Sigerson Cup

Started by mad tan, January 21, 2016, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: ck on January 25, 2016, 11:01:42 PM
Syferus I think the issue you were referring to was where IT Sligo was accused by Queen's of having an illegal player. It turned out he was illegal and the Sligo lads genuinely where not aware of it. (He was SU president) Ignorance is no excuse I know. Hardly a comparison to the antics of UUJ who flaunt the rules year after year though.

QUB were using players from another smaller affiliated college and got thrown out themselves. Far more shady than playing a non-county SU president who actually managed the freshers' team in years previous. In the end the Doak situation was solved and ITS got to stay in.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Syferus on January 25, 2016, 10:51:21 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on January 25, 2016, 10:27:08 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 25, 2016, 09:53:08 PM
Quote from: ck on January 25, 2016, 09:48:03 PM
Scholarships are and continue to be a form of buying success. Mainly by DCU it has to be said.
Whilst the average GAA supporter hasn't got the first clue or even care who won Sigerson or who plays for who, the younger generation will know and they are the colleges target market, so it becomes a form of marketing.. by DCU. I used to work for an IT and I can tell you that the likes of DCU struggle for applications when compared to UCD, Trinity, UCC so this is their marketing tool. It puts them on the map, where their academic standing can't.

Sigerson is a terrific competition but its appeal and credibility is dwindling every year.

The Ulster colleges are far more agregious than DCU who generally bring in players in first year play them up through the freshers competitions and then onto Sigerson, not players on one year add-ons like UUJ is so fond of.

There are three entrants from Ulster in the Sigerson, UU have always had allegations thrown around about their "recruitment policies". Are you just throwing mud at Queens and St Mary's and hoping it sticks?

DCU and UU are sows of the one litter.

QUB have had their share in recent years. Last year's comical sour grapes with ITS after they were fairly beaten highlighted their questionable use of players. St. Mary's I have little clue of and was referring to UUJ and QUB in particular.

Expand on QUB's fair share. They fucked up last year regarding the Stranmillis players issue but I don't recall any previous, and the use of the Stranmillis players is not comparable to the likes of UU and DCU practices.

So by your own admission you have little clue of St Marys but decided to throw mud at them?

Syferus

Quote from: oakleafgael on January 25, 2016, 11:27:04 PM
Scholarships are and continue to be a form of buying success. Mainly by DCU it has to be said.
Whilst the average GAA supporter hasn't got the first clue or even care who won Sigerson or who plays for who, the younger generation will know and they are the colleges target market, so it becomes a form of marketing.. by DCU. I used to work for an IT and I can tell you that the likes of DCU struggle for applications when compared to UCD, Trinity, UCC so this is their marketing tool. It puts them on the map, where their academic standing can't.

Sigerson is a terrific competition but its appeal and credibility is dwindling every year.

The Ulster colleges are far more agregious than DCU who generally bring in players in first year play them up through the freshers competitions and then onto Sigerson, not players on one year add-ons like UUJ is so fond of.

There are three entrants from Ulster in the Sigerson, UU have always had allegations thrown around about their "recruitment policies". Are you just throwing mud at Queens and St Mary's and hoping it sticks?

QUB have had their share in recent years. Last year's comical sour grapes with ITS after they were fairly beaten highlighted their questionable use of players. St. Mary's I have little clue of and was referring to UUJ and QUB in particular.

Expand on QUB's fair share. They fucked up last year regarding the Stranmillis players issue but I don't recall any previous, and the use of the Stranmillis players is not comparable to the likes of UU and DCU practices.

So by your own admission you have little clue of St Marys but decided to throw mud at them?

So UUJ and QUB aren't in Ulster? I said Ulster colleges not all Ulster colleges under the Sun so I really fail to see what you're arguing over.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Syferus on January 25, 2016, 11:47:53 PM

So UUJ and QUB aren't in Ulster? I said Ulster colleges not all Ulster colleges under the Sun so I really fail to see what you're arguing over.

You said "The Ulster Colleges", maybe you didn't mean to throw them all in together but you did.

Syferus

Quote from: oakleafgael on January 26, 2016, 09:30:59 AM
Quote from: Syferus on January 25, 2016, 11:47:53 PM

You said "The Ulster Colleges", maybe you didn't mean to throw them all in together but you did.

I didn't say all Ulster colleges, though.

take_yer_points

Quote from: hardstation on January 23, 2016, 01:33:16 AM
Quote from: ck on January 22, 2016, 11:47:00 PM
Genuine question. If Sigerson was scrapped tomorrow what would be the implications?
The fact is, the players love it. They are the boys who are training and participating in it. They aren't young, naive kids either. If the players want to play, let them play. There is more desire for it amongst its participating players than there is for the McKenna Cup amongst its participating players. So, fecking scrap that or "make it a competition for non-county players" or some other bollix.

