Eurovision 2016

Started by ONeill, May 08, 2016, 11:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Ireland odds-on not to qualify - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCXueTvhjNo
Russia hot favs to win - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHgxi57Um0w&list=RDgHgxi57Um0w

But this interests me: Bulgaria are 12/1 to win the semi final and Ukraine are odds on. Am I missing something?

Bulgaria - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKsNfccUTuk
Ukraine -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxS6eKEOdLQ

Think Bulgaria a good bet for top 3 overall (around 10/1)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Asal Mor

My money is on the Ukraine. It's different, emotional and I love the chorus where she's singing in whatever that exotic language is. I like the Bulgarian song too. Again, it's different and way better than both the Russian and Irish songs which just sound like harmless, sub-par pop songs to me. Sergey(Russia) just isn't doing it for me at all and I'm at a loss as to why he's such a hot favorite. To me, it sounds no better than Nicky's effort or the UK song. All very bland and interchangeable. Always the greatest show on earth though, so roll on Saturday.

ONeill

Bulgaria out to 80/1 on Bet365. EW 4 places.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 09, 2016, 09:24:15 PM
My money is on the Ukraine. It's different, emotional and I love the chorus where she's singing in whatever that exotic language is. I like the Bulgarian song too. Again, it's different and way better than both the Russian and Irish songs which just sound like harmless, sub-par pop songs to me. Sergey(Russia) just isn't doing it for me at all and I'm at a loss as to why he's such a hot favorite. To me, it sounds no better than Nicky's effort or the UK song. All very bland and interchangeable. Always the greatest show on earth though, so roll on Saturday.
she's a Crimean Tatar. The song is about the stalinist deportations.
the history of that part of the word is gruesome

seafoid

The Gs Man

Based on Spotify plays, Sweden is way out in front apparently.
Keep 'er lit

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on May 10, 2016, 07:36:36 AM
I love it even more now, after reading about the background of the song and the singer's family history. It's a very powerful song. I think it deserves to win.

The Swedish song is good but too corny for my liking. He'll get the teeny-bopper vote and if it was X-Factor he'd win, but I'm not sure what the voting demographic is for Eurovision. I don't like the way he sings in an American accent rather than a Swedish one but that's the way the world is now, I suppose.

muppet

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 11, 2016, 01:15:50 AM
I love it even more now, after reading about the background of the song and the singer's family history. It's a very powerful song. I think it deserves to win.

The Swedish song is good but too corny for my liking. He'll get the teeny-bopper vote and if it was X-Factor he'd win, but I'm not sure what the voting demographic is for Eurovision. I don't like the way he sings in an American accent rather than a Swedish one but that's the way the world is now, I suppose.

How you speak your second language often simply depends on where you learned it.

There are many Poles, for example, that speak english with a strong Irish accent. I have met Swedes with American accents and Swedes with English accents. I have met a Swedish girl with the strongest (and funniest) Limerick accent you have ever heard.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: The Gs Man on May 10, 2016, 09:31:41 AM
Based on Spotify plays, Sweden is way out in front apparently.

Thats probably becasue in Sweden the selection competition, the Melodifestivalen is huge, more important than the actual Eurovision apparently

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on May 11, 2016, 02:33:06 AM

How you speak your second language often simply depends on where you learned it.

There are many Poles, for example, that speak english with a strong Irish accent. I have met Swedes with American accents and Swedes with English accents. I have met a Swedish girl with the strongest (and funniest) Limerick accent you have ever heard.
How many Pakistanis would have a Ballyhaunis accent ?

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on May 11, 2016, 08:39:29 AM
Quote from: muppet on May 11, 2016, 02:33:06 AM

How many Pakistanis would have a Ballyhaunis accent ?

I'm sure there are lots, but I wouldn't be in Ballyhaunis very often.

But I know kids from Syria, Poland, Italy, China etc with strong Dublin accents.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

During our development squad sessions, we had a lad in with us from Kenya originally, or at least his parents were. He had the most weojeous Tipp accent I've ever heard :) Think Pat Shortt in Killoscully, or Effin Eddie Moroney. Thatttt's Riiiggght. It sounded so incongruous but I loved it :)

seafoid

I used to work in India and I was the only European in the office. Every so often there would be a meeting with a client from the UK  who would be the Indian version of a plastic paddy. I was so used to the Indian way of behaving. The hand gestures, the phrasing, the head movements, the vegetarianism. And there would be someone with the gimp of an Indian opposite but a brummie or London accent. And virtually nothing in common with the Indians.

Irish Poles wouldn't have much in common with people at home in Poland in the second generation .

Captain Obvious

Ireland with the most Eurovision wins can no longer qualify for the final, where did it all go wrong?

BennyCake

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 12, 2016, 10:08:06 PM
Ireland with the most Eurovision wins can no longer qualify for the final, where did it all go wrong?

Wrong? This is good news!