Quickest GAA Sendings off

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 23, 2015, 07:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: rrhf on March 24, 2015, 06:59:09 AM
Is this turning into an anti Armagh thread? Three examples of knavery on their part so far.

Hopefully I can add to your growing excitement.

I'm nearly sure Martin Toye was sent off within seconds of coming on as a sub for Armagh against Monaghan in the Ulster semi-final in Breffni Park 1985. I spent that summer in London so missed the match - anyone here recall if this was the first match or the replay?

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 24, 2015, 07:40:03 AM
Is this turning into an anti Armagh thread? Three examples of knavery on their part so far.

I'm nearly sure Martin Toye was sent off within seconds of coming on as a sub for Armagh against Monaghan in the Ulster semi-final in Breffni Park 1985. I spent that summer in London so missed the match - anyone here recall if this was the first match or the replay?

I was going to mention that one, but wouldn't have known the year or the opponents. Damien Campbell from Fermanagh may been the referee.

I think I remember Dessie McNamara being sent off very early in a championship match for Donegal against Down.

Teeling Gael

Clare side Kilmurry-Ibrickane upset the form book as they gave an outstanding display to see off Portlaoise at the Gaelic Grounds in the AIB Club SFC semi-final.

Michael McDermott's charges, qualifying for the club's first final, led from the off against an off-colour Portlaoise outfit that finished with 13 men.

The Laois and Leinster champions were left stunned after barely 20 seconds, when defender Brian Mulligan was given a straight red card for a dangerous challenge.
Kilmurry-Ilbrickane capitalised immediately to land three quick-fire points.

Referee Michael Duffy had no option but to dismiss Mulligan after a one-handed swing on his opposite number Shane Hickey.

five points

Dessie McNamara, Donegal v Down in 1996, clocked Micheal Magill while running towards breaking ball from throw-in. Dismissed after 9 seconds of play.

J70

95 or 96, Donegal v Down in first round in Ulster. Dessie McNamara lining out for Donegal for first time got the line for getting in a tangle with his opponent before the ball was thrown in!  ;D

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 24, 2015, 07:27:24 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 23, 2015, 11:03:38 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on March 23, 2015, 08:17:37 PM
Leitrim referee, Seamus Prior, disgracefully sent off Roscommon substitute, Jason Neary, in the 1998 Connacht Final against Galway in Tuam. He was only on a few minutes (if even that), when he hit Ja Fallon with a good shoulder and got his marching orders. Other decisions against us made it the worst performance of so called refereeing i've ever seen.
A day and a ref the wrongs of which will live long in infamy. Every time I'm reminded of it I long for the day they frack Laythrum off tthe planet >:(
Jays Rossfan that's Leitrim and ourselves ;). Who'll be next?
Be no fun if ye were fracked off the planet Farr  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Aristo 60

Longest sending off: Charlie Redmond?

Bless him.

BennyCake

Don't remember if replay or draw. But he lasted about 45 seconds after a high tackle on Declan Flannagan (I think).

BennyCake

McGuigan v Kerry in 2012. How quick was that?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: muppet on March 24, 2015, 12:36:14 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 23, 2015, 11:44:25 PM
Quoteit was McNally who started that by decking P.O when going to shake hands before the game

Did McNally not sledge Paudie by asking him did he come up by bus or train and call him a monkey man?

Paudie decked him and asked him, as he lay on the ground, if it was a bus or train that hit him.

I never heard of McNally drawing the fist.

Didn't Joe score two goals or was it the year after? Paudi couldn't have been marking him that day as he only ever conceded a point.

A complete myth. He was marking Podge Quinn when he got a goal for Tyrone in 86. He was also marking McNally for at least one of the 2 goals in 1985.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

5 Sams

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on March 23, 2015, 10:58:59 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 23, 2015, 07:57:52 PM
Having looked at the, ahem, other code, yesterday what is the quickest sending off you can recall?

Of course we will all have some mad schoolboy or Junior B yarns so let's restrict it to senior club or inter county.

Paudie should have been sent off in 1985 for clocking Joe McNally before the ball was thrown in (facts may be wrong here) but that's beside the point.
Tadgh Kennelly too and there are too many Ciaran Whelan storys to recount but they all escaped censure.

My own recall is a Longford sub in a league match in mid-90s against Kildare, giving a lad a wee thump on the way to his position and then getting sent off straight away. Lasted about 20 seconds.

So - remind me of the GAA Hall of Shame...................

Facts are indeed wrong in that case..it was McNally who started that by decking P.O when going to shake hands before the game. He got his ressponse during the anthem!

Did PO not give Joe a boot in the hole?
The Aristocrat Years

Harold Disgracey

Did something similar not happen with Vinny Loughran in Clones?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 24, 2015, 07:16:53 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on March 23, 2015, 10:58:59 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 23, 2015, 07:57:52 PM
Having looked at the, ahem, other code, yesterday what is the quickest sending off you can recall?

Of course we will all have some mad schoolboy or Junior B yarns so let's restrict it to senior club or inter county.

Paudie should have been sent off in 1985 for clocking Joe McNally before the ball was thrown in (facts may be wrong here) but that's beside the point.
Tadgh Kennelly too and there are too many Ciaran Whelan storys to recount but they all escaped censure.

My own recall is a Longford sub in a league match in mid-90s against Kildare, giving a lad a wee thump on the way to his position and then getting sent off straight away. Lasted about 20 seconds.

So - remind me of the GAA Hall of Shame...................

Facts are indeed wrong in that case..it was McNally who started that by decking P.O when going to shake hands before the game. He got his ressponse during the anthem!

Did PO not give Joe a boot in the hole?

Yes, during the anthem..AFTER Big Joe had poleaxed P.O when they were meant to shake hands!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Orior

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 23, 2015, 11:44:25 PM
Quoteit was McNally who started that by decking P.O when going to shake hands before the game

Did McNally not sledge Paudie by asking him did he come up by bus or train and call him a monkey man?

Paudie decked him and asked him, as he lay on the ground, if it was a bus or train that hit him.

I never heard of McNally drawing the fist.

That is one of my all-time favourite GAA stories. Is it on Youtube?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 24, 2015, 09:55:20 PM

Did something similar not happen with Vinny Loughran in Clones?
that was the ulster final of 87,  he wasn't on for very long that day