If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 26, 2013, 08:10:43 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 26, 2013, 07:43:21 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2013, 07:32:50 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 26, 2013, 07:24:29 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2013, 07:17:09 PM
Best team won. No complaints.

Donegal are a brilliant side with a great manager.

Tyrone will be hard to beat in the qualifiers.

Not sure if they are a BRILLIANT side bit but they certainly have a brilliant manager. They have a handful of top class players but a lot of average ones as well moulded into a very effective functioning unit by McGuinness.

Donegal going for a hat trick of Ulsters, coming in as AI champs in my mind says they're a brilliant team. Tyrone in their pomp couldn't achieve that.

Yeah you can't argue with their record but they are more machine like in their football. They may well go on to retain their title ( and I think they will) but they wouldn't have the same calibre of players as that Tyrone side. Lacey, McFadden and Murphy (and potentially McBrearty) are top class but the rest are hard working willing soldiers that McGuinness has got the best out of. McGuinness is the single biggest reason for the transformation of the county.

I think it's quite ironic that tyrone fans are coming out with this type of statement. You could make exactly the same comment about the Tyrone teams 03/05/08 and Mickey Harte. IMO, the reason behind any of the success Tyrone have had is Mickey Harte. Yes there have been a few exceptional players along the way, but the vast majority were just average as well but were well drilled and stuck to what they were told to do.
From McGuinness came into the Donegal role he set about preparing the team in much the same way Mickey Harte did with an underachieving side. It's like history repeating, only Donegal now have that sprinkling of exceptional players. Tyrone are still trying to do the same thing they have done before, but they dont have those exceptional players any more (barring O'Neill anyway). Donegal are going to be around for a while and I dont think they'll be beat in Ulster unless they have an off day. It might be hard for them to reach the same intensity they did today against any of the remaining teams as they wouldnt see them as as big a risk as Tyrone. So only hope is to catch them on the hop.
As far as the AI is concerned, Donegal are the only team about that can beat Donegal.

Yeah, thats fair comment, hard to disagree with that but I do think that Tyrone side with players like Canavan, O'Neill, Mulligan, McGuigan, Cavanagh etc had more a lot individual flair. It's no coincidence that Donegals most talented players look poorer playing in the Donegal system ie Murphy, McBrearty but the lesser ones look better players than they actually are. The system they play stifles creative flair.

Dont Matter

Quote from: Jinxy on May 26, 2013, 08:11:42 PM
Dublin will beat Donegal.
I guarantee it.

That's a good warning for Donegal fans. Watch out when you play Dublin, keep your valuables safe cause the Dubs will beat you.
You have a good chance on the pitch however.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on May 26, 2013, 08:11:42 PM
Dublin will beat Donegal.
I guarantee it.

Can't see it myself. Undoubtedly they have better players and I think that is what most people base their opinion on. The Donegal system will be Dublins undoing like many before them. Dublin are the only top team that Donegal haven't beaten yet and that will be an extra source of motivation for them.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 26, 2013, 08:10:43 PM

I think it's quite ironic that tyrone fans are coming out with this type of statement. You could make exactly the same comment about the Tyrone teams 03/05/08 and Mickey Harte. IMO, the reason behind any of the success Tyrone have had is Mickey Harte. Yes there have been a few exceptional players along the way, but the vast majority were just average as well but were well drilled and stuck to what they were told to do.
From McGuinness came into the Donegal role he set about preparing the team in much the same way Mickey Harte did with an underachieving side. It's like history repeating, only Donegal now have that sprinkling of exceptional players. Tyrone are still trying to do the same thing they have done before, but they dont have those exceptional players any more (barring O'Neill anyway).

Nonsense. Cormac McAnallen, Conor Gormley, Philip Jordan, Sean Cavanagh, Brian Dooher, Brian McGuigan, Owen Mulligan, Peter Cananvan and Stephen O'Neill. All magnificent footballers. There were other boys in those Tyrone teams who were away above "average". I would not underplay the role of Mickey Harte in Tyrone's success in the previous decade but the fact is that he had a brilliant set of players to work with, players who had already enjoyed huge success at underage level. The Tyrone team of 2005 in particular was one of the best teams in recent decades. It's just a poor comparison from you there and nothing like "history repeating". Tyrone were reigning league champions when Harte took over and had won a provincial title 18 months previously as well. Nothing like Donegal when McGuinness got the job.

