Act of blasphemy in Galway today.

Started by T Fearon, January 22, 2017, 10:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I refer to Tony Flannery's so called Mass which apparently attracted hundreds of misguided souls in Galway today. Do these people not realise that to be a true Catholic you must accept the infallibility of the teachings of Rome,however unpopular these may be.If not you are "Protestant" and putting your eternity at risk

seafoid

In 2014, Pope Francis, trying, in his weekly Vatican address, to say "in questo caso" (in this case), ended up saying "in questo cazzo" (in this f**k) instead.

If the curse word was accidental, then he's just as linguistically fallible as the next guy, which isn't necessarily the ideal public image for the professed terrestrial representative of God. Conversely, he might still be infallible, yet have intended to say f**k . What would Jesus do ?

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: seafoid on January 22, 2017, 10:39:29 PM
In 2014, Pope Francis, trying, in his weekly Vatican address, to say "in questo caso" (in this case), ended up saying "in questo cazzo" (in this f**k) instead.

If the curse word was accidental, then he's just as linguistically fallible as the next guy, which isn't necessarily the ideal public image for the professed terrestrial representative of God. Conversely, he might still be infallible, yet have intended to say f**k . What would Jesus do ?

It is common practice to use quotation marks or a reference when ripping off someone else's work.

What the F: What Swearing Reveals About Our Language, Our Brains, and Ourselves
by Benjamin K. Bergen
QuoteIn 2014, Pope Francis, trying, in his weekly Vatican address, to say "in questo caso" (in this case), ended up saying "in questo cazzo" (in this f**k) instead. This was an understandable mistake. The two words are close, and the pope's first language is not Italian. He corrected himself immediately.

Nevertheless, Bergen, in a chapter entitled "The Day the Pope Dropped the C-Bomb," goes on and on about the supposed implications. Uttering a profane word like cazzo places the pope "in an ideological double bind," he writes. And what might that be? Well,

if the curse word was accidental, then he's just as linguistically fallible as the next guy, which isn't necessarily the ideal public image for the professed terrestrial representative of God. Conversely, he might still be infallible, yet have intended to say cazzo. Again, likely not the image he means to project.

Edited to show what I was talking about
Hasta la victoria siempre

bennydorano

Big Q is did Scripture foretell this turn of events

seafoid

I just don't see how you can build a separate society involving  segregated schools , people who think the Pope is infallible and people in the Orange Ordure.

magpie seanie

Quote from: T Fearon on January 22, 2017, 10:34:55 PM
I refer to Tony Flannery's so called Mass which apparently attracted hundreds of misguided souls in Galway today. Do these people not realise that to be a true Catholic you must accept the infallibility of the teachings of Rome,however unpopular these may be.If not you are "Protestant" and putting your eternity at risk

Says who? How dare you stand in judgement on other people. It's people like you and attitudes like this that have turned people away from the church. You and your ilk corrupt the goodness of the Christian message for your own warped agenda. Thankfully most people are now in a position where they can make up their own minds and not be controlled and herded like sheep as in the past by made up bullsh1t rules and interpretations.

mouview

Tony, cracking jokes at dead peoples' expense as you have been wont to do quite recently is hardly the behaviour of a true Catholic.

StGallsGAA

When I saw the headline I thought the weshtie rabble had fired the Sam Maguire down the street again....

Treasurer

I was there.  Wasn't misguided at all, the ol' sat nav brought me straight to the door.

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on January 22, 2017, 10:39:29 PM

Bloody hell,
    You'd have thought that Frankie would have inherited the Holy Ghosts gift of speaking in tongues as well as infallibility.   

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: StGallsGAA on January 23, 2017, 10:22:21 AM
When I saw the headline I thought the weshtie rabble had fired the Sam Maguire down the street again....

;D Believe it or not, I was actually thinking much the same!!

seafoid

Isn't every Protestant service in NI an act of blasphemy?  Isn't that why the economy is banjaxed?

Take Your Points

Quote from: mouview on January 23, 2017, 10:20:07 AM

Tony, cracking jokes at dead peoples' expense as you have been wont to do quite recently is hardly the behaviour of a true Catholic.

Tony is a good Irish Catholic but his contributions as you have described show that he his a poor Christian.

There is a massive difference between the Catholic church in Ireland and basic Christianity as described in the Gospels.

T Fearon

I follow the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church which goes all the way back to the Apostles, not wishy washy heretics as epitomised by Flannery.

Those who think Christianity is simply compassion and love are fatally mistaken.Jesus reserved compassion only for sinners who repented or in the hope that people would be turned to repentance.

magpie seanie

Quote from: T Fearon on January 23, 2017, 09:23:08 PM
I follow the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church which goes all the way back to the Apostles, not wishy washy heretics as epitomised by Flannery.

Those who think Christianity is simply compassion and love are fatally mistaken. Jesus reserved compassion only for sinners who repented or in the hope that people would be turned to repentance.

You're getting there with the last part. "whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me" - the Christian message is one of hope. There's always hope if you believe the Christian message and that's why none of us should judge or write off anyone. Judgement is reserved for God. And as the saying goes He works in mysterious ways. I believe a Christians role here is to live a good life, try to do no harm to other and try to help others. To be honest I think that's what all people should do and whether they believe or not doesn't really matter to me. It may matter to God (personally I don't believe it does - He will be happy enough with people living good lives I'd guess) but that's not my concern.