Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 11, 2013, 12:17:57 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 11, 2013, 12:12:52 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 10, 2013, 11:59:48 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 10, 2013, 11:56:09 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 10, 2013, 11:43:45 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 10, 2013, 11:41:13 PM
Tyrone haven't bate anyone worth 2d either.

HS - you've just insulted all of Offaly, Ros, Kildare, Meath and Monaghan.

You'll be popular. That's like something Brolly would have come out with.

And apart from the Offaly game all those games was only two point wins. Imagine if Mayo had that poor form going into this semi final?

You can not call winning five consecutive games poor form?

In fairness look at who they have played, three of the five sides were playing division three football last spring and Tyrone fell over line against them all.  You can't call that anything other than poorish form?

How many of those games were away from home? How many were lost? How many of those games did they look like losing? Can't see the bad form in any of the results or run?

You would if Mayo had that sequence of results.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 11, 2013, 12:25:40 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 11, 2013, 12:17:57 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 11, 2013, 12:12:52 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 10, 2013, 11:59:48 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 10, 2013, 11:56:09 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 10, 2013, 11:43:45 PM

HS - you've just insulted all of Offaly, Ros, Kildare, Meath and Monaghan.

You'll be popular. That's like something Brolly would have come out with.

And apart from the Offaly game all those games was only two point wins. Imagine if Mayo had that poor form going into this semi final?

You can not call winning five consecutive games poor form?

In fairness look at who they have played, three of the five sides were playing division three football last spring and Tyrone fell over line against them all.  You can't call that anything other than poorish form?

How many of those games were away from home? How many were lost? How many of those games did they look like losing? Can't see the bad form in any of the results or run?

You would if Mayo had that sequence of results.

The current Tyrone team haven't demonstrated the skill of Mayo or indeed their potential for AI-winning performances. For Tyrone this season has been a triumph of management.

If Armagh had Tyrone's sequence of results would it be seen as bad form? Different teams have different barometers. Tyrone have played well, and I suspect to their potential, this year.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on August 11, 2013, 12:37:55 AM
The current Tyrone team haven't demonstrated the skill of Mayo or indeed their potential for AI-winning performances. For Tyrone this season has been a triumph of management.

Tyrone have played well, and I suspect to their potential, this year.

Played well? two point wins against inferior opposition is playing to their potential??

The last few rounds Tyrone avoided some top sides in the draw that on current form would have beaten them. They were paired with Meath in round four and Monaghan in the quarter finals to reach the semi final. To call it  triumph of management is insult to Mickey Harte.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2013, 12:00:11 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2013, 11:50:15 PM

That is true. We have not bate a side I'd consider a fine scalp.

Tyrone haven't beaten a decent team since 2008. Mayo keep beating reigning all Ireland champions!

Aye but look what happens in the next game every year!
Hasta la victoria siempre

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2013, 09:09:41 AM
I see Mayo have released their All-Ireland Final song - http://youtu.be/vKCZaeEcN2U

Fair play. They deserve one after their performances.
That was never a square ball!!

Hardy

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2013, 09:09:41 AM
I see Mayo have released their All-Ireland Final song - http://youtu.be/vKCZaeEcN2U

Yeah, that was released for the 2012 final!  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on August 10, 2013, 08:39:21 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2013, 08:04:23 PM
Not a word a lie.

I says to them 'I suppose you'll need to watch Cavanagh'.

Says one "O'Shea will teach the Cavanaghs what midfield play is all about, and that's just at the throw in".

To be honest I found the total belief endearing. I said I hoped they didn't let that unwavering confidence seep through to the players. Says one "listen, bucko, we'd beat the pick of Tyrone and the rest of Ulster and the whest."

Quote from: rrhf on August 10, 2013, 05:24:54 PM
The country has mayo backed here.  It's simply a question of what you have them at.  Could this be the most one sided semi final in 3 decades, are mayo still 9/4 for Sam. Might have a bit of that _ the talk is that that's quality odds. I feel that it's more than just a battle between 2 midfielders who can't tackle.

What is the handicap?

Arrogance and victimhood all in one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqoltLJbyrQ
It sounds like an Apres Match sketch

ONeill

Just hope Mayo don't resort to the cynicism they displayed in the last 5 mins of last year's semi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OORqdU5kzwI
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2013, 12:38:55 PM
Just hope Mayo don't resort to the cynicism they displayed in the last 5 mins of last year's semi.

they'll be well out of sight by then anawez

From the Bunker

Lets hope we are in a position to resort to that sort of cynicism! ;)

Lar Naparka

Well, I've watched the full 12 minutes and 42 second of the final 5 minutes you talk about and once again I have marvelled at the courage of Clarkie and his equally bruised, battered and banjaxed team mates in the face of adversity.
It reminded me of the equally courageous fight against overwhelming odds by another Davy and his indomitable comrades.
Okay, Crockett was well and truly crocked when that gig was over but our Alamo held out and our walking wounded survived to fight another day.
How they managed to do so will always remain a mystery as their 16 opponents tried to bite, boot and bollack their way through the green and red lines.
But they never showed the white feather in spite of the best efforts of Joe McQuillan and, to a lesser extent, the Dublin team to deny them their passage to the All-Ireland final.
How they managed to field a full complement of players in the frenetic closing stages will never be explained by conventional logic alone. The walking, or more appropriately the limping, wounded were forced back into action again as the war of relentless attrition took its inevitable toll. Having been subjected to a barrage of digs to the jaw and to kicks up the hole from beginning to end, they somehow managed to drag themselves over the line of victory. (It may be said in passing that Joe Sheridan from the Royal County should know what I mean.)
It has to be said that their foes, all 16 of them, sometimes took the wrong option and their inadequate skill set led in great part to their own downfall.
I lost track of the number of times a Dublin player with the road to goal open before him, inexplicably changed course and crashed straight into a group of Mayo's bravest and finest -and totally bollaxed as well.
Whatever possessed a number of those relentless attackers to literally lose the run of themselves and turn somersaults with the goal at their mercy time and time again?
It may not be because they knew they'd get easy frees from their accomplice with his ever ready whistle but I can't think of any other reason.
Fortunately, Mayo withstood all that was thrown at them and Joe Mac was denied the POTY award that would have been his for the taking.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Thanks for that, I enjoyed it.

We conceded 4 frees in 10 minutes. Dirty bastards that we are.

Interesting that both of the last 2 Dublin frees should have been overturned by the ref due to the reaction of Dublin players.
MWWSI 2017