Aaron Boone

Tyrone out to 16/1 to win the All-Ireland, Donegal 3/1.

screenexile

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 26, 2013, 08:07:58 PM
Disappointing result but the better team won. KL made some difference. I was shocked by the sheer lack of any class in victory from a large section of Donegal supporters at the end though. As Tyrone fans began leaving early there were scores of donegal fans, including grown men, in the stand waving car keys, singing "chiompioneees", hurling fairly scummy abuse at them and giving them the fingers. Absolutely trampish behaviour.

Hilarious! Glass houses and throwing stones comes to mind!

I would take you back to Tyrones behaviour in 2004 when playing Derry in the first round of the Championship. Pot, Kettle, Black!

Mont

Jesis Christ. Wer do u start.
Donegal are bunch of systematic fouling bastids but boy they r good at it.
Divin, yapping at ref, haulin and pullin. Won't work next year wen black card is in.
As for Gallagher, someone shud hav hit him a box in the gub. Twat.
Mc Guinness is a tactical genius. Al players bought in2 his ideas.
How come no other manger thought of puttin 3 tall players in front of kicker. Cluxton wil get same for rest of year.

Suprised not more yappin from Tyrone wana yet. Sure it will start and ref will get it.

Imagine if they draw our Ma in next round. Some yapping at that game. Ref, managers, the works will get it and it wil probably be brollys fault

clarshack

thought we were exposed big time on the sidleine today.  really disappointed with that today.

Nally Stand

Quote from: screenexile on May 26, 2013, 08:39:08 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 26, 2013, 08:07:58 PM
Disappointing result but the better team won. KL made some difference. I was shocked by the sheer lack of any class in victory from a large section of Donegal supporters at the end though. As Tyrone fans began leaving early there were scores of donegal fans, including grown men, in the stand waving car keys, singing "chiompioneees", hurling fairly scummy abuse at them and giving them the fingers. Absolutely trampish behaviour.

Hilarious! Glass houses and throwing stones comes to mind!

I would take you back to Tyrones behaviour in 2004 when playing Derry in the first round of the Championship. Pot, Kettle, Black!

Well I was doing no such thing in 2004, nor was every Donegal fan today, so I'm not in any glass house. I am merely commenting on the trampish behaviour from a fairly large section of the Donegal support in the stand at the end. Your gripe about behaviour of Tyrone fans nine years ago has absolutely no relevance to my point whatsoever. When people with children at their sides are walking past Donegal fans waving car keys, shouting abuse and giving them the fingers, then I stand by my original post. The behaviour of those particular fans today showed a real lack of class.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Wildweasel74

Giving the fingers, was it really that bad? i have seen hostile crowds before, tyrone 95 in clones jumps quick to mind, serious abuse that day, donegal did seem to have a section of fans last yr in areas who were mouthy but they seemed teenagers/ early 20`s, wasn't much to say back to them when they were 10pts up. Monaghan in a bar in belfast back round 2006 comes to mind, with 20 odd lads chanting in a pub we dont take the queens shilling, close to a row that day,

Wildweasel74

You got to remember lads, this lot jumped gaa legend Spillane 2yrs ago, looks like they have picked up a few dodgy supporters, hell thats what the bandwagon all about lol

Dont Matter

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 26, 2013, 09:15:10 PM
Giving the fingers, was it really that bad? i have seen hostile crowds before, tyrone 95 in clones jumps quick to mind, serious abuse that day, donegal did seem to have a section of fans last yr in areas who were mouthy but they seemed teenagers/ early 20`s, wasn't much to say back to them when they were 10pts up. Monaghan in a bar in belfast back round 2006 comes to mind, with 20 odd lads chanting in a pub we dont take the queens shilling, close to a row that day, thought we were out numbered 20 to 4. love to see them lads again as we bailed the f**kers out lol

Not a clue do I have what you're saying.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

screenexile

On the game itself I thought Tyrone did well at midfield but their plan to tale the ball down the wings and shoot at crazy angles didn't work. Also the tactic of bringing Morgan up for stupid frees bit them badly on the ass. It was hugely demoralising for him and ultimately the team to miss so many frees. There was one he missed when the game was level (I think) where the whole team looked deflated and then Donegal brought on Lacey to a huge cheer which turned the screw for Donegal and they never looked back.

Tyrones defence also weren't up to it. Carlin and Gormley were destroyed for pace in the build up to Wherrity's goal and in todays game pace is so important as all the big teams have it and you must be able to deal with it.

PS. Colm Cavanagh is brutal!