BBC and RTE Sports Personalities of the Year 2014

Started by Sidney, August 11, 2014, 11:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

We're well into August and it's time to start thinking about who'll win these prestigious awards.

As far as the BBC award is concerned, I think Rory McIlpube is a certainty.

Henry Shefflin will probably win the RTE Sports Personality despite doing nothing of note all year.

Who would be your picks?

J OGorman

Sidney

Denn Forever

I reckon O'Driscoll will be a shoe in for the Irish awards.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

thewobbler

For the life of me, I've never worked out why anyone would give a fiddler's about these awards.

I doubt there's a sportsperson of any distinction, who would consider it an important achievement in their life. So why should we care?

Sidney

Quote from: thewobbler on August 11, 2014, 12:27:24 PM
For the life of me, I've never worked out why anyone would give a fiddler's about these awards.

I doubt there's a sportsperson of any distinction, who would consider it an important achievement in their life. So why should we care?
Pomp, ceremony, and an exclusive live performance by Mumford and Sons.

Saffrongael

Quote from: thewobbler on August 11, 2014, 12:27:24 PM

Some journalist for here tweeted immediately after McIlroy sank the winning putt that he must be favourite for SPOTY  :( Who gives a fck
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

thewobbler

This is the bit I never get Saffrongael. Twitter and Facebook are also full to the ramparts with the general public recycling this sort of prediction anytime somebody wins a major sporting event.  All I ask from these people is that they take a few seconds before they post this sort of nonsense, and ask themselves why it's relevant or interesting.

It's like saying "I've just had the best of steak dinners, but I hope there's room for a slice of toast - no butter - before bed".

seafoid

nrico2006

McIlroys achievements this year are far greater than anything any other Irish sportsperson has achieved.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Denn Forever

Quote from: seafoid on August 25, 2014, 10:25:46 AM
Fiona Coghlan, who captained the ladies to that win over the All Blacks.
The lads never managed that.

http://c2.thejournal.ie/media/2013/02/fiona-coghlan-and-jamie-heaslip-2312013-390x285.jpg

I'd imagine some Munster lads might beg to differ.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Orior

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 25, 2014, 11:02:59 AM

http://c2.thejournal.ie/media/2013/02/fiona-coghlan-and-jamie-heaslip-2312013-390x285.jpg

Plus the women didn't actually win the tournament. So don't give it to the gallant loser. McIlroy should get it a) for his performance this year b) for getting out of jail before the door was locked and c) for declaring for Ireland.

But I also agree with Wobbler. I won't watch the show
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Zip Code

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 25, 2014, 10:57:36 AM
McIlroys achievements this year are far greater than anything any other Irish sportsperson has achieved.

Really - I think you are talking complete bollocks there son.

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on August 25, 2014, 11:54:29 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on August 25, 2014, 11:02:59 AM

Plus the women didn't actually win the tournament. So don't give it to the gallant loser. McIlroy should get it a) for his performance this year b) for getting out of jail before the door was locked and c) for declaring for Ireland.

But I also agree with Wobbler. I won't watch the show
But the mens team never even made it to the semifinal.
Also holding out against NZ for the last 20 seconds. Some achievement.
She should definitely be recognised. 

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zip Code on August 25, 2014, 11:57:40 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 25, 2014, 10:57:36 AM

Really - I think you are talking complete bollocks there son.

Who has achieved more? Whatever about whether you like him or not, he's won 2 majors and a WGC event, and is ranked #1 in the world. I'm struggling to think of an Irish sports person with a better roll of honour than that in  2014.