Dreambox

Started by Father Jack, January 09, 2014, 12:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: Boycey on December 10, 2014, 01:30:03 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on December 10, 2014, 12:55:03 PM
Do you often have to reconfigure these boxes? I had a friend who got one but he had to update it every week!

I've not had to update mine in an age.. The updates only usually tend to be for ease of finding channels rather than anything important. I set one up for a friend 12 months ago and he's never updated as he wouldn't know how :-)

Clarshack, my subscription was less than half that and seldom if ever freezes. I'll dig out who I got it from if you like

looks like my provider has done a runner.  :( if anyone can point me in the direction of a good reliable provider it would be much appreciated.

WeeDonns

Muzz

Any of you lads got a contact that has the irish subsciption of Setanta i.e. 3pm EPL games?

gerry

i take it you have a box
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Muzz

Yeah have any number of boxes - I use to CS and run my own server but recently moved house and did away with it. 

Just looking setanta dont want full sly package or anything.  Its mainly for the GAA as I have NBC Sports for the 3pm games

gerry

i got my C line on ebay 6 mths for £25, perfect picture with all the channels.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221664793446

Shortso79

Gerry - did you already have a box

gerry

I bought my own box on eBay and done it myself

clarshack

i have an openbox and wish to upgrade to a box that can series link and record onto an internal hdd etc.

should i be looking at something like the VU+ Solo2 or the VU+ Duo 2?  what are the differences between them?

Karl Kennedy

I have heard about the Dream Box recently but I wouldn't be sure what it does etc
I currently have a Sky HD box & I am using the magic eye to have it in three rooms around the house.
Sky is a complete rip off and I am not paying ridiculous amounts of money anymore.

In relation to the DreamBox

1. How much does it cost?
2. Do you need a Satellite dish? ( I have one currently with Sky)
3. Will the Magic Eyes work with it so it can be viewed in other rooms in the house?
4. Can you record and series link using the DreamBox?
5. Does the DreamBox need broadband?
6. Can I buy the DreamBox and equipment myself and install it myself without getting an engineer?

God14

1. How much does it cost? - there are various models from £125 to £350
2. Do you need a Satellite dish? ( I have one currently with Sky) - YES
3. Will the Magic Eyes work with it so it can be viewed in other rooms in the house? NO. You will need a separate dreambox for each TV AFAIK
4. Can you record and series link using the DreamBox? YES - it depends on what model you go for. See point 1
5. Does the DreamBox need broadband? YES
6. Can I buy the DreamBox and equipment myself and install it myself without getting an engineer? YES
[/quote]

Karl Kennedy

Quote from: God14 on April 08, 2015, 11:22:55 AM

1. How much does it cost? - there are various models from £125 to £350
3. Will the Magic Eyes work with it so it can be viewed in other rooms in the house? NO. You will need a separate dreambox for each TV AFAIK
4. Can you record and series link using the DreamBox? YES - it depends on what model you go for. See point 1
5. Does the DreamBox need broadband? YES
6. Can I buy the DreamBox and equipment myself and install it myself without getting an engineer? YES
[/quote]
Thanks for the info Gerry. Bit of a pain with magic eye not working. Don't fancy paying for two dreamboxes.
Do they provide HD? Defo need it for the sports & the other question would be is there RTE1, RTE2 & TG4?

God14

The only HD channels are the freeview ones
There is a different encryption method apparently for the HD channels, so you cant get the sports etc in HD

You could have the basic non recording dreambox in a bedroom or whatever (£125) and have the full equivalent Sky plus box in the living room (approx. £350) although its only a matter of time until Sky get their act together and close the loop.

macdanger2

Quote from: God14 on April 08, 2015, 11:22:55 AM

Does it need to be a dish or will UPC / Eircom cable do the same job?

Captain Black

could anyone kindly PM me somewhere that can do repairs on dream boxes please ?

Basically box won't turn on.  Light at the front of the box stays red (should go blue when turned on).  Apparently I need to re flash the box but any instructions I come across in Google are for different boxes and having no joy at all. Thanks