Shergar - horsenapped 30 years ago today

Started by Shamrock Shore, February 08, 2013, 11:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Itchy on February 08, 2013, 09:59:46 PM
There were a lot of people machine gunned too, I'd say many more people were upset about people being gunned down than a horse.

Of course. No one suggested otherwise.

This was more than just a horse though. Had the Aga Khan pulled out of Ireland our whole thoroughbred breeding industry which employs thousands could have been irreparably damaged. It was a pointless, ill-advised and callous crime.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Itchy

Rossfan

Typical Kildare worrying about an oul' horse.
Sure ye've thousands more of them there  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Poor Shergar. Awful way to die. Very damaging for the industry as well. He was hung out to dry by the owners too. And Sunningdale for slow learners. Nothing good came out of it. Thanks for the video dh.

ONeill

And poor Sefton don't forget.

That article by DH is a load of horse manure.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stephenite

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 08, 2013, 09:53:27 PM
How could anyone with a shred of humanity equinity (or perhaps equine amity) inflict such a gruesome death on this magnificent creature?

Surely?  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Nally Stand

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 08, 2013, 10:54:58 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 08, 2013, 10:39:28 PM
Quote from: stephenite on February 08, 2013, 10:29:26 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 08, 2013, 10:26:08 PM

No it's not

In my opinion it is.

Because the person mentioned is from Tyrone?..

Any article which takes the infamous liar Sean O'Callaghan seriously, can and should be regarded as manure. Not if they quoted Pinnochio, Ronnie Flanagan or Lance Armstrong could they have picked a more untrustworthy individual to reference.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 08, 2013, 11:24:23 PM

No it's not

In my opinion it is.

Any article which takes the infamous liar Sean O'Callaghan seriously, can and should be regarded as manure. Not if they quoted Pinnochio, Ronnie Flanagan or Lance Armstrong could they have picked a more untrustworthy individual to reference.

O'Callaghan's version of events (that the horse was "put out of it's misery" after injuring himself in the box) is disputed in the article?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

lynchbhoy

The article sounds like a propaganda piece. I'd say those responsible would have shot the horse in the head. Machine gunned to bleed to death like many of their victims is overly dramatic and not the MO of the oglaigh Na heireann.

'twas a strange sensation having your attic searched for a horse as a young fella I have to admit!

ONeill

And so, the greatest racehorse of the century was butchered in the same way that the IRA killed many of its human enemies.

He said he had long suspected that the horse, in the hands of non-experts, had met a lingering death "crazed with pain"

Those who looked after and rode Shergar agree that he was one of the kindest, gentlest racehorses ever to grace the racetrack.

It's this shite that I cannot entertain. Ye'd ate beef burgers, chicken fillets and eggs and not give a damn about how it got on your table. But a bit of journalistic artistry and the butchering of an animal who won people money for being fast and ......

Nally Stand

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 08, 2013, 11:33:49 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on February 08, 2013, 11:24:23 PM

No it's not

In my opinion it is.

O'Callaghan's version of events (that the horse was "put out of it's misery" after injuring himself in the box) is disputed in the article?
As far as I am concerned, any article that gives any sort of credence to what O'Callaghan says, is a worthless article. The sensationalist/ dramatised language of the recollection of an "unnamed" but somehow still "impeccable" source does nothing to enhance the level of worth I'd place on the article either. Aside from that, I'm sure it's completely plausible that two men could spend "several minutes" trying unsuccessfully to kill a horse by machine gun  ::)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore