Another case of SADS - RIP

Started by Friday, November 20, 2006, 02:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

I was horrified to hear this morning of the death of a young Erin's Isle footballer at the weekend in a match against O'Dwyers in a FL Div 4 match. He collapsed and died on the pitch despite the best efforts of an O'Dwyers player who attempted to resuscitate him. It's believed this was another case of SADS. Very, very sad and sympathy to him family. 

BallyhaiseMan

Tragic RIP...
How many cases of this are we going to let occur before Mandatory screening for all players is brought in.

sheskin

My sympaties to his family. His father was very involved in the juvenile section of Erins Isle and did a tremendous amount of work in keeping young lads playing GAA.

Bogball XV

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on November 20, 2006, 02:56:14 PM
Tragic RIP...
How many cases of this are we going to let occur before Mandatory screening for all players is brought in.
Will that actually make a difference?  In Cormac McAnallen's case was his heart not weakened by a virus he'd picked up shortly before his death, hence, cardiac screening would only have worked if he'd been screened in the relatively short window period when he had the virus?  I'm open to correction on this one, and it is a tragedy, just maybe not a preventable tragedy.

dubnut

Bogball, I think they said it was done in Italy (or the likes) and this was reduced by approx 89% on the news this morning.
Not sure where this came from.
Terrible terrible tragedy, the guy was playing against my old Dublin club and some freinds and my brother were playing the game and were all pretty shook up about it.
I wont name names for privacy reasons but believe one of the O'Dwyers players was quite heroic in his attempts to resuscitate him.

RIP

Corner Back

Another tragedy. May he rest in peace.

The association is going to have to speed up the provision of defibrillators, as well as bringing in screening as it appears to be about to do to some extent.

It is my understanding that Cormac McAnallen died not from a virus but rather from Long QT Syndrome, a genetic condition which would probably have been detected by screening.

Bogball XV

You may be right Dubnut, screening would identify people with heart defects (i think maybe the young rugby player who died shortly after McAnallen), but in some instances there is no obvious solution.  It'd probably be wiser for screening to be introduced, but would the school not be the obvious place to do it - surely that's where most children start playing sports anyway, and one would think that really this should be started there?  I mean, this problem can affect anyone who has a defect and subsequently over exerts, I presume, so, perhaps government interrvention is required, feck knows they throw enough money at health without any tangible results, this would be an easy few million, that might actually make a difference.
As for your mates etc who were playing, that must have been a terrible experience.

Corner Back

Three points Bogball:

1 - The government set up a taskforce which launched a report this year amid much fanfare. It has given recommendations to sports organisations among others, but it hasn't actually done much to tackle the issue, like investing money.

2 - It is very likely that a defibrillator pitch-side or at the clubrooms would have saved Fran Leonard RIP - this is one obvious solution.

3 - Screening is the other obvious solution, and the GAA appears to be starting with county players next year - again, the obvious place to start.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about this issue but the above are facts.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Corner Back on November 20, 2006, 03:57:06 PM
2 - It is very likely that a defibrillator pitch-side or at the clubrooms would have saved Fran Leonard RIP - this is one obvious solution.
But will we ever have the situation where a defibrillator will be present at every game (and obviously with an operator on standby)?  I lost a close relative at a game and have seen 3 other spectators go the same way.  A defib may have saved them, but then who knows?  It certainly wouldn't do any harm - how much for one?

LaurelEye

QuoteBut will we ever have the situation where a defibrillator will be present at every game (and obviously with an operator on standby)?  I lost a close relative at a game and have seen 3 other spectators go the same way.  A defib may have saved them, but then who knows?  It certainly wouldn't do any harm - how much for one?

My own club are involved in trying to get one at the moment. The prices we've been quoted are between €2,200 and €2,700 plus VAT.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Corner Back

But will we ever have the situation where a defibrillator will be present at every game (and obviously with an operator on standby)?

I genuinely believe we will be in the situation, not too far in the future, when there will be defibrillators on standby at all competitive games, and where there will be proper screening procedures at various levels.

Every club or group that has a defibrillator is required to have several people trained in their use, so the answer is yes.

All of this could be speeded up dramatically if people in positions of power did more. It is a disgrace in this day and age that defibrillators are subject to VAT. I know there many be rules to say that you cannot take VAT off such items, but the government, with the huge financial boom, could easily offset the cost involved. In fact, with the election coming up, it should be given some pointed suggestions about doing this.

The other big problem is lack of information. It is shocking how little the government and the medical profession collectively do to raise awareness. The only way this issue returns to the top of the news is when we hear, every month or two, of some poor unfortunate person dying suddenly.

I think that the government, and even a lot of GPs, are reluctant to emphasise the issue to raise awareness, because they realise that the logical end of this would be more work for them.

But people no longer accept the 'head in the sand' approach to medicine, and because of this it is inevitable that positive changes will take place...the question is why should we have to wait so long?

PadraicHenryPearse

as i said in a previous thread on this, i lost a good friend to SADS (although it has another name that escapes me). he didn't died during the match, he came off feeling ill and died in his sleep that night. he has an ecg taken while in hospital some years before and it showed the heart defect but it was not picked up by doctors at the time as they were not aware of the condition. his parents send the results to england to get analysised and were informed almost immediatly that it should the defect, they have since found out that his condition was first diagnois (sp) in America about 30years ago. it is not something that doctors look for in Ireland. Screening is the only solution.

gerry

another tragic story. may he rest in peace

Referee dies after collapsing at hurling match in Swatragh

The referee was treated at the scene by paramedics before being transferred to Coleraine Hospital

A referee has died after collapsing at a hurling match in Swatragh, County derry.

It happened during the quarter final of the senior championship between Kevin Lynch's, Dungiven, and St Colm's, Ballinascreen.

Paramedics treated him on the pitch and then brought him to the changing rooms where the defibrillator was used.

He was then taken to Coleraine hospital.

Around 700 to 800 people were at the game.

It is thought the referee was in his 50s.

On Sunday, a defibrillator was used to resuscitate GAA referee Gabriel Tumelty after he collapsed on the pitch during a match between Burren and Longstone in Newry.

The 46-year-old was taken to Daisy Hill Hospital for treatment.

Last month, Chris McNeill, 17, collapsed during a Milk Cup football game in Portstewart.

He was revived with a defibrillator by a doctor whose son was playing in the game, and members of the St John Ambulance.

The teenager was taken to Coleraine Hospital and later underwent surgery at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

FL/MAYO

New studies are showing that just doing chest compressions of at least 100 a minute will increase survivability.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: FL/MAYO on August 13, 2011, 02:00:33 PM
New studies are showing that just doing chest compressions of at least 100 a minute will increase survivability.
This is now practice. I had my first aid refresher a few months ago and practice is harder and faster i.e. 2" compressions at 100 per minute. Defib is all well and good at a match but if you come on someone the most important thing you can do is ring for an ambulance.