Iconic GAA Statements and Utterances.

Started by 5 Sams, April 04, 2013, 10:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

"We beat the team that couldn't be beaten"

Pete McGrath 1991

Aristo 60

Quote from: ApresMatch on April 05, 2013, 03:17:45 PM
'We were the team, that beat the team, that couldnt be beat!!' (McGrath, 1991)

Or as yer man above said !

Aristo 60

Quote from: BennyCake on April 05, 2013, 05:09:57 PM
I liked the story of Down v Kerry in the 60s. Can't remember the year or players involved. But Down were ahead near full time, and the Kerry player asks the ref "how longs left?". The Down player was nearby, and says "365 days".

Paddy Doherty said this.

Gaffer

"One from the hand and one from the land"
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on April 05, 2013, 04:54:40 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 05, 2013, 03:51:06 PM
F###  off Babs.
Offaly July 1998

They will say ye are only fancy dans who play fancy dan football.
Galway February 1998

I can't see a team from Connacht getting to an All Ireland in the next 10 years.
Ross Carr 1995

Sure we were very lucky to win a few all Irelands like

I think it was Eddie Brennan who said it.That cat modesty.

;D ;D ;D
That 96 semifinal job on kerry was wonderful.

BennyHarp

"If you want to play football, we'll play football, if you want to box we'll box"
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 05, 2013, 06:20:25 PM
"If you want to play football, we'll play football, if you want to box we'll box"

Katie Taylor?
MWWSI 2017

Wildweasel74

That one with mick kerins is class lol

rosnarun

was it nott "If you want to play football, say you want to play football and we'll play football, if you want to box  say you want to box and we'll box"
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

johnpower

Quote from: Syferus on April 05, 2013, 12:55:32 AM
"When you take on the responsibility of representing your place and as soon as you put on the jersey of Roscommon or whatever place you come from, people will identify you as coming from that place. And then you have a responsibility to perform and act to show what you are made of for the good of that community."

- Dermot Earley, with thanks to Mango for reminding us of the quote

One of the great quotes from one of the greatest

5 Sams

Quote from: johnpower on April 05, 2013, 10:38:25 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 05, 2013, 12:55:32 AM
"When you take on the responsibility of representing your place and as soon as you put on the jersey of Roscommon or whatever place you come from, people will identify you as coming from that place. And then you have a responsibility to perform and act to show what you are made of for the good of that community."

- Dermot Earley, with thanks to Mango for reminding us of the quote

One of the great quotes from one of the greatest

+1
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

Not heard at a match and it has been on here several times before but its worth another mention....

It involves the Ballygar-St. Brendan's hurling club in Galway where a major dispute reared it's head at the AGM. The chairman is reportedly a straight-talking bachelor of questionable diplomacy. Amidst the row, a newly appointed priest took the floor commenting on how the GAA should be a focal point for the 2 parishes, not a source of argument. He continued on about how everyone should pull together for the good of the club and see the club as a unifying force.

The chairman stood up and said: "Thanks a lot for that now Father, but that's the kind of shite that sickens my hole."
The Aristocrat Years

ONeill

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 05, 2013, 11:32:41 PM
Not heard at a match and it has been on here several times before but its worth another mention....

It involves the Ballygar-St. Brendan's hurling club in Galway where a major dispute reared it's head at the AGM. The chairman is reportedly a straight-talking bachelor of questionable diplomacy. Amidst the row, a newly appointed priest took the floor commenting on how the GAA should be a focal point for the 2 parishes, not a source of argument. He continued on about how everyone should pull together for the good of the club and see the club as a unifying force.

The chairman stood up and said: "Thanks a lot for that now Father, but that's the kind of shite that sickens my hole."

Sickens my hole the amount of time that's told on here.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

Quote from: rosnarun on April 05, 2013, 10:12:09 PM
was it nott "If you want to play football, say you want to play football and we'll play football, if you want to box  say you want to box and we'll box"

Yeah, something like that - I couldn't be arsed going to find the exact quote!
That was never a square ball!!

5 Sams

Quote from: ONeill on April 05, 2013, 11:35:08 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on April 05, 2013, 11:32:41 PM

Sickens my hole the amount of time that's told on here.
Take your hole somewhere else where it won't be sickened then.
The Aristocrat Years