GAA Outreach in Action...

Started by Evil Genius, June 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

For the love of Gawd can someone make out a list of who we can commemorate.

The local club want to name a trophy after a fella (RIP) who did sterling work for the club. We're all in agreement. But years ago he robbed the PO in the neighbouring village and shot their labrador. They're up in arms about it. We want to forge ahead as the committee are 100% behind it. We've decided to have a poll in the hut tomorrow.

Who can we commemorate is the theme:

Burglar.
Whore.
Freedom Fighter/Rebel/Terrorist/Murderer (this section has been broken down into year of conviction 1940-1950, 50-60 etc/reason for conviction - attempted murder, murder, stockpiling manure/grave oration)
Wino.
Pyromaniac.
Crooked doctor.
Ordinary man who took secrets to grave.
Tight b**tard in the shop.
Dodgy priest though never proven.
Man who shot a man over land.

Let Galbally do what they want. If parents don't like it - ask for a meeting with club reps and talk it over. If still not satified, head to Kildress or Greencastle, or be happy that your reservations were made known and move on to U14. Until the GAA HQ (congress?) come out and say no commemorations of anyone convicted (or not in many cases - Brigid got away with it for years) of 'terrorist'offences or known to be a member or a paramilitary organisation post 1968 (war heroes allowed) then Galbally can do what they want if it's OK with the vast majority of club members.

Up Sir Roger Casement and his journals.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

On another note as ye may know GAA is not big in Derry City where I'm from but there are a lot of soccer summer tournaments named after local republicans

Pat Harkin (Derry City reserves take part in this)
Bronco Bradley

There is also a huge soccer tournament named after Oscar Traynor.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on June 06, 2012, 11:40:32 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/sunday-life-reveals-sports-bodyrsquos-controverisal-memorials-to-dead-ira-members-in-ulster-14521633.html
Would the Belfast Tele get upset if the Ulster Council did away with all the individual competitions named there and rolled it all into one big Terrorist/Freedom Fighter Supporting Club of the Year? The trophy could be made of the melted bars from a H Block cell and gets awarded accompanied by a volley of shots from a masked colour party. No?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: hardstation on June 06, 2012, 01:40:05 PM
I think that one was from mayogodhelpus.

Mayo's own ground is named after an Archbishop. Castlebar have taken the name Mitchels. Ballina have named their ground in honour of James Stephens. My own club's ground i Dt. Joseph's Park. I don't think he has any issue. Also wasn't Patrick Sarsfield a bit of a murdering general too. 3 clubs in Mayo use him in their name. I''m sure mghu has no problem hs but don't quote me!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

glens abu

I think its great that Galbally have honored a great Gael and Republican like Martin McGaughey who was murdered in cold blood by the SAS.Think more clubs should do likewise as it happened in the past and did the GAA no harm whatsoever.As for all this nonsense regarding reaching out to Rugby players etc;what shall we do next start playing Irelands Call before games.The GAA has a very long and proud tradition that has lasted over 100 years so if it isn't broke don't try and fix it.I played for a club in the 70's and there were 5 Prods on the team who enjoyed the game and respected the GAA even if they didn't agree with everything it stood for.

nifan

Quote from: glens abu on June 07, 2012, 08:41:49 AM
I played for a club in the 70's and there were 5 Prods on the team who enjoyed the game and respected the GAA even if they didn't agree with everything it stood for.

Would they have played in tournaments dedicated to IRA men?
I have plenty of respect for the GAA, and have attended games - but I wouldnt go to a tournament like this.

nrico2006

Not sure if still the case but a few years back the Honorary President of the hurling team in Strabane was Pearse McCauley.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

glens abu

Quote from: nifan on June 07, 2012, 08:51:35 AM
I played for a club in the 70's and there were 5 Prods on the team who enjoyed the game and respected the GAA even if they didn't agree with everything it stood for.

I have plenty of respect for the GAA, and have attended games - but I wouldnt go to a tournament like this.

Don't know answer to that but played with Republicans and with family members of IRA prisoners.

nifan

Quote from: glens abu on June 07, 2012, 09:09:59 AM

Don't know answer to that but played with Republicans and with family members of IRA prisoners.

I would see that as different. They where playing the game, it was not in honour of them.

Feckitt

Hardstation, you have a fan !!!!

You posted a 2 year old link to a Belfast Telegraph article which encourages people to hate the GAA.  Well Willie Frazer has picked it up, and put it on his website.

This was posted in the Telegraph 2 years ago, but on here 2 days ago.  Wullie is trolling this site.  Magic.

I dont think he posts on this site, because you would spot the spelling mistakes and bad grammar a mile off.

glens abu

Quote from: nifan on June 07, 2012, 09:48:42 AM

I would see that as different. They where playing the game, it was not in honour of them.

Well I think they either have to play in it our leave that's up to them,I have friends who play soccer in the Amateur League in Belfast they play for the Border Regiment Cup,some think its great when they win this trophy but i know others who loved winning it as part of their team but afterwards put the medal in the bin because as far as they were concerned the cup was named after a shower of murdering ########. The NIAFL are not going to change the name on the cup because it offends some people. Unionists who wish to play GAA will have to learn to live with things they dislike about the GAA  or just stick to the Rugby.

Hardy

Quote from: Feckitt on June 07, 2012, 10:27:13 AM
I dont think he posts on this site, because you would spot the spelling mistakes and bad grammar a mile off.

Hmmm.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: glens abu on June 07, 2012, 11:11:23 AM
Quote from: nifan on June 07, 2012, 09:48:42 AM

Well I think they either have to play in it our leave that's up to them,I have friends who play soccer in the Amateur League in Belfast they play for the Border Regiment Cup,some think its great when they win this trophy but i know others who loved winning it as part of their team but afterwards put the medal in the bin because as far as they were concerned the cup was named after a shower of murdering ########. The NIAFL are not going to change the name on the cup because it offends some people. Unionists who wish to play GAA will have to learn to live with things they dislike about the GAA  or just stick to the Rugby.

Can you see that the unionist see the IRA, as you have put it 'a shower of murdering ########.' who shot people in the back or when they opened the door?

Do we move on and be positive or do we continue to have grievances with the 'others'

A fair percentage of our (Nordies) wages is paid by the British Government, the same British Government that has murdered innocent civilians over the years. We still take the money and vote during election time for Members of the British Parliament!!

We don't throw the money in the bin when they give us it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea