Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

I'm surprised how many neutrals seem to think Tyrone will take Monaghan.
Met loads in Galway and back here in Dublin who all think Tyrone have what it takes to beat them

I think this is a very new look Tyrone team & whilst it has experience it always struggles against a HEAVY blanket which both Monaghan and Donegal play very well. Even Kerry now can smother teams instead of playing their much more open game.
I can see Kerry playing open until they meet the Dubs and then suffocating them in the final.

My head says Monaghan but my heart and every other neutral says Tyrone.

rrhf

A description of the Monaghan approach from a Donegal supporter last night was "that it was more like a wet blanket and wasn't that mobile but like any wet blanket it is not that nice when you are hit with it or stuck in the middle of it."  He described this Monaghan team as one of the most physical teams that have ever come out of Ulster.   Tyrone might not have enough big men to cope with the wet blanket.   

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: rrhf on August 05, 2015, 05:55:19 PM
A description of the Monaghan approach from a Donegal supporter last night was "that it was more like a wet blanket and wasn't that mobile but like any wet blanket it is not that nice when you are hit with it or stuck in the middle of it."  He described this Monaghan team as one of the most physical teams that have ever come out of Ulster.   Tyrone might not have enough big men to cope with the wet blanket.

I'm lovin it  :)

Fuzzman

Will Monaghan's discipline let them down on Saturday I wonder.
Ye get away with a lot more in Ulster than you do in Croker with the Southern softie refs.
I can see a few red, yellow and black cards on Sat

We no longer have any hard men though. We're whiter than white these days and is why we will win nothing in the years to come.  ;D

BennyCake

Is this match on Sky only, or do Telly Eireann have it as well?

muppet

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on August 05, 2015, 06:01:20 PM
Quote from: rrhf on August 05, 2015, 05:55:19 PM

I'm lovin it  :)

Hang them out to dry.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Fuzzman

Who do the "neutrals" on here want to win this.
I'd say Kerry would prefer Tyrone next as we're ripe for the picking now in Croker.
I'm amazed how many think we're in with a shout this year. Look at who we've beaten ffs.

barelegs

I don't think it's about who we've beaten Fuzzman it's about the trajectory of Tyrone's progress since they lost to Monaghan in the league.

After that game they started to adapt a more defensive/ counter-attacking approach. That saw them beat Mayo, and draw with Dublin and Kerry. Indeed had McCurry gone for goal against Kerry in the final minutes instead of taking a point Tyrone could well have beaten Kerry in Omagh.

Now the new system has taken time to bed in, not so much in defence, which has been fairly sound, but in attack. The optimism has come from a more fluid attacking style. They've a couple of forwards who seem to be showing better form, Darren McCurry had been rubbish earlier in the qualifiers but he's coming into form at the right time of year. Yes we've beaten nothing but the signs of progress have been there. It's easy to forget Tyrone hadn't won three games in a row in over two years before the win over Tipperary.

Tyrone have been preparing for this weekend since they were beaten by Donegal in Ballybofey (don't forget they were the width of the crossbar from drawing with Donegal on their home patch). If they bring the intensity and aggression they showed against Donegal to the rest of the championship then they'll give any team left in the championship plenty to ponder.

ONeill

Any hack pundits going for Tyrone? Haven't read any.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

Quote from: BennyCake on August 05, 2015, 07:10:55 PM

It's only on Sky. That's our last three games in a row on Sky, real pain in the arse.

trileacman

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 05, 2015, 08:53:08 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 05, 2015, 07:10:55 PM

It's only on Sky. That's our last three games in a row on Sky, real pain in the arse. godsend.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

StGallsGAA

So long as Tyrone can reasonably contain McManus and avoid giving away frees inside the 45 they should win.  Provided of course the forwards don't  have another "couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo" sort of day!

Aaron Boone

I can see it being a replica of the league match in Omagh. Strong start by Tyrone, but Monaghan by far the strongest team in the last three quarters of the match. Kerry will be tested by the Farney in the semis make no mistake.

charlie linkbox

Monaghan by 4-6 points.
Better players, better team, simple as that.