Tyrone v Cork Omagh - Beware the Ides of March

Started by Fuzzman, March 10, 2015, 09:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Back home to fortress Omagh NOT! ::) against a top top team. I fear the worst. We always struggle against the rebels.
Hopefully that dropped point on Saturday doesn't send us down but one more win should be enough in a very tight league

At this stage of Cork's league campaign last season, Colm O'Neill's contribution amounted to two substitute appearances and five points.

It was consistent with Brian Cuthbert's kid gloves approach towards the player on his return from a third cruciate operation. O'Neill's summer was as much a story of frustration as he only had his first start against Sligo in the qualifiers.

Cuthbert recently defended his decision. "He's a very special player and I wanted to make sure he was going to be playing many more years for Cork and if I was to forsake three or four months of last season for that to happen I was happy out."

Truth be told, though it seemed O'Neill cut a disgruntled figure at times, he realised he wasn't ready to attack the season whole hog.

This year couldn't be much more different. He's started all four Division 1 games and scored 3-21, 0-17 from frees, coming off just once when the deed was done against Kerry.

The patience and work of both player and manager seem to be paying off

"Last year I got a season under my belt," said O'Neill. "This time last year I probably still wasn't 100%. I trained hard and got a good winter's prep under my belt and I've confidence in it. I'm still doing rehab with the physio."

"Cuthbert couldn't hide his delight for O'Neill after his latest star showing in Páirc Uí Rinn. "After three ACLs and he is able to come back out here and perform the way he does? It's remarkable, it's the character of the man. "He's a very special player and a very affable guy that everyone is mad about and every time he puts on a Cork jersey he just takes off."

The four long trips north haven't been too kind on his knee but Cork's decision to base themselves in Enniskillen the night before games has helped. It meant only a short bus spin to Ballyshannon on March 1 and it will be the same again when they face Tyrone in Omagh on Sunday. "We go up there on Saturday evening and have plenty of time to rest and recuperate and get ready. We'll be getting out the maps again to see what route we're taking but we're looking forward to a different kind of game. We're taking residence up there at this stage! It's a great challenge to go up to every stronghold in Ulster. There's always a huge crowd and it's a great place to learn about your team and your panel."

Cork are just two points worse off than this time last year when they went the first four games unbeaten on the way to topping Division 1. For a side expected to struggle and still with an uncertain midfield, it's impressive.

"You probably could say we're safe," remarked O'Neill, "but we're not looking at safety, really. We want to make the latter stages of the league. We know the championship's a long way away and having some competitive games at that time prepares you well for championship."

That the latest batch of points were taken from Kerry was satisfying but bragging rights are on hold. "We need no reminding of how we did last year. Similar to what happened (on Sunday), we beat Kerry comprehensively in Tralee and probably got a bit carried away and started believing what people were saying. We're happy with the two points but there's a lot of work still to do."

twohands!!!

I really wouldnt be surprised to see Tyrone getting something from this at home.

I listened to the Cork game and watched it back and the Kerry defensive effort was a shambles - they allowed Cork a world of time and space on the ball and they compounded it by giving away 3 poor goals. The Cork forwards are quality and obviously have the ability to hurt teams if given time and space but I really don't think they will get anywhere near the same sort of space and time Kerry let them have, from the Tyrone defence.

The Kerry attack bar Keane had a very poor day but they still had an array of chances - O'Halloran in goals is a serious weakness - he gave up a shocker of a goal to Donaghy and his kickouts are a disaster.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Very interested in this game, the Mighty Red Hand of Sauron against the hairy hobbit langers ......................

Fuzzman

Who do you fancy squire and why?
Remember we also lift our game a lot in Croker but different team at home.

tiempo

Nice opening post. Can I just start by telling you all to f*ck off your opinions are worthless. Just want to put that out there as it is generally what follows any type of differing of opinion between Tyrone fans.

