Living here vs USA, 2015

Started by 50fiftyball, July 26, 2015, 08:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: heganboy on January 21, 2016, 06:25:43 PM
For those who are into an auld bag of tayto (yellow) and any other sort of food hankerings foodireland.com really cant be bate. And tommy moloneys sebsite does a good job too

Holeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Shit.   :D :D :D :D :D :D

Beffs

If any of ye are hankering for stuff from home and there is a Cost Plus World Market near you, check it out. They are usually good for a wide range of stuff, from the d'aul Cadburys choc, to Birds Custard to Bisto gravy.

gawa316

Quote from: Beffs on January 21, 2016, 07:05:49 PM
If any of ye are hankering for stuff from home and there is a Cost Plus World Market near you, check it out. They are usually good for a wide range of stuff, from the d'aul Cadburys choc, to Birds Custard to Bisto gravy.

Plus the oul HP!

Fresh n Easy used to be great for it bacon, gravy granules etc

Puckoon

You can get HP in most grocery stores here now, as well as Coleman's Mustard.

Cost Plus is a great shout for the bickies and snacks, but I am looking forward to some cocktail sausages!!!!

gawa316

Anyone on here from the LA region? Need to go to San Dimas in a couple of weeks. Is there anywhere around there nice to stay? Nice area, close to restaurants/bars etc. Doesn't have to be be in San Dimas, don't know the area at all not sure if the neighboring places are better or not.

Tony Baloney

How's it looking for you chaps on the east coast? Hatches battened down for the weekend?!

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 21, 2016, 05:21:34 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 21, 2016, 04:07:48 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 21, 2016, 04:02:48 PM
Joining or being involved with the local GAA team is hardly hanging on for dear life, especially for someone who spends time on a GAA Board run from Ireland :)
thats not what I meant - sorry if it came across that way - theres a few heads in there who only have irish friends, sing irish songs eat irish food and drink irish beer

Where do they get the Irish food from? Do you mean Kerrs Pinks, back bacon, pork sausages and proper turnips?

We've a dedicated Irish grocery shop near us in Queens. Provincial papers, Weetabix/Flahavan's porridge, bacon, sausages, toiletries, batch loaves, etc. etc. even Donegal Catch!  :P They'll have shelves packed with all the Easter Eggs from home shortly.

And most of the regular supermarkets and convenience stores in the area carry a small range of Irish stuff like Brennan's bread, biscuits, sauces, tins of beans/peas, Miwadi/Robinsons, crisps, Mars bars etc. Although the conveniece stores should be treated with extreme caution - even their American stuff can stay on the shelves a year or two past the sell-by date! My American wife even gets Kerrygold butter at Costco!

J70

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 23, 2016, 06:11:39 PM
How's it looking for you chaps on the east coast? Hatches battened down for the weekend?!

Shoveled four times today. Was coming down at more than an inch every half hour for much of the day. Up past my knees now on our deck. One more shoveling in the morning after its stopped should do it, but its an absolute mess. Neighbour said its the worst he's seen, and he's been in his house more than 20 years. Got in a row with another neighbour over where to put it all. He was giving me shit for piling it up in front of a parked car in front of our house, all the while he's pushing his stuff out into the road for the snow plough to push it all onto our side of the street (free advice if you buy a house on a one-way street - stick to the side opposite where the snow ploughs push the snow!).

seafoid

The US is very dynamic and a cultural powerhouse but the next few years are going to be very hard economically, imo.
http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/01/15/40-YEARS-OF-ECONOMIC-POLICY-IN-ONE-CHART/

gawa316

Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2016, 09:25:02 AM
The US is very dynamic and a cultural powerhouse but the next few years are going to be very hard economically, imo.
http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/01/15/40-YEARS-OF-ECONOMIC-POLICY-IN-ONE-CHART/

That's all very well and good but have you advice on where I can stay in San Dimas?!!

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: J70 on January 24, 2016, 01:47:28 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on January 21, 2016, 05:21:34 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 21, 2016, 04:07:48 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 21, 2016, 04:02:48 PM
Joining or being involved with the local GAA team is hardly hanging on for dear life, especially for someone who spends time on a GAA Board run from Ireland :)
thats not what I meant - sorry if it came across that way - theres a few heads in there who only have irish friends, sing irish songs eat irish food and drink irish beer

Where do they get the Irish food from? Do you mean Kerrs Pinks, back bacon, pork sausages and proper turnips?

We've a dedicated Irish grocery shop near us in Queens. Provincial papers, Weetabix/Flahavan's porridge, bacon, sausages, toiletries, batch loaves, etc. etc. even Donegal Catch!  :P They'll have shelves packed with all the Easter Eggs from home shortly.

And most of the regular supermarkets and convenience stores in the area carry a small range of Irish stuff like Brennan's bread, biscuits, sauces, tins of beans/peas, Miwadi/Robinsons, crisps, Mars bars etc. Although the conveniece stores should be treated with extreme caution - even their American stuff can stay on the shelves a year or two past the sell-by date! My American wife even gets Kerrygold butter at Costco!

61st St Deli or Butcher's Block?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J70 on January 24, 2016, 01:53:46 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 23, 2016, 06:11:39 PM

Shoveled four times today. Was coming down at more than an inch every half hour for much of the day. Up past my knees now on our deck. One more shoveling in the morning after its stopped should do it, but its an absolute mess. Neighbour said its the worst he's seen, and he's been in his house more than 20 years. Got in a row with another neighbour over where to put it all. He was giving me shit for piling it up in front of a parked car in front of our house, all the while he's pushing his stuff out into the road for the snow plough to push it all onto our side of the street (free advice if you buy a house on a one-way street - stick to the side opposite where the snow ploughs push the snow!).

I think I prefer the Russian system where they scoop the snow up and put it on a conveyor that feeds it into the back of the lorry. They're going to have to start doing the same back east, this business of throwing it all into the side of the road isn't going to be good enough.

The Iceman

any exiles who enjoy some scenery from home this lad takes amazing photographs and sells them - I have one of the Navan Fort and it's spectacular:
https://www.facebook.com/PatrickHughesPhotographyArmagh/
He is from Armagh so lots of local shots but also ventures all over Ireland as you will see from his albums.  He is going to work on one in the spring of my home house and I plan to buy copies for the aunts and uncles who live overseas.
Thought I would give him a plug on here
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Oraisteach

Iceman, thanks for posting that link.  Never saw the Shammills look so radiant.  Holy cow, the Shambles radiant!  Some awesome photos.

The Iceman

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 26, 2016, 12:33:47 AM
Iceman, thanks for posting that link.  Never saw the Shammills look so radiant.  Holy cow, the Shambles radiant!  Some awesome photos.
aye some great work from the Drone photos - shots of the cathedral with a storm in the background are epic. He has provided coverage for UTV news lately  - think he just started photography recently. I don't know whether it's luck or skill but he takes a great photo - I bought mine for 30GBP including postage!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight