Great GAA Families

Started by sam03/05, November 19, 2006, 08:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: 4father on September 27, 2011, 09:10:45 PM
What was the name of the two brothers who hurled for Wexford?  Two hard men.  Think his Da managed their club team?  Guiney was it?

Dave and Rod Guiney from Rathnure. They are twins I think. Rod was on the NUIM freshers hurling team only a few years ago!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

4father

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 27, 2011, 09:35:11 PM
Quote from: 4father on September 27, 2011, 09:10:45 PM
What was the name of the two brothers who hurled for Wexford?  Two hard men.  Think his Da managed their club team?  Guiney was it?

Dave and Rod Guiney from Rathnure. They are twins I think. Rod was on the NUIM freshers hurling team only a few years ago!

WHAT??  Oldest fresher ever!

Too lazy to check if people have mentioned the Dooley's or the Whelahans??

Also lots of good Antrim families.  The Delargy's of Cushendall.  The O'Kanes of Dunloy.  The McCallins of St Johns.

snippets

Armagh, Grimley
Wexford hurling and Camog, Jacob
Dublin football/Tipp hurling Carr family 
Derry Kielts
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

furboot

Probably mentioned already but the Donnellans of Galway - 3 Generations with All Ireland winners medals but what reminded me was reading this account yesterday about the mixed emotions the family experienced in teh All Ireland win of 1964.
http://videogaagaa.blogspot.com/2011/09/on-this-day-1964-triumph-and-tragedy.html

And the Brogans of Dublin - double representation for the Dubs in the 70's with Bernard Snr and brother Jim, 3 sons in this years panel .... and Padraic , a first cousin of Bernard Snr,  who was an outstanding player with Mayo in 70's and 80's (and I think ended up playing a year with Donegal in 1991) and who scored one of the best goals ever in Croke Park, against Dublin as it happens,  in 1985

NaomhBridAbú

Plunkett and Colm Donaghy: Tyrone...their da, Big Pat Donaghy, played for Tyrone in the 1950s

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

pearseog

5 Clarke brothers would have played for Pearse Og in Armagh - Tomas, Ronan, Conor, Sean and Ros

Leo

If you are looking for GAA royalty:

James & Dan McCartan
Their father the ultra legend Briany
James sons Brian, Wee James, Charlie Pat, Daniel, Eoin - all played for Down
As did Dan's son Mark
Even his brother-in-law George Glynn.

Now the cousins .......
Sean & Kevin O'Neill
Val & D J Kane
Seamus & Dominic McCartan
Seamus 's sons John & Jim
Dominic's son Paul
John's son Shea on the minors this year

Now move to the Blaney connection ....

Enough???

None of these got a mention in a book I picked up in Easons lately by one of those erudite observers of the game - whose name escapes me - but who waxed lyrical about every family south of Dundalk who ever had more then two sons.
Fierce tame altogether

AZOffaly

I think it's more about what they've won. Sure my father and his brother played for Westmeath hurling and football, myself and my brother represented Offaly and my two cousins played football for Westmeath, with one of them captaining the All Ireland Minor winning team. Two other cousins played for Westmeath as well, with one of them on the same minor team. I doubt if we're in the book :) Edit - I should clarify, when I say represented Offaly I mean briefly. I was just around long enough to rob a jersey :D

onefaircounty

A few in Armagh alright

Kernans - Would have a huge collection of medals
McConvilles
O'Rourke's - would they hold some sort of record for most provincial winning medals?
McNultys