Neighbourly love

Started by AZOffaly, September 23, 2013, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Heard it plenty of times at Armagh Derry matches from 99 to 03. In saying that you had a rough bandwagon element at your games when you's were successful. I wouldnt say true Armagh fans would be at it. Tyrone on the other hand!!!

Feckitt

Armagh most definitely did have a bandwagon crowd, but the Laois abuse was all coming from proper supporters, not 19yr old pissheads.  The bandwagon brigade don't travel to the Athletic Grounds on a Saturday night.

I have heard Londonderry being chanted on the hill in Clones, by Armagh teenagers, but I don't think this compares to adults shouting Orange bastards, Queen Lovers and f**king dirty british bastards!

Keyser soze

Been to one match involving Laois supporters, not an experience i would care to repeat, most aggressive obnoxious behaviour I've ever witnessed at a match.

Jinxy

Quote from: Feckitt on September 25, 2013, 11:40:09 AM
Armagh most definitely did have a bandwagon crowd, but the Laois abuse was all coming from proper supporters, not 19yr old pissheads.  The bandwagon brigade don't travel to the Athletic Grounds on a Saturday night.

I have heard Londonderry being chanted on the hill in Clones, by Armagh teenagers, but I don't think this compares to adults shouting Orange b**tards, Queen Lovers and f**king dirty british b**tards!

I don't get it.  ???
I thought everybody loved Queen.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

general_lee

County:
Armagh

Neighbours
Down: Yes, if Armagh go out, I shout for them.  :-[ (I know I shouldn't - family ties)
Louth: No real affinity to the Wee County, but if they go far i.e. Leinster final, I'd cheer them on.
Monaghan: Ditto above.
Tyrone: Same again. Used to despise them late 90s - late 2000s but that has subsided somewhat. I'd prefer they didn't win any more AIs until we catch up, but I certainly wouldn't be begrudge them if they did.

Rest of Uladh
Antrim: Mixed feelings towards Antrim. Would love their hurlers to win something, footballers, meh.
Cavan: Family ties to Cavan, so like to see them do well, cheered them on this year.
Derry: As above. Always liked the way the clubs hate each other up there. Hope the county team kicks on soon.
Donegal: Again another county I've a soft spot for, probably from the beatings we gave them at our peak. Was delighted for them last year.
Fermanagh: No affinity. Could go another 100 years without winning Ulster and I'd care none.

Outside Uladh:
No real grá or hate for anyone, I like to support the underdog. In hurling I always like na Déise or this year Clare. I prefer if Cork and Kerry don't win, not for any particular dislike but because they tend to produce serious teams.

As for supporters, Armagh have some of the worst (albeit bandwagoners). The oul "No London in Armagh" was a firm favourite over the years!

Bord na Mona man

Being landlocked in Offaly we're surrounded on all sides, bordered with 7 counties.

Westmeath would be the closest to me. A great infrastructure project to get the country moving again would be to build a wall around the place.  8)
I never thought I'd say it, but winning a Leinster in 2004 was no bad thing as they seem less bitter these days. It's like the starved dog next door who spent years barking over the fence at you, finally getting a bone of his own and wandering off somewhere quiet to chew on it.

Meath - They don't overly bother me. They have an endless supply of pasty faced teenage yahoos that go to matches though. Generally produce tough and honest teams. I think Offaly gaels have a sneaking regard for counties like Meath and Down who have a tradition of going up to Croke Park and bossing the place every now and again. Then retreating to the long grass.

Kildare - A bit suspicious of them. Always has that little vibe of being a plastic GAA county with the Hooray Henry fans and the unscrupulous ways they try to get ahead. Can't say I'd be happy to see it being rewarded. To keep them happy we should let them rent Sam for a year, or create some prize for being the Xth best team in the country and then snip their credit card.

Leix - Don't really mind them, although the rivalry would be hairy over that side of Offaly. A few too many bleached hair and white boot wearing townies at times. Have to admire how they are supporting hurling and football at the moment, despite not having a big population. Set Portlaoise and Portarlington adrift into the Atlantic and they'd be a better county.

Tipperary - Aren't always good winners, but not so much of an issue these days. The default position of most people is to dread them, but I'd actually give the younger generation of Tipp folk the benefit of the doubt.

Galway - Don't mind them. Their hurling fans can overdo the negativity and complaining at times though.

Roscommon - Admire their enthusiasm and optimism. Great for getting behind their teams. Don't really cross our radar that much.

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on September 25, 2013, 12:11:11 PM
I take every game as it comes and decide who I want to win. It can be so close at times that I have to delve into players' family history, right back to Kinsale.

Or I see which team has the most Brit names and then go against them. I rarely support Meath.

You'd rarely support Kilkenny then with a Henry and Walter playing for them.

laoislad

Quote from: blanketattack on September 25, 2013, 10:50:56 AM
Maybe Laois people have an inferiority complex from this...

The county was formerly known as Queen's County (Irish: Contae na Banríona) until its name was informally changed on establishment of the Irish Free State in 1922. The county's name was formerly spelt as Laoighis and Leix. Despite the county's name being upheld as Laois through the 2001 Local Government Act, no legislation was ever enacted after independence explicitly changing the name from Queen's County, the name formally established under the 1898 Local Government Act which continued to have legal effect. When land is sold in the county the relevant title deeds are still updated as being in Queen's County.

I was buying some electrical goods from a UK site last year and after selecting Ireland, for the dropdown list of counties it included 3 counties with 2 names i.e. County Derry/Londonderry, County Offaly/King's County, County Laois/Queen's County.

Eh no we don't.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: Keyser soze on September 25, 2013, 12:00:38 PM
Been to one match involving Laois supporters, not an experience i would care to repeat, most aggressive obnoxious behaviour I've ever witnessed at a match.

It's funny because I think exactly the same as that re Armagh fans.

mackers

Quote from: laoislad on September 25, 2013, 01:31:31 PM

You also seem to think that about all northern teams and  Dublin........you're just re-inforcing the perception that posters have of Laois people every time you post.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

laoislad

Quote from: mackers on September 25, 2013, 01:43:23 PM

You also seem to think that about all northern teams and  Dublin........you're just re-inforcing the perception that posters have of Laois people every time you post.

You seem to think I care what anyone thinks?

mackers

Quote from: laoislad on September 25, 2013, 01:44:08 PM
Quote from: mackers on September 25, 2013, 01:43:23 PM

You seem to think I care what anyone thinks?
Exactly......obnoxious.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Keyser soze

Well good on ye.

I'm not from Armagh so I don't care.

laoislad

A lot of not caring going on around here.

laoislad