a totally different sport, he hasn't played any kind of competitive Gaelic football in at least 4 years and hasn't played at all (bar against Banagher as another poster said) at adult level. There is absolutely no way he should have been rushed straight into the county set up. As I said, I hope he goes on to be as good and successful a senior player as he was underage, but he has done nothing to merit it yet and the ridiculous OTT attention on him by the Derry GAA community and local media could actually be detrimental to his development as a player.
Highlighted above is all opinion - which you are entitled to.
So by highlighting 'totally' are yous saying that AFL is the same as GAA?? It's a professional sport played in a completely different climate with a different size and  shaped pitch with a different shaped ball with completely different rules set, other than it being a 'catch and kick' game, it is a different totally sport. As for the other parts please enlighten me as to Conors vast experience at senior adult level in GAA??? Also the balk of your highlighted part is my explaining why I don't think he should be in the panel....which I already said was my opinion.
If you think Conor should be in the panel then more power to you and everyone else, we are all welcome to our opinion, but don't try and claim that he has some kind to massive legacy at adult level in GAA and is there on merit, he is there on underage reputation and hype alone nothing else.
Yous???  I speak for myself, thank you.   Now you are at rant stage and since I don't rate your opinion, neither do I feel any need to enlighten you further!  Conor is born and bred in Derry, represented his proud club Glen at county and provincial level with outstanding success, his school at provincial and national level with outstanding success and Doire at Ulster and All-Ireland level (with as much success as Doire have had in the last generation!), both underage and now senior - so I couldn't really give a shite what you think, although 'balk' is usually a term used in snooker.  Conor might even be good at that also?!  Conor is there on merit and anyone I have spoken to from the county is delighted to welcome him back to play with many of the same young men with whom he achieved so much.

Estimator

But don't try and claim that he has some kind to massive legacy at adult level in GAA and is there on merit, he is there on underage reputation and hype alone nothing else.
Right.... So pretty much like every other minor star that gets thrown straight on to a senior team.. There is a pretty long list of lads in Derry alone that have played senior county with nothing, other than underage reputation, to go on.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Ball

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 26, 2020, 05:44:26 PM
Quote from: Silver hill on October 26, 2020, 05:29:24 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 26, 2020, 05:01:15 PM
Glass should never have been near a county panel this year. Was a very good underage player and hopefully will also be a very good senior player, but he has played little or no senior football of any note and hasn't played at all in 4 years, absolutely disgraceful that he is drafted in straight off the plane on underage reputation alone. Should have been left to play some senior football with Glen before he was ever looked at for county.
Not true.  Conor Glass was playing at elite, professional level for the last number of years, he put his hand up again to represent the county on return - which is more than some other players who never left these shore did.   He deserved the chance for a number of reasons - to possibly play a key role in a one-off year, to get a sense of how quickly he might or might not adapt and to encourage those around him.  Today's performance gave him and Gallagher some more information.  It will take him much longer to adapt and Conor now knows that fully.  However he could still be effective v Ard Mhacha, albeit in a more defensive or man-marking role.  Derry aren't that long out of Division 4, still haven't got out of Division 3 and do not have a queue of others lining up to play for the county.  Conor will be grand - it was just disappointing for Derry today, and for him, that he didn't have a better game.  If he does feature v Ard Mhacha, he will give 100%.
Definitely true. He had no right to "put his hand up" or deserve to be accepted onto the panel, just like Conor mckenna in tyrone. The two of them havent played since they were like 18, or played a handful of senior games even for their clubs.

I think you're arguing against yourself there when you bring mckenna into it. He scored 1-2 last week and 2-2 yesterday......do you think he should have to prove himself in some way at club level before Harte can pick him? Same with Conor Glass? How long should Coleman have made Tohill sit out in 91 (After returning from Oz)before he let him play?
Nope, my point is consistent, what he scored is irrelevant. Neither the two of them have played gaelic in years, so neither shouldve been accepted straight onto county panels without proving themselves again for their clubs. Particularly when you note that other players from both counties had strong club seasons and werent asked onto the county panels, but boys whove barely even played senior club yet are asked on.

So his performance is irrelevant LOL. Should the county team just be the 15 best players from that years club championship then? Wise up.

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: restorepride on October 26, 2020, 07:04:46 PM
He was playing a totally different sport, he hasn't played any kind of competitive Gaelic football in at least 4 years and hasn't played at all (bar against Banagher as another poster said) at adult level. There is absolutely no way he should have been rushed straight into the county set up. As I said, I hope he goes on to be as good and successful a senior player as he was underage, but he has done nothing to merit it yet and the ridiculous OTT attention on him by the Derry GAA community and local media could actually be detrimental to his development as a player.
So by highlighting 'totally' are yous saying that AFL is the same as GAA?? It's a professional sport played in a completely different climate with a different size and  shaped pitch with a different shaped ball with completely different rules set, other than it being a 'catch and kick' game, it is a different totally sport. As for the other parts please enlighten me as to Conors vast experience at senior adult level in GAA??? Also the balk of your highlighted part is my explaining why I don't think he should be in the panel....which I already said was my opinion.
If you think Conor should be in the panel then more power to you and everyone else, we are all welcome to our opinion, but don't try and claim that he has some kind to massive legacy at adult level in GAA and is there on merit, he is there on underage reputation and hype alone nothing else.
Yous???  I speak for myself, thank you.   Now you are at rant stage and since I don't rate your opinion, neither do I feel any need to enlighten you further!  Conor is born and bred in Derry, represented his proud club Glen at county and provincial level with outstanding success, his school at provincial and national level with outstanding success and Doire at Ulster and All-Ireland level (with as much success as Doire have had in the last generation!), both underage and now senior - so I couldn't really give a shite what you think, although 'balk' is usually a term used in snooker.  Conor might even be good at that also?!  Conor is there on merit and anyone I have spoken to from the county is delighted to welcome him back to play with many of the same young men with whom he achieved so much.
Your arrogance and ignorance are astounding even for this site. Having a different opinion does not mean you are enlightening anyone, unless you value your own opinion above everyone else's which you obviously do. But just to humour you, no one is doubting Conor's ability and achievements at underage but please oh glorious one of all knowledge let us know what Conor has achieved to this point at senior level?