I don't deny that University football, entrance requirements, extra UCAS points etc etc etc has turned the whole thing into a joke but the competition still carries a lot of weight amongst the players.

How does the extra UCAS points thing work? I'm assuming grades aren't artificially lifted by awarding bodies so are colleges awarding extra points themselves?

Is it something similar to this (link below)?

http://www.ulster.ac.uk/sport/files/2014/10/Application-Form-2015-A4WEB-26Sept143.pdf

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Ah the ol annual gaaboard "Slate the Sigerson" brigade march is in swing I see!

Rumours abound that this new "Ulster University" collaboration are taking the piss again this year? Hopefully not true.

There are still plenty REAL student teams lads, don't worry. The likes of UCD, UCC, NUIM have done well in the competition without ever having dubious players. I have to admit, it was probably IT Tralee that started off the recruitment stuff back in 90s, but DCU and Jordanstown especially seem to be on a different level in recent years.
DCU single handedly ruined the football career of Aidan Walsh for example, by luring him up from Cork with a scholarship, apartment sharing with Michael Murphy and Paul Flynn etc. All the while knowing he was ineligible to play Sigerson, despite their attempts to railroad through an appeal. As a result, Walsh dropped out of his course after 2 years (whether through financial concerns or disillusionement at the football situation or both) and switched codes to hurling almost immediately.

In general though, there is nothing wrong with normal GAA scholarships though as they barely cover a fraction of the cost of living for students. I certainly wouldn't begrudge any Sigerson player who is a genuine student getting the €1500 or so provincial bursary.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

ck

Slate the Sigerson? Don't think anyone is slating it buddy!

Agree on the Aidan Walsh thing.

ck

Quote from: Syferus on January 25, 2016, 11:05:18 PM
Syferus I think the issue you were referring to was where IT Sligo was accused by Queen's of having an illegal player. It turned out he was illegal and the Sligo lads genuinely where not aware of it. (He was SU president) Ignorance is no excuse I know. Hardly a comparison to the antics of UUJ who flaunt the rules year after year though.

QUB were using players from another smaller affiliated college and got thrown out themselves. Far more shady than playing a non-county SU president who actually managed the freshers' team in years previous. In the end the Doak situation was solved and ITS got to stay in.

Think you might be factually incorrect there. As far as I know Stranmillis teacher training is in Queens and they've always had players from there. I questioned this is the past and Stranmillis students have QUB student cards and that. For ITS Doak was a genuine mistake, which can happen.
None of these should be compared to the antics of DCU or UUJ (or whatever they call themselves this year). It's always convenient for DCU and UUJ to point the finger and say ah sure they're all at it.

Kickham csc

You mean students studying for a Masters? Heaven forbid UUJ offering quality masters program.

Kickham csc

[/b]

New year same BS from ck

Please supply evidence of year on year flaunting of rules please

Syferus

Quote from: Kickham csc on January 26, 2016, 03:05:41 PM

You mean students studying for a Masters? Heaven forbid UUJ offering quality masters program.

Such quality that All-a star calibur players are getting scholarships in another jurisdiction each year is it? People complain about DCU but for the last near half a decade they've built from the bottom up. UUJ have tried and failed to buy Sigersons.

Captain Obvious

2pm game result. IT Carlow 1-10 IT Sligo 0-10

Any craic

Video from the Sigerson game this afternoon - decent goal and save..
https://youtu.be/YP84F6P7W6w

Kickham csc

Quote from: Syferus on January 26, 2016, 03:09:42 PM
Quote from: Kickham csc on January 26, 2016, 03:05:41 PM

Such quality that All-a star calibur players are getting scholarships in another jurisdiction each year is it? People complain about DCU but for the last near half a decade they've built from the bottom up. UUJ have tried and failed to buy Sigersons.

So UUJ don't have freshers, 2nd 3rd teams anymore??? And all the scholarships that UUJ give to the hurling, camogie and ladies football team are all part of the sinister way to buy Sigersons!!!! UUJGAA community should be commended on the program they are delivering, ensure all aspects of the club are in scope.

Buying Sigersons is a urban myth.

Qualification for scholarships is based on entry requirements and a minimum sporting level (county), so they are set up to attract quality county players. Why... because UUJ sports department has set up a serious sports research program and the elite player scholarship is central to the program. (Note, the program is for all sports, not just GAA, even though the GAA club were the innovators)

"getting scholarships in another jurisdiction" you mean, for example, having a technical or scientific undergrad and getting a MBA, precisely the multi functional background these programs want. Or PGCE - teaching certs,  which is the route to qualify as a teacher, for someone who didn't attend a teaching college and had a degree in a different jurisdiction......

On the academic side, UUJGaa has no influence over who can qualify to get into a degree, they need to have the exam results / qualifications to get in (managed by UUJ office).  UUJGAA can only influence who gets the sports scholarship, once the UUJ office say they qualify.