2012 county hurling championships

Started by joe bloggs, September 16, 2012, 01:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jiminy

Kildare hurling final on today.
Celbridge were going for 4-in-a-row but in the end were defeated by Confey on a score of 1-16 to 0-14.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Absent on October 07, 2012, 05:14:23 PM
Kilmallock beat Adare in a close affair in Limerick,they will now play the Tipp champions in Kilmallock in the Munster Club Championship.
Kilmallock will have home advantage as well.

Farrandeelin

Not that it will register with any of you lot in hurling heartlands or anything, but Ballyhaunis won the Mayo hurling final for the 5th year in a row. Keith Higgins was captain. Must have been a thrilling encounter as they beat their near neighbours Tooreen on a scoreline of 1-14 to 0-16.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 08, 2012, 07:44:34 PM
Not that it will register with any of you lot in hurling heartlands or anything, but Ballyhaunis won the Mayo hurling final for the 5th year in a row. Keith Higgins was captain. Must have been a thrilling encounter as they beat their near neighbours Tooreen on a scoreline of 1-14 to 0-16.

By all accounts  Ballyhaunis should be beating the intermediate Galway teams, they have to push on and actually compete at that level. They played TAD on a Sunday the day after TAD played a bruising club final and still managed to get beat by 8 or 9 points, that was a few years ago. Haven't seen Higgins hurl but I hear he's a goodin
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Tynagh Abbey Duniry, Galway senior club, well were, not sure, a couple of panelist on Galway team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bp

The Clare senior semis are on this weekend,
a hotly fancied Clonlara play Newmarket on the Saturday, and on the Sunday Cratloe who have been very busy over the last month are facing Inagh-Kilnamona who are bidding to reach their first ever final as a single entity.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 08, 2012, 08:21:14 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 08, 2012, 07:44:34 PM

By all accounts  Ballyhaunis should be beating the intermediate Galway teams, they have to push on and actually compete at that level. They played TAD on a Sunday the day after TAD played a bruising club final and still managed to get beat by 8 or 9 points, that was a few years ago. Haven't seen Higgins hurl but I hear he's a goodin

I think that was also the day after Ballyhaunis won the Mayo final which went to extra time which meant they were fairly spent the next day! I think (although I'm probably wrong) the last time a Mayo team won a Connacht tie was when Ballina James Stephens defeated the Rossie Champs Athleague in 2007. Also I think we beat a Leitrim or Sligo team in the round before? The reason I remember was the final versus Portumna was fixed for Athleague before even the semi-final was played cause we had to play Portumna in the middle of bandit country instead of Ballina where there would have been a large neutral crowd just to see Joe Canning. We then lost the Intermediate final to Tommy Larkins (the prize for losing senior finalists) by about 9 points in a game where I think we missed 10 or 11 scoreable frees. :o

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Every county has its own hurling heartlands where the clubs can be strong even if  the county is weak. Ballyhaunis and Toreen seem to crop up a lot in Mayo. Burt in Donegal. Carrickmore or Dungannon in Tyrone, Kevin Lynches in Derry, Lisbellaw in Fermanagh etc etc. Lynches would be well ahead of the others mentioned but in all these areas hurling is the big sport just as much as anywhere else in Ireland. Kerry has hurling areas too, Paul Galvins club Lixnaw I think is deffo hurling more than football

theticklemister

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 11, 2012, 07:53:17 PM
Every county has its own hurling heartlands where the clubs can be strong even if  the county is weak. Ballyhaunis and Toreen seem to crop up a lot in Mayo. Burt in Donegal. Carrickmore or Dungannon in Tyrone, Kevin Lynches in Derry, Lisbellaw in Fermanagh etc etc. Lynches would be well ahead of the others mentioned but in all these areas hurling is the big sport just as much as anywhere else in Ireland. Kerry has hurling areas too, Paul Galvins club Lixnaw I think is deffo hurling more than football

Kevin Lynches not far ahead this fear................................... Swatragh the best team in Derry this year!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: theticklemister on October 11, 2012, 07:56:07 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 11, 2012, 07:53:17 PM

Kevin Lynches not far ahead this fear................................... Swatragh the best team in Derry this year!

Agreed, I was referring to other teams in my list.  Dungiven still has more consistent participation and tradition than Swatragh although other areas are catching up which is good for Derry hurling

CitySlicker11

Kevin Lynch's (Dungiven) can't really be considered one of these types of clubs, due to the towns success in football.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on October 11, 2012, 10:02:00 PM
Kevin Lynch's (Dungiven) can't really be considered one of these types of clubs, due to the towns success in football.
[/quot

hurling would be ahead of football in dungiven

GalwayBayBoy

Salthill Hotel Senior Hurling Championship Quarter Finals

13/10/2012

Gort 3-13 vs 2-14 Padraig Pearses

Loughrea 0-16 vs 1-13 Mullagh

Other two games on Sunday.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 14, 2012, 01:14:33 AM
Salthill Hotel Senior Hurling Championship Quarter Finals

13/10/2012

Gort 3-13 vs 2-14 Padraig Pearses

Loughrea 0-16 vs 1-13 Mullagh

Other two games on Sunday.

Gort were 1/8 to, just enough to get over the line, Loughrea still a force in Galway it seems, Thought Mullagh might have pulled off a win there

Portumna out today, Canning fit for this game?