Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Some game last night in Hilltown, Burren starting off well with Danny Magill looking promising but credit to Clonduff they kept battling and kept the pressure on when Burren seemed to back into a hole and was very ultra-defensive in last quarter but Clonduff finished the strongest. I actually thought Burren would be better but they seem to be trying younger players and I am sure it will take them time to fit into division one football. Clonduff is a team that will fancy themselves after their great start and they must have a great squad as they beat a fancied Kilcoo seconds in Premier reserves.

SuperRed

I might be wrong here, but is that Clonduff's first senior title since a league/championship double in 2000? Fair play to them, as they've been a very competitive Division One side fot a very long time... Despite being in a few championship finals / semi finals in the past decade, it seems that they play their best football earlier in the season and then it all goes a little flat. Their championship record is fairly good though, and they certainly have the forward players to compete. Burren will be disappointed in the end, but as always they'll be there or thereabouts. It'll take a few years to get the younger players up to senior level - it can be a different game altogether. Disappointing to see some clubs struggling, as you say. Covid playing its part of course, but never nice to see clubs not fielding

Truth hurts

I think you are right, they have a huge pick and should be winning more silverware but I fancy them to break into the Burren, point /Kilcoo bracket this year and McBride seems to have brought a freshness to them. This is the time of year you need to be coming into some sort of form and I am going to watch Kilcoo on Friday and I think they will start to turn up the gears. Big talk that Moran/Gilligan are being approached for Down job. I would be happy with that.

befair

Good game; Hilltown looked up against it early on, but gradually dominated an ultra-defensive Burren set-up, and fully deserved to win. With Darren O'Hagan to come back in, they could be Kilcoo's biggest challengers this year.

Mourne Red

That unbeaten run of Burren going well...

Lecale Gael

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 11, 2021, 09:29:41 AM
What's the deal with Teconnaught nor fielding for their last two fixtures?

Can only assume Covid related though haven't seen anything to confirm this. They played the other games ok

No games can be postponed now so it's field or forfeit
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Truth hurts

Quote from: befair on August 12, 2021, 04:56:32 PM
Good game; Hilltown looked up against it early on, but gradually dominated an ultra-defensive Burren set-up, and fully deserved to win. With Darren O'Hagan to come back in, they could be Kilcoo's biggest challengers this year.

Was McCorry as defensive with Kilcoo?

SuperRed

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 13, 2021, 08:30:36 AM
Quote from: befair on August 12, 2021, 04:56:32 PM

I don't recall McCorry's Kilcoo sides being overtly defensive... I think they tailored their cloth to suit most of the time

SuperRed

Some interesting results tonight...
Kilcoo edge out Ballyholland by 4... 0-11 to 0-07 at Pairc Eoghain Rua.
Donagh McAleenan and Ross McGarry scored late points, as Cumann Pheadair Naofa battled back to draw in Mayobridge, 1-11 apiece. Two sides that are looking very slick so far.
Late show from Carryduff with a penalty in the final minute of normal time seeing them past Loughinisland at St. MacCartan Park... 1-11 to 0-9 after a bit of gloss was put on the result
... and Rostrevor held off a late Bryansford rally to pick up two deserved points in Newcastle... 1-10 to 2-6. Ford rooted to the bottom and Reds looking up.

Elsewhere, RGU looking very impressive in Division 2 at the moment. Themselves and Longstone my pick for promotion. Liatroim and Saval maybe in Division 3... It's looking like Covid 19 is putting paid to a lot of games, the further you venture down the leagues.

Elsewhere

Johnnysboys

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't think he was no - but think the defensive element is coming from Adams as the coach tbh.. his favourite phrase is plus one,  plus one - even when they were on the attack he was shouting this.. he was defensive with Clonduff in the past and then Down.. McCorry has it all to do in Burren - 2 defeats from the first 4 games against so called big hitters won't impress him and think they stole the win v Mayobridge- with ourselves to face them down Monday night - it could be a long August for him!!!

Smurfy123

McCorry will ok with Burren
This is Mickey Mouse stuff for the big hitters
It's challenge matches
The big concern has to be Bryansford? What has happened to this once great club?
I genuinely want to know what has happened them?

Six Miles From Bangor

Double All Ireland winner James McCartan Snr has passed away.

Targetman

A massive figure in Down GAA, R.I.P.

upandwin

Cracking game in Warrenpoint tonight, CPN v Burren. Things starting to heat up in the league over the last week or so. I'm sure Clonduff will be hoping for a Burren win tonight, they'll fancy themselves for the league title again this year after winning last year's final.

Match Ups will be interesting...both teams have been very hot and cold in the league. CPN normally struggle against the defensive systems and Burren are going as defensive as I've ever seen them in my time watching them. The U20s could be the difference tonight for Burren, if Danny Magill and young Murdock step up tonight they will be hard to beat.

Can't wait for this one...

Clonduff will surely be too strong for a Carryduff side that have a lengthy trip down to Hilltown?