All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

Mayo chucked Barry Moran into full forward with ten to go, but the players kept running at Dublin, and running into trouble.  If you put Moran into full forward it's time for the high diagonal pass, otherwise why put him in.  Dillon hit one in after he came on, think he was subbed in after Moran and seemed to know what the plan was, but most of the rest just ignored him, or hit a ball low in front of him which he'll never get. I swear to God I thought he might have flicked one to the net with 30 seconds to go and we could've all went crazy - but the pass never came.   

moysider

Quote from: Sportacus on October 02, 2016, 10:11:12 PM
Mayo chucked Barry Moran into full forward with ten to go, but the players kept running at Dublin, and running into trouble.  If you put Moran into full forward it's time for the high diagonal pass, otherwise why put him in.  Dillon hit one in after he came on, think he was subbed in after Moran and seemed to know what the plan was, but most of the rest just ignored him, or hit a ball low in front of him which he'll never get. I swear to God I thought he might have flicked one to the net with 30 seconds to go and we could've all went crazy - but the pass never came.

Over the last 5 years this Mayo team have 'looked' best when running the ball. However when we did that we tended to give away soft goals. Under Rochford we tightened up at the back but did not make supporting runs from the back with the same abandon that created scoring chances. You simply cant do both. The forward runs are more sparing and when they happen they have to be clinical. Keegan and Durcan were clinical yesterday but the absence of Vaughan and Keegan down the stretch was a killer. Maybe Barrett could have been used earlier cause he can pick a run and finish.
  I wasn t gone on the Barry Moran approach to things but think to blame lack of quality in Mayo attack is too simplistic. Both sets of forwards struggled for the most part as they were outnumbered. No more than the Mayo forwards quality players like Mannion and Andrews found the going tough. McManamon had a lot of joy running at the defence but found shooting spave difficult to find as well. Costello did well and found space when he was introduced but I suspect that he would have fared little better than the others if he started. Brogan got no joy the first day either. Telling that Brogan and Costello kicked 3 early points after being introduced before Mayo sorted out who was doing what with them. Any of the so called marquee forwards around the country would also have struggled to make a mark in these games.
Only 4 teams have managed to play the game at this intensity since it moved up a notch again last 4/5 years. Most teams can t live with Dublin even before they get serious about things.

moysider

Quote from: thejuice on October 02, 2016, 09:40:41 PM
In a way Mayo did really well to be so close to a team that blew away most of the other competitors when you think that Mayo haven't much if an up front threat. If Mayo find two absolute top drawer forwards they'd have won that and they could utilize Aiden O'Shea more effectively.

Are you serious juice? Surely you know better than that.

Absolute top drawer forwards! Find them in one county!?

I' ll put it this way. I doubt we could buy them if it were possible. We saw 3 top Dublin forwards the last 2 games struggle when they started those matches. Brogan, Andrews and Mannion. People crazily putting those down to having a poor day. There isn't a forward anywhere that would have got much change out of those 2 defences.

blast05

Good God, i've just watched Keegans black card...... i'm dumbstruck. Connolly dived (he did NOT end up on the ground through interference from Keegan so therefore it could not be a black card by the letter of the law).
Connolly talked Deegan into giving the black card - pathetic
Christ, no sleep again tonight after watching that.

sid waddell

Quote from: mouview on October 02, 2016, 10:06:30 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 02, 2016, 09:17:02 PM
Quote from: maigheo on October 02, 2016, 08:39:46 PM
no body takes Indiana seriously on this board anymore.As usual wrong about the black card rule.Well done to Dublin but this will be a hard one to take over the long winter.It did pop into my head after the drawn game re Hennelly and his kick outs being better then Clarkes but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think he would play.Clarke has a huge presence in the Mayo goals and offers peace of mind which is hard to quantify.His all star is now probably gone but I am sure thats the last thing on his mind right now.

I take myself very seriously here because all my points are correct as usual.

As a neutral who had a very good view of it, I also actually thought it wasn't a penalty; Hennelly fumbled the ball, fell over backwards and palmed the ball to a teammate in the same movement. Dub player tried to intervene and manufactured a topple-over. Dublin player was never in possession or likely to get possession of the ball.
My initial impression from behind the goal was that Hennelly both played the ball and got something on the ball.

The replays look pretty damning but there wasn't one from behind.

I don't think it should have been a black card, although it's hard to argue that Hennelly going off actually hurt Mayo.

ballinaman

Don't particularly want to watch the tape but can somebody clear this up for me.
Deegan gave Vaughan and Connolly yellow cards before half time....put the yellow back in card holder and then went to Small and produced another yellow from another pocket of the card holder??
Did I imagine that on the big screen?
Was sure it was a red when he went for another slot for the card.

Halfquarter

Quote from: blast05 on October 02, 2016, 11:08:06 PM
Good God, i've just watched Keegans black card...... i'm dumbstruck. Connolly dived (he did NOT end up on the ground through interference from Keegan so therefore it could not be a black card by the letter of the law).

Ciaran Whelan and other ex Dublin players have been working hard for the last two weeks bad mouthing Keegan, it seems to have worked.

moysider

Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2016, 11:09:33 PM
Quote from: mouview on October 02, 2016, 10:06:30 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 02, 2016, 09:17:02 PM
Quote from: maigheo on October 02, 2016, 08:39:46 PM
no body takes Indiana seriously on this board anymore.As usual wrong about the black card rule.Well done to Dublin but this will be a hard one to take over the long winter.It did pop into my head after the drawn game re Hennelly and his kick outs being better then Clarkes but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think he would play.Clarke has a huge presence in the Mayo goals and offers peace of mind which is hard to quantify.His all star is now probably gone but I am sure thats the last thing on his mind right now.

