Sligo V Cork July 26th Qualifiers

Started by sligoman2, July 15, 2014, 04:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Well we are still alive and obviously have a very tough assignment against a wounded Cork team.  I would imagine we are huge underdogs and deservedly so, but you never know - we tend to produce our best results when no one expects us to perform.

We certainly can't afford 14 wides like we had against Limerick that's for sure. 

If we get destroyed at midfield like we did against Galway, it will be a very long day - we need to be more competitive in this area and McDonnell and McIntyre have done well against Wicklow and Limerick.

It's great to get to the last 12....
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

SLIGONIAN

Fair play to ya sligoman2 starting the thread, won't be saying much myself but Sligo are 7-1 outsiders while cork are 1-12 on, we are growing in confidence and showing bite so hopefully we can give a good account of ourselves, there are a lot of variables although it does have the same feel as 02 against Tyrone in terms of underdogs, i will say this people talking about a cork backlash for me is not accurate, they didn't perform against tipp and the backlash should of happened against Kerry, something not right in this cork set up and I'd be surprised if it is fixed for the next day, we have a chance but we need to improve a lot.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Denn Forever

As long as you don't do a Cavan on it.  A sad day for Cavan
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

magpie seanie

Tullamore. Galway v. Tipp in the hurling on afterwards.

I would love to share the mild optimism of my countymen but I'd rank Tipperary as considerably better than us and they couldn't beat Cork. I agree to a point with Sligonian that Cork probably aren't as good as recent years but we're only scraping by Division 4 teams and carrying players who are living off their reputations.

Syferus

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 15, 2014, 10:49:21 AM
As long as you don't do a Cavan on it.  A sad day for Cavan

They should do a Ros on it.

Mano

There is nothing like 2 championship wins to build the confidence and get a bit of momentum going regardless of the opposition. Fair play to Flanagan he made the necessary changes after the Galway game and got McDonnell and McIntyre in midfield. Cork will be a different proposition though and the new midfield will have different class of player in opposition.

On the negative side Marren seems to be struggling for a bit of form (his miss at the end against Limerick was unbelievable), its a shame Murphy is in the States.
I don't expect us to progress to the August Bank Holiday weekend but if we put up a good showing and are not humiliated it will be something to build on for 2015.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on July 15, 2014, 11:30:21 AM
There is nothing like 2 championship wins to build the confidence and get a bit of momentum going regardless of the opposition. Fair play to Flanagan he made the necessary changes after the Galway game and got McDonnell and McIntyre in midfield. Cork will be a different proposition though and the new midfield will have different class of player in opposition.

On the negative side Marren seems to be struggling for a bit of form (his miss at the end against Limerick was unbelievable), its a shame Murphy is in the States.
I don't expect us to progress to the August Bank Holiday weekend but if we put up a good showing and are not humiliated it will be something to build on for 2015.

No-one could blame him the way he was treated.

Zulu

QuoteTullamore. Galway v. Tipp in the hurling on afterwards.

That's in football too Seanie.

Based on the comments from Sligo posters here it appears all is not well in Sligo either and on that basis you'd have to fancy Cork. As mentioned Sligo haven't really impressed when playing teams much less capable than Cork who are a genuinely good side. There is a bit of bother in the Cork camp as far as I know so they are probably not going much further than this game but it's hard to see Sligo having enough to take advantage of this.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: Zulu on July 15, 2014, 04:10:03 PM
QuoteTullamore. Galway v. Tipp in the hurling on afterwards.

That's in football too Seanie.

Based on the comments from Sligo posters here it appears all is not well in Sligo either and on that basis you'd have to fancy Cork. As mentioned Sligo haven't really impressed when playing teams much less capable than Cork who are a genuinely good side. There is a bit of bother in the Cork camp as far as I know so they are probably not going much further than this game but it's hard to see Sligo having enough to take advantage of this.

D'oh!

Fancy Tipp there anyway.

sligoman2

1 to 12 seems a bit steep for a team that got beaten by 12 points from a new look yet admittedly talented Kerry team.
Best we can hope for is for a determined performance from all sectors, Marren needs to work harder, Kelly should be in the half forward line IMO and we need to get a decent amount of breaking ball and not give away soft frees.

Hopefully we put up a respectable performance - hard to know how cork will rebound from the Munster final demolition.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Rossfan

Best wishes to our nicest Connacht neighbours.
Be great if we could get 4 Connacht teams into the Quarters.
Are Cork in bad shape and beatable or will they simply get their act together like Kildare and press on?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 17, 2014, 03:26:41 PM
Best wishes to our nicest Connacht neighbours.
Be great if we could get 4 Connacht teams into the Quarters.
Are Cork in bad shape and beatable or will they simply get their act together like Kildare and press on?

Cork never have their act together. Dunno if they need to to beat Sligo but if some of the older (and not particularly ancient) lads still have a hunger and fight left in them they can certainly complete with a Cork team that can be all over the shop at any given moment. It'll take Sligo's best performance since 2010 to get it done though.

ross4life

Looking at the odds our neighbours aren't given much of a chance. Sligo have a habit over the years of beating sides against the odds. Cork looked a shambles v Kerry and should have been beaten by Tipp.

All the best Sligo give it your best shot.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open