The GAABoard calls it 2013 Winner Mayo by 1 - 3 points

Started by Dinny Breen, September 16, 2013, 04:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win Sunday's final and by how much?

Dublin by 1-3
22 (19.5%)
Dublin by 4-6
15 (13.3%)
Dublin by 7+
9 (8%)
Mayo by 1-3
29 (25.7%)
Mayo by 4-6
28 (24.8%)
Mayo by 7+
5 (4.4%)
The GAA (Draw Game)
5 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Voting closed: September 21, 2013, 04:41:57 PM

Fuzzman

I think most people would agree the two best teams are in the final.
Who wins it depends on lots of factors but from my experience the winning of an AI final often comes down to that self belief and hunger.
The 2003 final is a prime example of that where there wasn't much between Armagh & Tyrone. Armagh was hell bent on winning two in a row and certainly not losing to their biggest rivals.
However, Tyrone were even more hungry for success and haven't watched another of their neighbours claim their first title the year before we edged them out.

Dublin won the AI 2 years ago and even the most biased supporter would have to say they probably stole it that day from Kerry. Still they hung in there and it just shows it can come down to small things.

Last year Mayo played well for a lot of that game but they were always chasing the game which is how Donegal like to play you.

I just see Mayo's hunger & steeliness this year at a whole new level and whilst that on its own is no where near enough to win the game, I think it could be that little extra to carry them over the line.

I really don't know if Dublin have that mental strength to keep calm and keep grinding should things not go as planned. Whilst they have a lot of talented footballers, do they have many leaders that can take the game by the scruff of the neck when the chips are down. Maybe they do I don't know but I fear not.

On the other hand you would probably say they dealt with Kerry's forwards and still won out so you would imagine Mayo's attack won't be so prolific.

To be honest I can't really call it and so I am going to go for another AI final draw. Has it ever happened before in the one year?

On a side note, how do poor Mayo ex-pats come back year after year for AI finals, fearing the worst but not wanting to miss the biggest day every. It must be heartbreak to decide, should I risk not going this year.

All the best to both teams and I won't be bothered either way who wins though I'll feel bad for Mayo if they lose again.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 20, 2013, 03:24:21 PM
I think most people would agree the two best teams are in the final.
Who wins it depends on lots of factors but from my experience the winning of an AI final often comes down to that self belief and hunger.
The 2003 final is a prime example of that where there wasn't much between Armagh & Tyrone. Armagh was hell bent on winning two in a row and certainly not losing to their biggest rivals.
However, Tyrone were even more hungry for success and haven't watched another of their neighbours claim their first title the year before we edged them out.

Dublin won the AI 2 years ago and even the most biased supporter would have to say they probably stole it that day from Kerry. Still they hung in there and it just shows it can come down to small things.

Last year Mayo played well for a lot of that game but they were always chasing the game which is how Donegal like to play you.

I just see Mayo's hunger & steeliness this year at a whole new level and whilst that on its own is no where near enough to win the game, I think it could be that little extra to carry them over the line.

I really don't know if Dublin have that mental strength to keep calm and keep grinding should things not go as planned. Whilst they have a lot of talented footballers, do they have many leaders that can take the game by the scruff of the neck when the chips are down. Maybe they do I don't know but I fear not.

On the other hand you would probably say they dealt with Kerry's forwards and still won out so you would imagine Mayo's attack won't be so prolific.

To be honest I can't really call it and so I am going to go for another AI final draw. Has it ever happened before in the one year?

On a side note, how do poor Mayo ex-pats come back year after year for AI finals, fearing the worst but not wanting to miss the biggest day every. It must be heartbreak to decide, should I risk not going this year.

All the best to both teams and I won't be bothered either way who wins though I'll feel bad for Mayo if they lose again.

Simply Mayo is your county , it's in your blood and your soul no matter where you live and football brings us together. This becomes even more prominent in your mind if you have been living far afield. So it isn't a choice but a given for the majority to return in hope.