I take myself very seriously here because all my points are correct as usual.

As a neutral who had a very good view of it, I also actually thought it wasn't a penalty; Hennelly fumbled the ball, fell over backwards and palmed the ball to a teammate in the same movement. Dub player tried to intervene and manufactured a topple-over. Dublin player was never in possession or likely to get possession of the ball.
My initial impression from behind the goal was that Hennelly both played the ball and got something on the ball.

The replays look pretty damning but there wasn't one from behind.

I don't think it should have been a black card, although it's hard to argue that Hennelly going off actually hurt Mayo.

A brother text me form a different part of ground at half time that Hennelly needed to be subbed. I replied that it couldn t happen as we already used 2 subs and besides you never see a goalie subbed during a game. Tonight on Newstalk Anthony Moyles said that he thought that Hennelly looked shot going off at ht.

It's a huge talking point and both in and outside the county it is seen as a catastrophic call by management. Most worrying for Rochford going forward is that people believe that he was browbeaten into the change and had come under pressure to go with Hennelly for the first match.

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on October 02, 2016, 10:58:40 PM
In a way Mayo did really well to be so close to a team that blew away most of the other competitors when you think that Mayo haven't much if an up front threat. If Mayo find two absolute top drawer forwards they'd have won that and they could utilize Aiden O'Shea more effectively.

I' ll put it this way. I doubt we could buy them if it were possible. We saw 3 top Dublin forwards the last 2 games struggle when they started those matches. Brogan, Andrews and Mannion. People crazily putting those down to having a poor day. There isn't a forward anywhere that would have got much change out of those 2 defences.
Cummins and Comer would add something to that Mayo forward line. Give me the f#cking ball forwards are always handy

moysider

Quote from: Halfquarter on October 02, 2016, 11:18:27 PM
Quote from: blast05 on October 02, 2016, 11:08:06 PM

Ciaran Whelan and other ex Dublin players have been working hard for the last two weeks bad mouthing Keegan, it seems to have worked.

Of course it worked. Had to smile when I heard Whelan say that Keegan thing was not a black. When the cup is in the bag you can hand out all the platitudes you want. Job well done CiarĂ¡n and co.
While we shot ourselves in the foot again having 2 of the 3 most important officials from Leinster reeks of bad practice. Anybody who imagines that Dublin did not benefit form the big calls need to go and boil their heads.

blast05

Quote from: ballinaman on October 02, 2016, 11:14:57 PM
Don't particularly want to watch the tape but can somebody clear this up for me.
Deegan gave Vaughan and Connolly yellow cards before half time....put the yellow back in card holder and then went to Small and produced another yellow from another pocket of the card holder??
He put the card back alright having dealt with Connolly and Vaughan .... it looked like he needed to put the card away to write Small's name into the book before showing him the card

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on October 02, 2016, 11:27:12 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 02, 2016, 10:58:40 PM

Cummins and Comer would add something to that Mayo forward line. Give me the f#cking ball forwards are always handy

You're joking right? If not this is the perfect example of people not knowing what they were looking at. Danny would be like a fly hitting a windscreen against that Dublin defence. Hey. he would struggle to get anything off them in March. Comer wouldn't fare much better and probably wouldn t last pissing time before losing the head and picking up a card.

ballinaman

Quote from: blast05 on October 02, 2016, 11:35:42 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 02, 2016, 11:14:57 PM
He put the card back alright having dealt with Connolly and Vaughan .... it looked like he needed to put the card away to write Small's name into the book before showing him the card
Sound, he must have flipped the book so hence I thought he took it from a different pocket.
Deegan the magician is something I can't accuse him of being. Shame

maigheo

I was sure that Small was going to get a red card as well after he put the yellow back in his pocket. The rumors are going to be flying from now till eternity about the goalie change but for what ever reason I am sure Rochsford felt it would be an advantage to his team.Did read in the Mayo News on friday night that Hennelly was warming up with a few min. to go in the drawn game and seemed ready to come on.Even that was an eyeopener for me as I could see no reason for making a change like that so late in the game.I suppose that was the hint that it had been on managements mind all along.

T Toatler

For what it's worth I offer these few opinions.

1. Black card is broke, we had the sin bin and it was voted out.
2. Small shud have got a black.
3. Cooper was unlucky could have got away with it but was likely seething from being clattered after Mayo goal which added to his frustration.
4. Boyle was unlucky in my view. Whilst he was trying initially to grab de jersey which is not a black card, he had let go and Connolly's momentum resulted in him on the ground.
5. It was a peno but I can only be sure after looking again and if anyone tells me it wasn't and they were sure in real time they are doting, especially if they were in de Upper Decks. Oh and black is correct.
6. Connolly and Vaughan could have got black cards for their altercation, Vaughan more so for what could be construed a foot trip, Connolly for barging into him but it didn't take him from the play so on balance correct.

On refs and indeed any ref I am sure having 82,000 'experts' in de stand is daunting and the noise at pitch level adds to it. I am sure Deegan arose yesterday determined to do his best. He got some right and some wrong and that is life. The screaming and shouting when he gave a free against Dublin for a non competing player fetching the ball shows ignorance of the rules and having a go when the kick outs are taken and the receiver is less than 13m away which he can be if he was when the ball was kicked again shows poor rule knowledge. I feel the Media and by extension everyone else is focusing too much on the refs and decisions made. We are gone very Soccer like in this regards and it's not good. It makes for good TV. Ultimately Dublin repelled a great Mayo team, one I would love to see win Sam, but my allegiances are blue. Mayo will be back but they must unearth a few scoring forwards to progress. Dublin deserve huge credit for seeing off Donegal, Kerry and Mayo twice. Mayo the same for putting Tyrone to the sword, arguably their best performance before these two games came along.