USFC SF: Monaghan vs. Fermanagh, Sunday June 21st 2015 at 4pm, TBC

Started by GrandMasterFlash, June 05, 2015, 01:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

managed to keep meself away from the score all day and i cant get feckin bbc2 north over here.

Zulu

Quote from: theticklemister on June 21, 2015, 07:37:06 PM
managed to keep meself away from the score all day and i cant get feckin bbc2 north over here.

In Britain? It's channel 972 on a sky box.

theticklemister

Quote from: Zulu on June 21, 2015, 08:22:14 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on June 21, 2015, 07:37:06 PM

In Britain? It's channel 972 on a sky box.

ive virgin

Zulu

Quote from: armaghniac on June 21, 2015, 07:34:31 PM
33 points and a goal, typical sterile Ulster blanket defensive game.

T'was hardly champagne stuff now. Plenty of very good scores but not a good game.

twohands!!!

Monaghan subs scored 0-5 off the bench all from play.

That's a very decent scoring contribution from a subs bench.

As a contrast Fermanagh's subs contributed 0-1 to their total.

Monaghan used 6 subs while Fermanagh used 4.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Zulu on June 21, 2015, 08:27:44 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 21, 2015, 07:34:31 PM
33 points and a goal, typical sterile Ulster blanket defensive game.

T'was hardly champagne stuff now. Plenty of very good scores but not a good game.

The first 10 minutes was very poor stuff - both sides made a raft of errors early on.
Luckily the game got a bit better as the game went on but it was no classic.

The worry for Monaghan is how much of their scores came when Fermanagh tired in the 2nd half. That's not going to be happening against Donegal. 1-5 of their 1-20 total was scored in the last 10 minutes. Also 0-7 of Monaghan's total came from deadballs - it's unlikely in the extreme, they'll get the same sort of return from deadballs the next day out.

babarino

No disrespect to Fermanagh, but that was good preparation for the Ulster Final.

No disrespect to Derry, but we'll have to improve the passing quality in the final quarter, if we're going to win the final against Donegal.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Schkite

I wouldn't call it a worry how we improved in the second half, surely that's a positive, and a good indicator of our fitness and bench options. As I said before, I think even without the red card we'd have held the lead and won, just by maybe 5/6 points less. But I suppose that's speculation at this point.

I wouldn't take our performance against Fermanagh as any indication of how we'll play in the final. Different teams, and we've a month to prepare. Alot we can improve on but we're where we want to be at the moment I would say. The final will clearly be a big step up in class and that will be accounted for in preparation.

Impressive performances by the Hughes's, Dessie and O'Connell, and the bench with Duffy in particular standing out. I'd have him ahead of Carey any day, but maybe Malachy prefers to have him sprung from the bench. He certainly put his case forward for selection today, and I don't think we can afford to leave a half-forward scoring option like that on the bench in the final.

babarino

Quote from: Schkite on June 21, 2015, 09:34:41 PM

Impressive performances by the Hughes's, Dessie and O'Connell, and the bench with Duffy in particular standing out. I'd have him ahead of Carey any day, but maybe Malachy prefers to have him sprung from the bench. He certainly put his case forward for selection today, and I don't think we can afford to leave a half-forward scoring option like that on the bench in the final.

I agree. Duffy had a find game and deserves his place. O'Connell has now put in two really good performances in row, which is heartening. We're motoring well enough. While it was good to see Lennon and Walsh involved, they'll be a lot better next time out.

Don't really understand all the furore about the red card. He kicked him on the ground, umpire rightly reported it - automatic red.

FermGael

For 60 minutes we lived with Monaghan.
The red card turned the match.  Clucker was playing superbly.
Always seemed to be in the right place.  At the time I felt the sending off was harsh.
After seeing the incident on the television it was no more than a yellow especially when you consider what Dick Clerkin did 5 minutes later with his shoulder.

In all likelihood Monaghan would have probably went on to win the match but we certainly had them rattled.
Our midfield and defence was superb.  Marty O'Brien had a great game on Conor McManus.
We just didn't have enough fire power up front.  We should have been leading at half time.  4 of the Monaghan scores came from poor fist passing from our players when they were in the Monaghan half. When Monaghan went in at half time 2 points up  and then extended it to 5 after half time it was always going to be a hard ask.  We never gave up, battled back well and were in with a chance until the sending off.

We have improved a lot this year under Pete.
The improvement from last year is immense.
Qualifier draw on Monday and if I am being honest we could do with a break from Ulster football.

Monaghan are a serious side with a very good panel of players. 
Your only weakness seems to be the middle but that half of football will have helped Lennon.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Olly

Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

macdanger2

BennyHarp

How did McCusker not get a black card for the trip leading to the penalty?
That was never a square ball!!