Sports stars you remember from when you were a kid

Started by seafoid, May 11, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

omochain

Mike Gibson and Sean O'Neill. If they had both played on the same team at least one more all Ireland for Down and another triple crown for Ireland. I could have suffered the All Ireland to get another Triple Crown.

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Ryano

Most of the Rossie's I'd have mentioned have already been name checked but I'll add two more.

Derek Duggan for that free kick and also the goal against Meath in the AI semi final. I was in Croker for that game and still get a tingle when I think about it. As young fellas he was a hero to us and yet he was only about 6/7 years older. He did an U12&14's training session with us that summer and of course we had to see him do the free kick again. We brought the ball well back past the half way line and guffawed to ourselves that he had no chance. First 2 kicks went wide but the 3rd one....
To hear the wallop of him striking that ball and watch it disappear into the far distance right between the two posts... Well he was God like to us and we spent every session that summer afterwards taking free kicks (from the 21 yeard line!). Just those few hours with us inspired a field of youngsters.

Other one is Enon Gavin and the crossbar. I was at that end of the ground in Castlebar and heard the snap as it split. Still the absolute weirdest thing I've witnessed in a senior inter county game and not likely to be repeated. Even more amazing that the ground staff were able to replace it so quickly!

Anyways off the top of my head, GAA outside Roscommon- Plunkett Donaghy, Willie Joe, Val Daly, Ja Fallon, DJ Carey, Seamus Quinn, Nudie Hughes (what a name), Jack O'Shea, Dinny Allen

Random other names and what i think of- Gordon Strachan (angry scot), Lee Chapman (broken nose), Keith Wood (leader, legend when we were properly shit), Gary Linekar (goal hanger), Lothar Matthaus (gruff German), Jurgan Klinsmann(diver), Pete Sampras(curly hair), Ben Johnson(drugs), Linford Christie(lunch box), Eddie Macken(RDS horses & the army team).

Rufus T Firefly

Although it was my third All Ireland Final, the 1973 Football Final was the one that I actually remember action on the pitch. I've vivid memories of both Jimmy Barry-Murphy and Billy Morgan from that match.

As a kid, my absolute hero was Allan Clarke, Leeds United and England striker. I used to re-enact his goal celebration anytime I managed a goal in St Malachy's school yard.

When I think back to those times, I tend to think of the mavericks / enigmas of that era - Alan Hudson, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Bob Hatton, Frank Worthington, Keith Weller, Derek Dougan, Tony Currie etc etc. Great memories.  :)

PadraicHenryPearse

Little bit younger than most. I was 9 in 91 so alot of similar names to Ryano above. I remember some sporting events back to 88 but mostly 90/91. Only time I saw my father cry was after that meath match. Have never liked them since.

Excuse the spelling

Carl Lewis
Flo jo
Sean Kelly
Stephen Roche
Barry mcguigan
Brian Stafford
Larry Tompkins
Ray houghan
Edberg
Guillt
Nicky English