Any landlords on here?

Started by Rois, June 18, 2013, 04:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL/MAYO

Put some time into checking out your tenants, it'll be worth the effort to go some digging. Call the landlord they used prior to their present lease, credit check, reference check etc. You'll be amazed what you could find out about someone on Google and Facebook. When you get a good tenant do what you can to keep them in the house for a few years.

Muzz

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on June 18, 2013, 04:47:47 PM
Quote from: Rois on June 18, 2013, 04:12:31 PM
I'm about to rent out my house for the first time and was hoping for a few words of wisdom, having never done this before.

Using an agent to let it but need to know about insurance, safety certificates etc.  Anyone able to help?

Make sure the electricity is a card meter

This is illegal if you are required to go HMO!!!

michaelg

I have only had bother when I have let out property to locals (Belfast).  Decent hard-working Eastern European folk are the way forward.  Also, a bird in the hand and all that.  i.e. If you have good tenants, keep the rent down and look after them.  If you chase an extra £30 or £40 a month it means f**k all if the property is not let for a month or two.  Have the place in decent order and get things fixed as soon as problems occur, and good tenants will more than likely stay.
Also, if you are going to be doing self-assessment and paying tax on any profits earned, keep all receipts for tradesmen used, repairs etc.

heffo

Quote from: FL/MAYO on June 18, 2013, 07:58:18 PM
Put some time into checking out your tenants, it'll be worth the effort to go some digging. Call the landlord they used prior to their present lease, credit check, reference check etc. You'll be amazed what you could find out about someone on Google and Facebook. When you get a good tenant do what you can to keep them in the house for a few years.

Very good advice

Ulick

Worst tenant I ever had was a law lecturer from Queen's and her boyfriend. Came with good references and I dare say there'd have been no way of knowing they would be dirty, smelly useless feckers. Sometimes it's just pot luck and you have to go with your instinct. I never let the property to the first person viewing but them I've been lucky enough there's good demand where my place is.

Rois

That's great stuff, thanks.

We hope not to go down the HMO route - too much hassle! Agent will check the tenants etc - he is confident he will "do a good job" with our house. He's also a friend of a friend which is reassuring.
My sis is getting her house renovated up in North Belfast at the mo which is useful for us in two ways - we can piggyback off her tradesmen and she had been looking for a house to rent for six months while their house is being done, and when she asked about a house in our development, the last one that came on the rental market was taken within hours apparently. It's a nice relatively new four bed/3 shower/4 toilet house that has been low maintenance for last six years - but I'm sure it'll all go pear shaped as soon as we move out!

Maguire01

Quote from: Rois on June 18, 2013, 04:12:31 PM
I'm about to rent out my house for the first time and was hoping for a few words of wisdom, having never done this before.

Using an agent to let it but need to know about insurance, safety certificates etc.  Anyone able to help?
Using an agent is a good move in my opinion, for a couple of reasons:
1 - They'll credit/reference check prospective tenants
2 - They'll provide you with a proper tenancy agreement
Well worth the price of a month's rent, or whatever they charge (don't be afraid to haggle!)

As has been said, landlord insurance is a must. You also need an energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Importantly, if you have gas in the house, you need an annual boiler service - i'd make sure and be on the ball with this one - you don't want to be in a situation where there's a gas explosion and you haven't had the boiler serviced (also I think it's actually a legal requirement).

Having said all that, if your letting agent is any good, they'll let you know exactly what you need.

Rois

Well house now all but rented out for the year subject to references.  Agent hasn't had much to do as the first viewers have taken it.

Downside - we have to do the HMO stuff so it'll cost a bit more at the start, but going to do it by the book.  It means no card meter for the electricity, and now I have to go and source fire extinguishers etc.

Anyone here familiar with HMO regulations?  If so, can you tell me if I have to put in emergency lighting on the stairs?  It would really take the look away from the house.  There's light at the bottom of the stairs if that helps? 

T Fearon

Surely any competent letting Agent/Estate Agent would be able to tell you quickly and simply what your obligations are? So why risk the advice from amateurs here?

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on July 10, 2013, 03:00:31 PM
Surely any competent letting Agent/Estate Agent would be able to tell you quickly and simply what your obligations are? So why risk the advice from amateurs here?

Such people always perform better when asked the right question.
Comments here might well provide that question.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Thought the right question was obvious? Like, as a landlord what are my statutory obligations to my tenants?

Rois

Quote from: T Fearon on July 10, 2013, 03:00:31 PM

Ach jeez I just wanted a bit of info on one particular thing, being lighting for a hall way.  A similar comment could have been made to you when asking seating advice on concert halls. 

Thanks for taking the effort to be unhelpful, it means more that way. 

T Fearon

Fair play to you for believing a word you read on this forum!

Seating advice at gigs is unnecessary.You go to the seat you've purchased and watch if any better ones remain vacant after ten minutes,and if so you simply move and occupy one of these! ;D

AZOffaly

"Purchased"?? Surely not, Tony.

T Fearon