Fuzzman

Must be expensive and heart destroying over the years
At least up until this Sunday

Crete Boom

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 20, 2013, 03:54:03 PM

In the short term after the final it is heartbreaking but in hindsight there is great craic and experiences had ( mainly pints) on the seemingly endless journey to the promised land. When it comes to money you can't put a price on what Mayo football means to most of us and being from Mayo history teaches us money/jobs/prosperity can often be too fickle to have a major impact on the direction of your life! The ex pats have this magnified for them more than the rest of us in Ireland and I am sure this rings true for most counties who suffer the frequent bouts of emigration.

seafoid

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 20, 2013, 03:54:03 PM
Most counties never win much. Only 1 team wins the fuball every year.
I'm sure Cavan or Kildare fans would love to be where Mayo are now. 
And whenever Mayo do get over the finishing line there will such an outpouring of
heartfelt emotion.

blanketattack

As a Kerryman, I hope Mayo win the double on Sunday. Good luck Mayo lads. As work is petering out on the Friday evening beforehand, it's must be about that time that the butterflies start to arrive.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 20, 2013, 03:24:21 PM

Better team on the day over 70 minutes.  Fully deserved.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: BennyCake on September 20, 2013, 03:10:49 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 20, 2013, 02:45:53 PM
And who did Dublin beat anyway ? Kildare, Meath, Cork, Kerry. Easier side of the draw  ;)
I expect Mayo to be very aggressive from the start.

Yes, but Mayo only beat Galway, Roscommon, London, a Donegal team on the slide for a year and a Tyrone team that was a shadow of it's former self. Tough, close games usually stand to a team well. Mayo haven't had any, bar 35 tough minutes v Tyrone.

Absolute bull, you talk down Donegal and Tyrone because it was Mayo who beat them. The teams Dublin beat in Leinster if to be grouped with Mayo's Connacht opposition and drawn to play off I would be Confident the men from the West will be more than a match or the Easties. Cork, is this the same team Galway were within one poibt of beating. Kerry v Donegal, I am confident Donegal would murder them. Kerry and Cork are in decline.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on September 20, 2013, 03:14:28 PM

Tyrone would be the top 3

I think it could be like 2001.

A top three side would win their provincial title and be able to beat division three sides by more than two points.

In 2001 the defending champions Kerry were well beaten by Meath then they were well beaten in the final. For it to be like 2001 Mayo will have to well beaten in the final i can't see that happening this Mayo side are better than Meath were back then.

BennyCake

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 20, 2013, 05:02:24 PM
Absolute bull, you talk down Donegal and Tyrone because it was Mayo who beat them. The teams Dublin beat in Leinster if to be grouped with Mayo's Connacht opposition and drawn to play off I would be Confident the men from the West will be more than a match or the Easties. Cork, is this the same team Galway were within one poibt of beating. Kerry v Donegal, I am confident Donegal would murder them. Kerry and Cork are in decline.

Everyone knows Donegal were nowhere near last years heights. That was evident from January, plus they had numerous injuries to key players. Some Tyrone folk have admitted that getting to a semi was a bonus this year, so that tells you about the expectations their own fans had for this year.

That last bit in bold - I've no idea what that all means.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 20, 2013, 05:15:51 PM

A top three side would win their provincial title and be able to beat division three sides by more than two points.

In 2001 the defending champions Kerry were well beaten by Meath then they were well beaten in the final. For it to be like 2001 Mayo will have to well beaten in the final i can't see that happening this Mayo side are better than Meath were back then.
Monaghan are not top 3. Tyrone are better than Kerry.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on September 20, 2013, 08:21:53 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 20, 2013, 05:15:51 PM

Monaghan are not top 3. Tyrone are better than Kerry.

Clearly not and how do you make out that Tyrone are better than Kerry?

BartSimpson

Sum nut cases in here. Takin it way to personal.

All tings been normal, Dubs will win by 5/6 points. That al dependds on no sending off or key player inguries etc. eider event and it can mess up the results!

BUT dubs are winners without a catistrofie
guwan the parish

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: BartSimpson on September 21, 2013, 01:15:51 AM
Sum nut cases in here. Takin it way to personal.

All tings been normal, Dubs will win by 5/6 points. That al dependds on no sending off or key player inguries etc. eider event and it can mess up the results!

BUT dubs are winners without a catistrofie

"catistrofie"? WTF!

Without a catastrophe you'll have a trophy, cat and all a cat as a trophy it might be for some! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Aristo 60

I like castastrofie it sounds like a nice dessert....