Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Maiden1 on December 20, 2009, 01:29:09 PM
The divisional teams regurally win the Kerry Senior championship so this proves that a group of players from different junior teams can join up and beat the senior teams.  I would say the senior teams in the Kerry championship on the whole would be better than in down as well.

Do you think they only start training regularly and properly when they reach the age of 19?

i usse an speelchekor

Highlander3

Radio no one would disagree with you that its to late to start training at 19, but thats not the point many small clubs train hard but at underage just dont have enough good players to be competitive, but that does not mean that some off the players from these weaker clubs could not play at a higher level. Some do still make it to county teams but its harder, and may lead to some of these players lossing interest which is a loss to Down. I think that this idear has some merit but agree that they would have to train regularly together.

I also think that the county has to do more to support the north down clubs, at underage they have some good players but rarely seem to be picked for Down under age teams, we have to try and encourage GAA in these areas.

Fender

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 20, 2009, 12:20:07 PM
Quote from: 13aside on December 17, 2009, 04:26:07 PM
I have supported this idea even from when it was suggested a few years ago and welcome the debate as long as it gives the fellas who may never play senior c'ship football the chance to so do.Also if it generates further interest for the clubs themselves-i.e many clubs lose players from the ages of 17-20 and never see them again then this could be a welcome development and as far as i know amongst the rest of the counties in Ulster could be a groundbreaking move.If then this has a knock-on effect of unearthing some players that could be devloped into county footballers then it can only do good--oh and one more thing look out Kilcoo and the rest- WE ARE COMING TO GET YOU!!

No harm to you mate, but Kilcoo's winning of the championship this year is the result of about 2 decades of work.

That is, 20 years of training, improving techniques, reading of the game, understanding your team-mates. The mentors learning more about tactics, coaching techniques, both physical and technical, and that is right from U-8 to senior. A learning process of about 20 years.

Championships are won in the period of February through to Sept... Not in the period starting 3 weeks before the opening round to the final.

You are only deluding yourself if you think a gather up of fellas at senior level that have never known what levels of committment it takes to win at any level, have never played alongside half their team-mates, and have only a few training sessions together with management that, no harm to them, are probably not at the races compared to most of the Div 1 coaches... are going to trouble the top clubs in the county.

Radio, no harm to ya, but you are talking a load of brown!!!!

Superstar

Might be of interest to some of yous:

Have you got the Star Factor?
Clann na Banna GFC are launching an exciting new event with you as the star!
We are searching for young people with the "Star Factor".
If you are aged between 12-16 years old, and you can either sing, dance or maybe even fancy yourself as a bit of a comedian; whatever your talent, you could be the 2010 "Star Factor" winner.
Entry is open to groups or individuals, so if you think you could be the next JLS or Diversity, get your space booked now!

With a top prize of £300 for the winner, and runner up prizes of £200 2ndplace, and £100 3rd place its time you made the call!
Entry is free, and the Semi finals will held in the Parish Centre, Scarva Rd, Banbridge, on Sunday 31st January, and Sunday 7th February with the Final on 14th February.
There will be judges on each night but the audience decides the winners!

Places are limited to 30 contestants, so book your free place early, this is sure to be a very popular event.
If you would like to book a place just ring Barney on 07900541002 or 02840623393 after 5pm.
See you there!
If it wasnt for this auld knee injury...........

supersub

Out in Front

Dr McKenna Cup 2010
Down squad from website

1. Declan Alder (Carryduff)
2. Liam Lennon (Castlewellan)
3. Declan Rooney (Burren)
4. Damien Rafferty (Newry Shamrocks)
5. Aidan Brannigan (Kilcoo)
6. Kevin McKernan (Burren)
7. Conor Garvey (Mayobridge)
8. Ambrose Rodgers (Longstone)
9. Peter Fitzpatrick (Ballymartin)
10. Martin Clarke (An Riocht)
11. Mark Poland (Longstone)
12. Brendan McArdle (Annaclone)
13. Paul McComiskey (Dundrum)
14. James McGovern (Burren)
15. Brendan Coulter (Mayobridge)
16. Brendan McVeigh (An Riocht)
17. Martin Cole (Rostrevor)
18. Paul Murphy (Ballyholland)
19. Sean Parr (Rostrevor)
20. Paul Greenan (Kilcoo)
21. Kevin Anderson (Aghaderg)
22. Conor Laverty (Kilcoo)
23. Daniel Hughes (Saval)
24. Aidan Carr (Clonduff)
25. James Colgan (An Riocht)
26. Darren Cunningham (Saval)
27. Stephen Toner (Bryansford)
28. Mark Doran (Longstone)
29. John Clarke (An Riocht)
30. Stephen Kearney (Saval)

Mourne Rover

If this squad is correct, we have to assume that big Dan is either injured or wants a break, and that Liam Doyle is depressingly still not fit. Hanna, McGinn and Murney must be in the Sigerson squads for their colleges. Dan McCartan does not seem to have made the cut, along with Ciaran McGovern and Michael Magee. The two Ronans may or may not be back for the league. It is hard to say if the squad numbers mean anything, but, if so, and in the absence of obviousl alternatives, it looks as though Declan Rooney willl get another run at full back. There is not much to get excited about, apart from the return of Marty Clarke, but the McKenna Cup is specifically designed for experimentation.

The Worker

no kevin duffin?? anyone know if he is injured.....

Mourne Rover

Duffin was in the extended McKenna squad of 44, but did not make the final 30. With the Sigerson players to return, together with some from the injured list as well, includng big Dan, Liam Doyle and Luke Howard, the likes of Duffin, Dan McCartan and Michael Magee will need to make a huge impact at club level if they are to play any county football this year. The two Ronans, Murtagh and Sexton, might be recalled at some stage, but James could also have concluded that their best days have gone.

Ambrose and Fitzpatrick look the likely midfield pair to start with, and the county website says that Dan will be back shortly. If so, it would be great to see him in a two-man full forward line with Benny for at least a couple of games.

Trevor Hill

That looks like a pretty strong panel. Like Mourne Rover, I would also like to see Dan in a two man full forward line with Benny Coulter.
Will many people make the journey to Celtic Park next Sunday to see Downs first game under Wee James?

washed_up

Weather permitting i hope the season gets under way on time and Down supporters will give the team and management their full backing- with a good turn-out from fans from day one-GOOD LUCK!!

The Worker

I heard that there was more county trials held this morning, anyone know this is correct, and if so who was in attendance??

idontbelieveit

Just read on the Down website that Down where to play Fermanagh today in an riocht at 2.30.
Is this a trial game?

extra time

full challenge game played on the lucious turf at an riocht to get used to new rules. both camps used most of their players. down won by a few points in a fairly competitive game. some players not in mckenna cup squad were involved. marty c and mark poland very impressive.

Mid Down Gael

Useful run out for Down today. Its diffficult to read much into the 0-14 to 0-11 victory as both teams interchanged regulary after the first 25 minutes. in the first half Clarke and Poland where impressive in the half forward line while Benny McArdle looked a useful addition to the defence lining out at full back. Mickey Magee impressed in the second half kicking 0-3 and linked up very well with Conor Laverty inside, whos movement and playmaking skills showed why he is well up for county football. I was very impressed with Kevin Duffin, James Colgan and Sean Parr also. Going to be some competition for places before the panel cut after McKenna cup.