Who do you CONSIDER the dirtiest team in Ulster in the last 20 years?

Started by Fuzzman, December 16, 2015, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

With 2016 having so many Tyrone v Derry matches lined up it reminded me of the rivalry between the two clubs back in the nineties and that epic game in 1995 which Mugsy admitted on TSG its his favourite ever GAA moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEc9kyQoGg

There were some rough & dirty matches with a lot of teams trying their hardest to take Canavan out of the equation.
I was lucky enough to watch PTG in his prime and how he used to waltz around teams single-handedly.

Then Armagh became our new biggest rivals in the noughties as they dominated Ulster for most of that decade.
In my totally impartial eyes I always considered Armagh the most physical and dirtiest team in Ulster if not in the country but then as I got older I saw others saw Tyrone as no angles either. My earliest memories of Tyrone was in Omagh v Armagh with the Grimleys playing and players being punched even before the ball was thrown in.

So I thought with the board being so quiet lately I wondered how would most people answer this question.
We all know the last few years the bad reputation Tyrone have built up with Tiernan McCann adding another bow to the equation after the Sean Cavanagh tackle and Brolly's outburst.

No doubt Tyrone and Armagh fans will have loads to say (most said before) but I am curious how others see us and other counties like Donegal & Monaghan in recent years.
Feel free to post the odd interesting picture.

Green Fields

You wonder why the GAA has a tarnished reputation with threads of this type, grow up FFS.

Aristo 60

Fuzzman

Go back to sleep if you don't want to take part ya eejit.
Do you really think stirring up a bit of craic from yesteryear is gonna tarnish the GAA? You grow up FFS.  ::)

Everybody loved our very own Ricey & who can forget Paul Donnelly throwing McCartan's boot into the crowd.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fuzzman

Good man Ross. Thanks for that well researched and educated response. Its good to get a balanced opinion
As a matter of interest do you think Mayo have got more dirty or "craftier" (Kerry word for dirty) in the last few years as Brolly suggested a few years ago?

screenexile

Fuzzman

Armagh, Tyrone, Mayo, Kerry & Dublin...All teams who made it to the AI final or semifinals several years during the last 20 years and so played more high intensity matches than other so called "Smaller" teams.
Do you think Philly McMahon is a clean player? Don't see you finding many pics of his antics.

Good man Screen. You indeed were one of my main targets that I thought about when opening this can of worms.

So for you Tyrone are by far the dirtiest team is that right?
Would you say Derry were squeaky clean back in the early nineties? Open question, no need to be defensive.
Would you say Barton will make ye a tougher nut to crack than in recent years.

screenexile

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 16, 2015, 04:43:29 PM
Good man Screen. You indeed were one of my main targets that I thought about when opening this can of worms.

So for you Tyrone are by far the dirtiest team is that right?
Would you say Derry were squeaky clean back in the early nineties? Open question, no need to be defensive.
Would you say Barton will make ye a tougher nut to crack than in recent years.

Not saying we were squeaky clean at all far from it. . . our team of the early nineties had no sneaky boys on it though they could give a slap and take a slap not that nasty stuff your lads would have been at with all the trash talking, grabbing balls, dropping knees etc.

Barton can only do so much. We don't have the players we are very much in a rebuilding phase this year. Maintaining Div. 2 status and getting to an Ulster Final would be the goal this year I would say. By rights you should beat us out the gate in the first round but we have a habit of lifting our game against the old enemy and I'd say Barton is peaking for that. After that you'd fancy it 50/50 against Armagh and then we'll get beat by a more seasoned team like Monaghan/Donegal.

My own preference would be for us not to bow out meekly in the Qualifiers. If we get beat by a team that are better than us so be it but this shite the last few years of getting beat by Galway/Longford/Cavan isn't on! We've supposedly been a division 1 team the last 3 years!!

BennyCake

Most teams can dish out physically, I've no issue with that, but Tyrone were disgusting at times. Every trick in the book was played, and not just on the field either.

general_lee

There's no slyer, dirtier, sneakier more underhand team than Tyrone.

I almost have a sneaky admiration for them.

JoG2

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 16, 2015, 03:55:48 PM
Go back to sleep if you don't want to take part ya eejit.
Do you really think stirring up a bit of craic from yesteryear is gonna tarnish the GAA? You grow up FFS.  ::)

Everybody loved our very own Ricey & who can forget [b]Paul Donnelly throwing McCartan's boot into the crowd.[/b]

Nice to hear he took a wee rest from the nipping to do that,  fair play to him!

giveballaghback

Countdown.
9th Antrim {they dont get to play that often.
8th. Fermanagh. A genuine old style football team. Great supporters.
7th Down, A great sporting team with genuine supporters.
6th Cavan. The sleeping giant of Ulster football, honest county and friendly supporters.
5th. Donegal. Will mix it if they have to but would prefer to play football.
4th Monaghan. Hard hitting football not always legal.
3rd. Derry, the slide starts here, win at all costs.
And joint no. 1 Tyrone and Armagh, could not separate these 2 for all the wrong reasons, filthy teams with filthy mouths.
Thats it lads, no retaliation or sledging now.

ONeill

Tyrone definitely.

Winners need dirt and Tyrone had 2 players in defence prepared to do whatever it took. I don't think Armagh were particularly dirty. Stupidly clumsy but not dirty.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.