Ulster Senior Football Final, Donegal v Down 22nd July .

Started by norabeag, June 30, 2012, 08:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadence

some mcguinness views on that kerry game, he thinks kerry are the best team at thinking on the pitch...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0607/sport/finding-a-plan-b-will-be-crucial-to-tyrones-progress-196538.html

although he said he didn't think we performed that day, he does acknowledge how good kerry are...

http://donegalnews.com/2012/03/11/donegal-gunned-down-in-kerry/

o'conner on how kerry planned a way to beat the swarm...

http://munster.gaa.ie/2012/03/11/allianz-football-league-division-1-kerry-v-donegal/

i'd hope not to see us shipping that amount of points again and hope that it was an off day for us, but it could happen again. a team plays poorly and the opposition play well, the former tends to get badly beat, regardless of what type of a system that's being used. just hope this doesn't happen to us again. if we're going to get beat, it's better for the players to go down playing well. at least then they'll know, having been beaten, how far off they are from the level they need to be at to win.

having said that, whilst football is football and any team can be beat, we're in good shape. i still can't get over our turnaround though. it takes some doing changing a culture and mentality root and branch. not only that, as far as i can make out, the support for what is happening is overwhelming. there's even efforts to build a centre of excellence?! who'd a thunk it. hats off to mcguinness, his team, all the players and those involved in running and organising the game in donegal.

make your transition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYAIJjZD1I0

J70

Its hard to believe the turnaround all right. Ten or eleven of the current first fifteen started in Crossmaglen two years ago. Many of them played against Cork in 2009, although given the power and athleticism of Cork that day and the fact that it was Donegal's fourth week out in a row, I wouldn't hold that game against them TOO much. And then a few would have played in the collapses against Tyrone and Monaghan in 2007. I couldn't see those types of hammerings and surrenders happening to this current team, despite the common personnel. Its all down to McGuinness.

RMDrive

Big Neil Gallagher picked up an injury in a league game last night. Major doubt for the final. Neil has been one of our best and most consistent performers this year and would be a massive loss.

Aristo 60

I thought Jim had fix'd it that players were not involved in club games?

What is the feeling in Donegal if Gallagher can't play, I'd have said he was a key component in the overall strategy??

donegal_abu

Quote from: Aristo 60 on July 08, 2012, 08:51:55 PM

What is the feeling in Donegal if Gallagher can't play, I have said he was a key component in the overall strategy??

dont talk to me  >:( >:( >:(

Aaron Boone

Down 4/1 to win a match, any match, is incredible.

eviemonkey

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 08, 2012, 09:04:28 PM
Down 4/1 to win a match, any match, is incredible.

Whilst I would expect Donegal to win in the end, that is a seriously generous price.

Donegal are generally not the kind of team that are going to blow a team away. They can dominate games and still not have much to spare on the scoreboard. So it wouldn't take a whole pile for Down to score a couple of goals and give themselves a real chance of winning this one. Not saying they will but that 4/1 is value.

J70

What is the feeling in Donegal if Gallagher can't play, I have said he was a key component in the overall strategy??

They called off a round of championship games this weekend at McGuinness' request.

Gallagher will be a big loss. Been playing very well this year. But that's why you've a squad. We're not talking Michael Murphy or Karl Lacey in terms of being irreplaceable here.

cadence

Quote from: J70 on July 08, 2012, 04:59:41 PM
Its hard to believe the turnaround all right. Ten or eleven of the current first fifteen started in Crossmaglen two years ago. Many of them played against Cork in 2009, although given the power and athleticism of Cork that day and the fact that it was Donegal's fourth week out in a row, I wouldn't hold that game against them TOO much. And then a few would have played in the collapses against Tyrone and Monaghan in 2007. I couldn't see those types of hammerings and surrenders happening to this current team, despite the common personnel. Its all down to McGuinness.

totally, we are so lucky to have him. we are blessed!

tyrone and armagh were awful days. but, out of defeats like those, mcguinness got the gig. although he created the opportunity for himself with his track record, it still took foresight to go with him. it's hard to fully appreciate how good he's been. getting the experienced players to sign up to what he wanted and gradually blooding the younger lads like mcbrearty and mcloone, developing our tactics, when we never really had any before, to a point were they can now change things up and tweak things in games to counterattack what opponents are trying, the man has been awesome.   

+ i really like the way he handles himself in the media. his qualities just shine through. long may he rein. 

cadence

Quote from: J70 on July 08, 2012, 09:55:20 PM

They called off a round of championship games this weekend at McGuinness' request.

Gallagher will be a big loss. Been playing very well this year. But that's why you've a squad. We're not talking Michael Murphy or Karl Lacey in terms of being irreplaceable here.

the bench is a really important part of our game now. another thing that we never had going on before that we do now.

feel for gallagher. all that graft. hopefully he'll make it though.     

stew

Novenas being said for a Donegal win, I hate the thought of the other hoors winning the Ulster, feckin hate the thoughts of it. >:(
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Aristo 60

Quote from: stew on July 08, 2012, 11:20:42 PM
Novenas being said for a Donegal win, I hate the thought of the other hoors winning the Ulster, feckin hate the thoughts of it. >:(

Stew if I were you I'd stick a few hundred on red (and black) - that way you're a winner no matter the result..

rory

Saw a 12th bonfire just off the donegal road in belfast with a down flag on the top. Maybe there are actual donegal fans on the donegal road :)

Aristo 60

Or could there be some sort of mix up involving the "red hands" ?

waitingforsam

Regarding Garvey's Appeal - Did I read yesterdays Irish News correctly......?

It stated that the Down County Board did not submit the fee for lodging an appeal in time??

Was there an admin error here or a lack of funds??

Interesting either way, I would have thought we would be doing all we could to get this overturned...

WFS
Been waiting since '94