Garda Commissioner resigns

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 25, 2014, 09:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger95

Guards knew about this (or knew they were rumbled) from last November. They spoke to the Data Protection Minister 4 days ago about the possible implications and Callinan STILL hung on for as long as he could. And Shatter still not gone. Reminds of Dev weeping in his office when he finished up as Taoiseach. There is a certain class of people in this country who are physically addicted to power. Unfortunately they all end up in Leinster House. I'll say one thing for the Brits - when it is time to fall on the sword, they do it and do it quick. What are the odds on a mea culpa to Dobbo on 6.01 - a tearful, bygones, I'll do better honest, interview? Cannot wait. 

bennydorano

Quote from: rosnarun on March 25, 2014, 04:10:40 PM
does nor every 2 bit company record or at least warn of the possiblity of recording calls. i would always assume my calls are being recorded, esp by the cops,and work on that basis
That's what i was thinking too (though I'm in the black north), would it be an issue at all down South?

trileacman

Yeah sure aren't 999 calls recorded and played at trial all the time in most countries? Why is this an issue?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: Hardy on March 25, 2014, 10:09:47 AM
Whew! The relief. That man always frightened me. Reminded me of someone ... can't quite place it ...
. http://www.smh.com.au/world/a-dictators-digs-fit-for-the-people-he-ruled-20101206-18myd.html. Uncanny resemblance

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on March 25, 2014, 07:52:00 PM
Yeah sure aren't 999 calls recorded and played at trial all the time in most countries? Why is this an issue?

I am guessing because it cannot be done without permission.

Most companies avoid this by clearly warning you before you talk to someone - e.g. "All calls are recorded for training/monitoring/bullshit purposes". I would have expected the calls to be monitored as well, but only with the proper advisory info.
MWWSI 2017

Ball Hopper

Of course, telephone answering training might not be high on the list of things these boys would receive. 

A simple practice of..."Garda station, this is Jack on a recorded line, how may I help you".

Just noticed the words "simple", "Garda", and "help" in the one sentence...what was I thinking. 

Pangurban

Garda,Banks,Church, Government have all become synonymous with scandal. The Irish state is either incredibly incompetent or seriously corrupt. You should not have to think long to figure out which

armaghniac

Quote from: trileacman on March 25, 2014, 07:52:00 PM

This is what I thought too. But it is unclear whether things like the calls from detained to solicitors were also recorded.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

babarino

Had a laugh at a Garda spokesman on Sean O'Rourke today, saying that the Garda were non-political and that people have short memories, forgetting the slaying of the garda in North Louth last year. This is the kind of piffle, that has led to an 'untouchable' police force.

Fadó fadó I was heading for a bus back to Monaghan, when I bumped into Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin in Parnell Square and he offered me a lift. Thinking I'd get back a lot sooner I gladly accepted. Little did I know we'd be stopped and delayed regularly en route by Gardaí. There was little by way of searching of the car, the only reason was to frustrate him in going about his business. Lessons learnt - take the bus and no way were they non-political.

Bringing up Adrian Donohue's killing has absolutely nothing to do with the current push for an accountable police force.

Syferus

Quote from: babarino on March 25, 2014, 11:03:22 PM
Had a laugh at a Garda spokesman on Sean O'Rourke today, saying that the Garda were non-political and that people have short memories, forgetting the slaying of the garda in North Louth last year. This is the kind of piffle, that has led to an 'untouchable' police force.

Fadó fadó I was heading for a bus back to Monaghan, when I bumped into Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin in Parnell Square and he offered me a lift. Thinking I'd get back a lot sooner I gladly accepted. Little did I know we'd be stopped and delayed regularly en route by Gardaí. There was little by way of searching of the car, the only reason was to frustrate him in going about his business. Lessons learnt - take the bus and no way were they non-political.

Bringing up Adrian Donohue's killing has absolutely nothing to do with the current push for an accountable police force.

I just knew he had to be a Rah man with that many fadas.

weareros

Quote from: Hardy on March 25, 2014, 10:09:47 AM
Whew! The relief. That man always frightened me. Reminded me of someone ... can't quite place it ...

Think he was Richard in Keeping Up Appearances

orangeman

This is a real windfall for the solicitors and barristers who will be reviewing all convictions to see if they stand up now in light of this new revelation about tapes.

Manna from heaven Garda HQ

Hardy

Meet the new boss

More frightening than the old boss

AZOffaly

muppet

MWWSI 2017