What I expect from Tyrone in Omagh is a poor performance, there is something in the air or something, they never seem to play well at home. Cork have bothered us for years so it'll be a very stern test.

Any injury updates from the Tyrone squad, Barry Tierney fit this weekend?

ONeill

Tyrone seem to be aiming for a 8-10 score concession. On 55 mins last week they had held Dublin to 9 scores and that should have been the end of it only for that crappy goal.

Can't recall exact tally but think Mayo and Derry also only had 8-9 scores v Tyrone since the Monaghan debacle.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

Cork will be heading to Omagh with a game plan to stop Kyle Coney after his one man show last year in Páirc Uí Rinn. Master stroke by Mickey.
That was never a square ball!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on March 10, 2015, 09:54:57 PM
Can't recall exact tally but think Mayo and Derry also only had 8-9 scores v Tyrone since the Monaghan debacle.

Yep, lulled into a false sense of swashbuckling flamboyance by a facile Mc Kenna Cup campaign, in that Monaghan horror; Cork won't know what has smacked them, bang on any ludicrous aspirations they might have of free and liberated scoring.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

illdecide

I think Cork are a great bet for Sunday...C'mon the Rebels.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

CD

Went to watch this fixture last time it was in Omagh and it was an atrocious game with both teams competing against a gale force wind. I don't anticipate this one being much better (but I'll still be there)!
I don't think league form so far is any kind of a barometer of what to expect. All teams in division one are extremely inconsistent as managers continue to t**ker with personnel and strategy at this point. I'd say the Tyrone camp will see it as a must win in the context of the league so I'd expect them to exhibit a bit more urgency and attacking intent in their play. Their performances so far have been largely very poor with periods of satisfactory. Any improvement in that would be nice!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Fuzzman

Morgan dropped.
2 more defenders added to FF line as we had to many attacks last day out.
I've never seen Mickey been this defensive before.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Id target Eoin Cadogan for some distractions if I was wearing tight red kacks ....................... Cork have the forwards to kick from distance, should be a tasty game

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 12, 2015, 06:35:37 PM
Morgan dropped.
2 more defenders added to FF line as we had to many attacks last day out.
I've never seen Mickey been this defensive before.

Is Cathal McCarron injured? Not listed in the subs. It will be interesting to see how Dwayne Quinn gets on. Good to see Conor Clarke back amongst the subs, will be a big asset when fit.
That was never a square ball!!

twohands!!!

1 – Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc
2 – Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin
3 – Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin
4 – Dwayne Quinn – Cluain Eo
5 – Ronan McNabb – An Droim Mór
6 – Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
7 – Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
8 – Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
9 – Padraig McNulty – Dún Geanainn
10 – Tiernan McCann – Coill an Chlochair
11 – Mattie Donnelly – Trí Leac
12 – Ryan McKenna – Eaglais
13 – Darren McCurry – Éadan na dTorc
14 – Sean Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
15 – Connor McAliskey – Cluain Eo

16 – Michael O'Neill – Cluain Eo
17 – Conor Clarke – An Omaigh
18 – Peter Hughes  – Eiscreach
19 – PJ Lavery – Cluain Eo
20 – Danny McBride – An Srath Bán
21 – Conall McCann – Coill an Chochair
22 – Shea McGuigan – Ard Bó
23 – Emmett McKenna – Eaglais
24 – Niall McKenna – An Domhnach Mór
25 – Patrick McNiece – Oileán a'Ghuail
26 – Ronan O Neill – An Omaigh

In
Dwayne Quinn
Ryan McKenna
Connor McAliskey

Out
Cathal McShane
Barry Tierney
Cathal McCarron

Fuzzman

Yes McCarron was subbed last week with a leg injury.
Pity as he has played really well since his return.
Remind me is Ryan McKenna the skinny lad who used to play corner back?
Is Emmett his bro or which one was meant to go to Aussie rules?
Am glad to see Skit get a start.
McCurry will be out to prove a point I'd say.