Surely to god It's time to stop the nonsense and introduce a clock

Started by sligoman2, August 03, 2014, 05:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

When Camogie and Ladies Football get merged into the GAA it'll be a whole lot easier to introduce common sense ideas like this.

Syferus

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 03, 2014, 10:07:20 PM
When Camogie and Ladies Football get merged into the GAA it'll be a whole lot easier to introduce common sense ideas like this.

Sexist bollix >:(

Hound

none of yis have the first clue what you're talking about and have clearly never watched women's football!

The clock does not stop for bookings, for frees, or for goalkicks.

The ref blew the whistle at the right time. The clock was on the screen for all the players to see. If the hooter had been in operation it would have went at exactly the same time the ref blew the whistle. So having the clock would change nothing.

The freetaker may have misunderstood the ref's call, but that'll teach him for not watching the All Ireland final last year and seeing Cillian O'Connor making the same mistake. The Cork lad deserves a good kick up the hole for kicking the ball over the bar. No excuse for such stupidity.

sligoman2

I get you point heffo but two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't see why the players should not know EXACTLY how much time is left, the game is supposed to be 70 minutes and no season should end on the basis of bad info from the ref.

Stop the clock for the last two minutes when the ball is not in play and then there won't be any controversy.  It's time to treat the players with respect, they train hard and they should know how much time they have left without having to guess or dealing with refs that give bad info
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

manfromdelmonte

The quicker someone boots an opposing player up the hole for blocking a quick free or other time wasting effort the better.

sligoman2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 04, 2014, 02:20:41 AM
The quicker someone boots an opposing player up the hole for blocking a quick free or other time wasting effort the better.

Agree totally mfd.  there would be less time wasting if the clock wasn't ticking.  Time wasting in my opinion is an ugly part of the game that needs to be eliminated and the stopped clock will do that.  It's not difficult to press a button and stop the clock when the ball is not in play for the last few minutes.  Wasting time is a deplorable tactic just like diving in soccer ( or football👀)

anfheardubh

The Ref  was a joke gave all the 50-50 calls to Mayo,

but the rest of ireland dont need to worry , Mayo going nowhere, lack inside forwards and the full back line very dodgy

No sam in this team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For many are called, but few are chosen.

sligoman2

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=221723

Reaction from Colm O'Neill.

The clock is a very simple solution to a very major flaw in our games

Itchy

Quote from: Hound on August 03, 2014, 11:02:35 PM
none of yis have the first clue what you're talking about and have clearly never watched women's football!

The ref blew the whistle at the right time. The clock was on the screen for all the players to see. If the hooter had been in operation it would have went at exactly the same time the ref blew the whistle. So having the clock would change nothing.

The freetaker may have misunderstood the ref's call, but that'll teach him for not watching the All Ireland final last year and seeing Cillian O'Connor making the same mistake. The Cork lad deserves a good kick up the hole for kicking the ball over the bar. No excuse for such stupidity.

I think you are wrong about one thing hound, if the clock had been there it would've changed the fact that the Cork lads would have tried for a goal with the last free. The ref told them there was time left hence they tapped it over. Not that hard to understand is it?

Dont Matter

Let the ref say time off into his microphone whenever there's an injury, or having to talk to his linesman about giving cards, or a dust up or whatever, then the clock stops and it restarts when the ref says so. Easy stuff. It'll end the nonsense of one minute injury time we've seen at end of matches. How can a whole half only have one minute injury time? It happened in 2012 when Laois had Dubl$n on the ropes, the ref blew it up early. It happened this year aswell for Wexford against Laois, only one minute added on. Crazy stuff when a teams whole season is on the line. Some matches might last a good bit more than 70 but at least it'll be fair.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Hound

Quote from: Itchy on August 05, 2014, 07:51:38 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 03, 2014, 11:02:35 PM

I think you are wrong about one thing hound, if the clock had been there it would've changed the fact that the Cork lads would have tried for a goal with the last free. The ref told them there was time left hence they tapped it over. Not that hard to understand is it?

The ref told him there was "about a minute left".

O'Neill put the ball down, sized it up, put it over the bar.
Keeper got a ball and a tee, walked out and placed it down, looked up to see his options, fired it out to the middle of the field.
As the ball was just coming down in the middle of the field, the ref blew for full time.

The final whistle blew approximately 55 seconds after the ref told O'Neill there was "about a minute" left. Having a clock on the sideline would have made absolutely no difference to this.

This exact same thing happened to Cillian O'Connor in the All Ireland final last year. O'Connor had no reason whatsover to think the clock was stopped when the ref told him what time was left, but nonetheless that's what he thought, and its fair to say a few others would have had the same misconception. But after the publicity that received, there's absolutely no excuse for O'Neill or anyone else to make the very same mistake this year.

Dont Matter

The actual foul happened at 71'52", O'Neill rushed to get the ball, place it and ask the ref how much time is left, he was told about a minute left at 72'10", he taped over the free at 72'21". The kick out and final whistle came at 72'50".
Peter Quinn

heffo

Dont Matter

The ref got word in his mic from the powers above. "The Dubs are in trouble, blow it up quick, we need another round out of them", the whistle was blown and Dubl$n were saved.
Peter Quinn