Cork v Donegal Semi Final

Started by All of a Sludden, August 05, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I find that an astonishing position to take. You're basically saying you're happy to sacrifice the opportunity of all senior club players in Donegal the chance of an Ulster and All Ireland medal for the chance of IC glory. Your opponents, who by the way, aren't an immensely successful football county themselves are carrying on with their club championships as they should. Counties should have to finish their club championships in due course as is their responsibility. My own county pulled a similar stroke not so long ago and gained nothing by it. We should either split county and club altogether or find a system whereby they can exist together but calling off club games like this is a disgrace. I can only presume Donegal folk agreeing with it have no involvement in club football.

armaghniac

In fairness, Donegal teams have a limited influence on the destination of the Ulster club championship.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Zulu

True, but you could say that about many teams in all sports. The reality is that all club players should know when they are playing and should be allowed compete for their titles in reasonable time frame. I don't know how lads put up with it to be honest and I'm not sure many will for much longer.

cadence

Quote from: Zulu on August 10, 2012, 07:41:47 PM
I find that an astonishing position to take. You're basically saying you're happy to sacrifice the opportunity of all senior club players in Donegal the chance of an Ulster and All Ireland medal for the chance of IC glory. Your opponents, who by the way, aren't an immensely successful football county themselves are carrying on with their club championships as they should. Counties should have to finish their club championships in due course as is their responsibility. My own county pulled a similar stroke not so long ago and gained nothing by it. We should either split county and club altogether or find a system whereby they can exist together but calling off club games like this is a disgrace. I can only presume Donegal folk agreeing with it have no involvement in club football.

utilitarian rather than kantian ethics. i'm comforatable with it. wee bit of perspective. no human rights breaches here.

In the Onion Bag

Excuse me but. returning to the topic,

I love Cark football, but on this occasion I feel they better beware as the Ulster champs are coming to get them

omochain

Clever post Smart one but check out the great Wiki's take on Kant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantian_ethics
Maybe both club and county resemble the duty thing

cadence

kant's duty is more straight up principles and values, e.g. one human life being precious enough to base an ethical decision/action upon. he'd see there being a duty to go to war to save one life for example. bit extreme, but if you extend the argument that's where you'd get. whereas utilitarianism is basing that choice on what would be of benefit to the majority. county wins out using utilitarian ethics, club is more important using kantian ethics. i'm sticking to utilitarianism on this one!

rrhf

cadence

if he is, he'll be making his case out on the field, as his duty demands. good fun this!

eviemonkey

Quote from: rrhf on August 11, 2012, 01:40:07 PM
Will Kanty be fit?

Should be, and if he does he will probably be sacrificing his own attacking instincts to operate as a sweeper in front of McFadden. Pure utilitarianism at its best in the pursuit of the greater good. 

Cork's deontological brand of attacking football should ultimately overcome Donegal's consequentialist approach.

Utilitarianism + Kanty + Deontological ethics > Utilitarianism on its own = Cork win.

cadence

bit of post-structuralism too in the donegal game would you not say eviemonkey? donegal win if so!

Denn Forever

I was intrigued as to what some of those words meant.  You learn something everyday but lets hope Anthony Davis doesn't try using some of those words

de·on·tol·o·gy (d n-t l -j ). n. Ethical theory concerned with duties and rights. [Greek deon, deont-, obligation, necessity (from neuter present participle of dein, ...

con·se·quen·tial·ism (k n s -kw n sh -l z m). n. The view that the value of an action derives solely from the value of its consequences.

Can't figure post-structuralism though.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cadence

took me over an hour to write out an explanation of post-structuralism and how it applies to donegal, then i lost the feckin' thing becasue i had stopped being logged in.

eviemonkey

Quote from: cadence on August 11, 2012, 09:03:27 PM
took me over an hour to write out an explanation of post-structuralism and how it applies to donegal, then i lost the feckin' thing becasue i had stopped being logged in.

Systems failure, a sign of things to come on the 26th.  ;)

I had to google post-structuralism and having digested it I still hadn't a clue how it applied to Donegal. That probably had a lot to do with me still not fully understanding post-structuralism even after the google search. Throw up the executive summary up there when you get another chance.

Early reports are the Cork players came through their club games ok so far, with a couple more to play tomorrow. Kant is happy regardless, Bentham and Canty are keeping their fingers crossed.

johnpower

I am looking forward to this game. I am not so sure of the Donegal system as they nearly lost it the last day ,however they strike me as a very dedicated astute bunch who will know where they have to improve. Cork are good and are unique that they have no really outstanding player but rather a strong squad. My view is that Donegal will have to be more ambitious and get Murphy into the game more. I am hoping to get there in person and will be completely neutral and hope the best team win.