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: Estimator on October 26, 2020, 07:42:15 PM
But don't try and claim that he has some kind to massive legacy at adult level in GAA and is there on merit, he is there on underage reputation and hype alone nothing else.
Right.... So pretty much like every other minor star that gets thrown straight on to a senior team.. There is a pretty long list of lads in Derry alone that have played senior county with nothing, other than underage reputation, to go on.
How many of those had a 4 year gap from their minor to senior with little or no senior football and a handful of GAA training sessions at most??
Again, I repeat, I hope Conor is a huge success. He was a very very good underage player, but IN MY OPINION (and that's all it is) he should have been allowed to find his feet at club level next year before being rushed back.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Ball on October 26, 2020, 07:50:48 PM
Definitely true. He had no right to "put his hand up" or deserve to be accepted onto the panel, just like Conor mckenna in tyrone. The two of them havent played since they were like 18, or played a handful of senior games even for their clubs.

I think you're arguing against yourself there when you bring mckenna into it. He scored 1-2 last week and 2-2 yesterday......do you think he should have to prove himself in some way at club level before Harte can pick him? Same with Conor Glass? How long should Coleman have made Tohill sit out in 91 (After returning from Oz)before he let him play?
Nope, my point is consistent, what he scored is irrelevant. Neither the two of them have played gaelic in years, so neither shouldve been accepted straight onto county panels without proving themselves again for their clubs. Particularly when you note that other players from both counties had strong club seasons and werent asked onto the county panels, but boys whove barely even played senior club yet are asked on.

So his performance is irrelevant LOL. Should the county team just be the 15 best players from that years club championship then? Wise up.
Of course it's irrelevant. Theyve done nothing to warrant selection as they havent played gaelic in years.

restorepride

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on October 26, 2020, 08:32:49 PM
Quote from: restorepride on October 26, 2020, 07:04:46 PM
Your arrogance and ignorance are astounding even for this site. Having a different opinion does not mean you are enlightening anyone, unless you value your own opinion above everyone else's which you obviously do. But just to humour you, no one is doubting Conor's ability and achievements at underage but please oh glorious one of all knowledge let us know what Conor has achieved to this point at senior level?
Conor has been selected for Doire in this year's Ulster Championship (Senior).  Some Doire Gaels obviously value his contribution more that you do.  In this regard, yes I actually do value my opinion above yours.  I have watched him play for many years with club, school and county.  He deserves his chance, whether he 'meets' your fake, meaningless, absurd, "entrance criteria" or not. 

screenexile

Let him at it we're talking about Senior football here where you want the best players available to you!!

Surely the most promising footballer from the County in years deserves to get a chance to prove himself for the Senior team.

The game at the weekend was a free go there was nothing to lose and you want to see what Glass can offer. Physically he's big and strong but wasn't up to the pitch of the game in reality so I'd imagine he doesn't start this weekend. He has to be involved though the more he trains with the team the better he'll be. He may even feature at some stage on Sunday but he has to be on that panel!!!!

Silver hill

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 26, 2020, 09:05:30 PM

Of course it's irrelevant. Theyve done nothing to warrant selection as they havent played gaelic in years.

Ok then, let's leave aside what he scored then and concentrate on his performance......I think he was awarded MOTM on tv and in several newspapers, does that count?
Showed pace, vision, won his own ball...maybe pass of the year so far with the ball into Canaan for his goal.

on the sideline

How'd the Tyrone based coaches and managers get on in Derry this year? Will they be staying or looking new clubs? I'm sure Cush & Slater would get another year with Magherafelt after last year? What about McGinley and Quinn at Swatragh? Or O'Neill at Dungiven? Any other ones about? Usually a right few, and vice versa.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Silver hill on October 26, 2020, 11:47:35 PM

Ok then, let's leave aside what he scored then and concentrate on his performance......I think he was awarded MOTM on tv and in several newspapers, does that count?
Showed pace, vision, won his own ball...maybe pass of the year so far with the ball into Canaan for his goal.
That's neither here nor there. Shouldnt be on the tyrone panel until he proves himself again with his club, same for Glass.

restorepride

Next thing you know you'll have to do an interview and produce a CV to get a chance at county level!!!!   Have 12 GCSEs and 2 Scór na nÓg club medals!   And have played at least 50 senior games for your club - championship mind!!!  Starting to sound a bit bitter and vindictive.

shawshank

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 27, 2020, 10:13:28 PM

That's neither here nor there. Shouldnt be on the tyrone panel until he proves himself again with his club, same for Glass.

🤡🤡🤡

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: shawshank on October 27, 2020, 10:47:44 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 27, 2020, 10:13:28 PM

🤡🤡🤡
Dry your eyes

theticklemister

Quote from: on the sideline on October 27, 2020, 06:21:45 PM
How'd the Tyrone based coaches and managers get on in Derry this year? Will they be staying or looking new clubs? I'm sure Cush & Slater would get another year with Magherafelt after last year? What about McGinley and Quinn at Swatragh? Or O'Neill at Dungiven? Any other ones about? Usually a right few, and vice versa.

They should all be rounded up and burnt at the stake the lot of them