Darragh Cross v Kilclief
Ballymartin v Ardglass

Junior Football
Teconnaught v Dromara
Glenn v St Pauls

Long Ball

Quote from: mournerambler on September 10, 2009, 04:41:16 PM
Quote from: Long Ball on September 10, 2009, 04:02:15 PM
Does anyone else think it's madness for the league to have a 3 week break at this stage of the season with the pitches and weather as bad as it has been?!!!

Could you tell us what league you're talking about Long Ball ???
Mourne Rambler I've heard several Div 1 teams have no game this weekend due to the Championship or next weekend due to the All-Ireland and Kilmacud 7s which means a 3 week break between league games. This Saturday afternoon/ early evening should have been used in my opinion for non- championship fixtures.
Drive yer boot in her!!

mournerambler

Quote from: Long Ball on September 10, 2009, 07:47:35 PM
Does anyone else think it's madness for the league to have a 3 week break at this stage of the season with the pitches and weather as bad as it has been?!!!

Mourne Rambler I've heard several Div 1 teams have no game this weekend due to the Championship or next weekend due to the All-Ireland and Kilmacud 7s which means a 3 week break between league games. This Saturday afternoon/ early evening should have been used in my opinion for non- championship fixtures.

I don't get the point you're trying to make, with Clonduff,Loughinisland,Burren & Kilcoo all in Championship action this weekend I think it's perfectly reasonable not to expect them to play a league game as well, this then means that as many as 4 other clubs will not be playing league games but what do you expect when Championship games are being played?

eyeswideopen

Clonduff v Loughinisland
Burren v Kilcoo

Intermediate Football
Darragh Cross v Kilclief
Ballymartin v Ardglass

Junior Football
Teconnaught v Dromara
Glenn v St Pauls

Long Ball

Quote from: mournerambler on September 10, 2009, 10:25:46 PM

I don't get the point you're trying to make, with Clonduff,Loughinisland,Burren & Kilcoo all in Championship action this weekend I think it's perfectly reasonable not to expect them to play a league game as well, this then means that as many as 4 other clubs will not be playing league games but what do you expect when Championship games are being played?
What I ment was fixtures such as Saval v Mayobridge, Castlewellan v Liatroim,  Bryansford v Warrenpoint and Longstone v Rostrevor could be played this Saturday meaning no team has a break of 3 weeks between competitive games. Playing them on Saturday at say 6pm wouldn't clash with either of the senior championship semi-finals. Plus it lessens the chances of the season over-running due to unplayable pitches.
Now can you see what my point is?
Drive yer boot in her!!

Maiden1

From Hoganstand

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=117639

Wee James to be ratified tonight?
11 September 2009

Word on the grapevine has it that James McCartan will be named as Down senior football manager later on today (Friday).

A County Board meeting has been scheduled for tonight and the All-Ireland winner is expected to be ratified as new Mourne County boss, with Brian McIver and Paddy Talty as selectors.

Legendary former manager Pete McGrath - who managed Wee James and co. to Sam Maguire glory in 1991 and '94 - is also believed to be in the running.

However, McCartan is now being touted in the media as the man who'll be handed the reins.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

6th sam

Quote from: Long Ball on September 11, 2009, 08:39:36 AM

What I ment was fixtures such as Saval v Mayobridge, Castlewellan v Liatroim,  Bryansford v Warrenpoint and Longstone v Rostrevor could be played this Saturday meaning no team has a break of 3 weeks between competitive games. Playing them on Saturday at say 6pm wouldn't clash with either of the senior championship semi-finals. Plus it lessens the chances of the season over-running due to unplayable pitches.

The unpredictably of fixtures at this time of year is annoying for all clubs.The fixtures secretary,sensibly,looks on league fixtures being played in rounds,for ease of organisation and fairness to all teams.If the league matches involving non championship teams were played this weekend,the rest of the that round of fixtures(involving championship teams)would have to be played anyway,so your proposal doesn't actually speed up the fixture list,it merely rewards teams knocked out of the championship.That is why,quite rightly, there are no league fixtures on championship weekends.
I do think that losing a whole round of fixtures due AI weekend/kilmacud is a waste of a weekend for most clubs.This would take some foresight,but those clubs going to Kilmacud should make the CB aware prior to fixture list being drawn up,and be matched up for eg a thursday floodlit match,or a 6:30 start on THursday /Friday with near neighbours.If a club is going to Kilmacud-and fair play to them,the onus should be on the club to make sure that their scheduled league fixture for that weekend goes ahead-floodlit,early start or pre-arranged for eg.a Monday night in the summer.NB.Previously there was no football fixtures on AI hurling weekend either,but thankfully this tradition has now been stopped,with no problems.

