Be advised my passport's green...the Board and British passports

Started by deiseach, February 22, 2016, 02:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you eligible for, and in possession of, a British passport?

Yes
21 (31.3%)
No
46 (68.7%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: February 27, 2016, 02:06:58 PM

deiseach

Curious to know how many of ye have a British passport. Obviously this is aimed at those oop North, but isn't exclusive to them.

general_lee

I have had one in the past. Might get it back just to have. Is/was cheaper to get an Irish one

Billys Boots

As my parents were both Irish citizens prior to 1948 I think that I'm entitled to a British passport, but I've never had one. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hound

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 22, 2016, 02:46:00 PM
As my parents were both Irish citizens prior to 1948 I think that I'm entitled to a British passport, but I've never had one.
Does it have to be both, or would one pre '48 parent suffice?

Would there be any benefit whatsover for having a British passport if you have an Irish one already I wonder?

Longshanks

I have a british one but just because first time I got it was in a rush and its easier with them, that said the next one will be Irish and same with any kids.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hound on February 22, 2016, 03:10:27 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on February 22, 2016, 02:46:00 PM
Does it have to be both, or would one pre '48 parent suffice?

Would there be any benefit whatsover for having a British passport if you have an Irish one already I wonder?

Only one parent pre-48 I think. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

illdecide

I could get a British Passport if i wanted but I've always owned an Irish Passport and so have my two children.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

I was gonna complement you on the wording of your poll, but I think it is flawed. The no vote would be shewed with people who are not eligible. A better poll might have been:
- eligible and does have a british passport
- eligible and does not have a british passport
- not eligible

When I first applied for my Irish passport I was eligible because my granny was born in Ireland before 1922 or thereabouts. Does that still rule apply?

My wife once suggested getting a british passport for convenience, and I told her over my dead body. Despite a strong temptation, she decided against it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

deiseach

Quote from: Orior on February 22, 2016, 04:10:44 PM
I was gonna complement you on the wording of your poll, but I think it is flawed. The no vote would be shewed with people who are not eligible. A better poll might have been:
- not eligible

Are people really that eager that to get involved that they'd vote without being sure they are eligible? I'm shocked, I tells you, shocked!

Harold Disgracey

No glass of ours was ever raised to toast the queen.

Never had one and would never contemplate getting one.

ziggysego

I could get one if I wanted, but always had and will continue to get an Irish passport.
Testing Accessibility

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on February 22, 2016, 04:10:44 PM
- not eligible

When I first applied for my Irish passport I was eligible because my granny was born in Ireland before 1922 or thereabouts. Does that still rule apply?

My wife once suggested getting a british passport for convenience, and I told her over my dead body. Despite a strong temptation, she decided against it.
I was going to say the same but I was suddenly overcome by a wave of irredentism

screenexile

I can have 3 passports, British, Canadian and Irish... I have a British one it was cheapest at the time so haven't bothered changing it.

Does it really matter a whole lot? As a great (actually dodgy, dodgy charachter who was in the RA and ripped off a load of people in Dublin) man once said "If you were hungry tomorrow, which of the 2 passports would you eat?!"

Champion The Wonder Horse

Never did, never will.
Have a British passport that is.

A bit surprised by the Draperstown boy though.