Fixture organisation at this time of year requires some creative thinking,and goodwill from all clubs.

mournerambler

Saturday games don't work either & while I have no great love for soccer I think it is stupid to play gaelic games on a Saturday which is a day when soccer games are played, if soccer changed their games to Friday nights I think a lot of us would be up in arms over it, so why do CCC & people like yourself insist on going toe to toe with soccer?

D4S

Tonight

11/8 Darragh Cross 6/1 Kilclief 4/6

4/7 Clonduff 6/1 Loughinisland 6/4
4/5 -1.5 points and +1.5 points 1/1

Sunday
2/7 Ballymartin 8/1 Ardglass 5/2
5/6 -4.5points and +4.5 points 5/6

4/5 Burren 6/1 Kilcoo 11/10

Senior
Burren 6/4
Kilcoo 7/4
Clonduff 9/4
L'island 8/1

Intermediate
Ballymartin 1/1
Kilclief 6/4
Darragh Cross 3/1
Ardglass 14/1
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Long Ball

Quote from: mournerambler on September 11, 2009, 12:55:55 PM

Saturday games don't work either & while I have no great love for soccer I think it is stupid to play gaelic games on a Saturday which is a day when soccer games are played, if soccer changed their games to Friday nights I think a lot of us would be up in arms over it, so why do CCC & people like yourself insist on going toe to toe with soccer?
It's not about going toe-to-toe with soccer, that would be a non-contest as the players in every club in my area always put Gaelic Football first.
Sunday afternoon for those league games then would still suit most.
By the way 6th sam playing the fixtures I suggested could well speed the league up as pitches such as longstones and Castlewellan's can get very wet so playing games when the weather allows stops any threat of postponement later on in the Autumn.
Drive yer boot in her!!

No1

QuoteTonight

11/8 Darragh Cross 6/4 Kilclief 4/6

:o

Where did ya get those odds?

Downboy

Id say there are a few Darragh Cross boys having a few bob on at those prices.

Kilcoo odds a little strange too. Burren were shocking in last round

D4S

Quote from: No1 on September 11, 2009, 01:29:03 PM
QuoteTonight

Hughes Bookies Newry
Sure didnt kilcief beat attical the last round?

They are few places above darragh cross in league too.

Think Kilcoo are great bet at 11/10 but i suppose tradition dictates the odds slightly too, will be a good tight match I think Kilcoo will win with 3 to spare.
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

guevara

Saturday Fixtures are unfair on the teams involved. Its ok if your a Country Club by any Club from a Town is going to have serious conflict with the Soccer.
Asking boys to choose is rediculous & shows the pig headedness of our association & County Board.
Saturday is a day Soccer is traditionally played lets leave it at that. Boys that have trained hard all year are put in a no win situation & teams who might be in need of points for either Promotion or Relegation games are weakened unfairly.
My own club would have a right few who would play both codes & fair play to them.
The organisation of League fixtures in this County is shambolic & needs seriously reviewed. Nobody knows when fixtures are coming or going & too often you hear about them being changed to Saturdays etc with not enough time to sort a team.
An idea could be to allow teams out of the championship to arrange outstanding fixtures for midweek, Friday night or Sunday afternoon etc if both teams agree.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Maiden1

Quote from: D4S on September 11, 2009, 02:01:33 PM
Quote from: No1 on September 11, 2009, 01:29:03 PM
QuoteTonight

Hughes Bookies Newry
Sure didnt kilcief beat attical the last round?

They are few places above darragh cross in league too.

Think Kilcoo are great bet at 11/10 but i suppose tradition dictates the odds slightly too, will be a good tight match I think Kilcoo will win with 3 to spare.

All 4 games could go either way.  Even Ardglass at 5/2 is not that bad a bet.
There are no proofs, only opinions.