Mayo - Championship 2012 news and views

Started by From the Bunker, May 03, 2012, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Time to move on from the Cork/Mayo National League thread.

With no real game untill we meet Leitrim or London on June 24. There wont be much of real note happening. The two extra bonus games against top in the League look very valuable now.

The late Garda Robert McCallion will be fondly remembered by family, friends and colleagues on May 6 when Swinford GAA club hosts a challenge match between Mayo and Donegal to mark the rededication of their all-weather pitch.

http://gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0205120909-mayo-to-play-donegal-in-honor-of-garda-robert-mccallion/

Sam2011

Final score in the Donegal v Mayo challenge game- Donegal: 1 14  Mayo: 3 07
The Mayo team was:
Sf Team: Hennelly, Walsh, McHale, O'Reilly, Gardiner(1 1), Boyle, Feeney, Harte(1p 0), B.Moran, Campbell, O'Connor(1 0), Forde, Varley0 3(2f), Freeman(0 1), Doherty
Subs: Kirby(0 1) for Doherty, R. O'Connor for Boyle, Durkan for Forde, C. O'Shea for Campbell, Keane for Gardiner

maigheo

A little surprised to see Kirby's name there as I thought he was heading to the the states for the summer.

moysider

A mixed bag of a performance by Mayo yesterday. The good stuff was good again.

Some of the good stuff was the displays of Walsh and McHale. Players that can be thrown on in the summer. Boyle of course and Peadar played really well until he went off with what looked a serious enough knock to shoulder/ collar bone.

Harte continues his rehabilitation and he looks like he is getting back to full fitness. Barry Moran too looked his best so far this year. Caught a sight of ball and his fitness seems to be coming along. Forde is a quality player and Campbell put in a good shift. Cillian O Connor played chf and his goal was a delight to behold. Freeman showed glimpses of what he can do but is still struggling to get the whole package right. Kirby could be a handful inside.

That s pretty much all the good stuff. When Donegal got interested in the second half they gave us a bit of a chasing and we were stuck on just 4 points up to the hour mark. We worked hard and defensively were well organised but the top third just isn t convincing. And I m not sure it matters so much who we play in the ff line - the result seems to be the same - no result.
No real pace and power. We don t have a forward that can run straight and hard through a gap or a tackle like a Galvin or a Declan O Sullivan. Trying to get an attacking game together will keep management occupied for the next couple of months anyway.

I d like to see the following forwards for the next challenge.

Harte, COC, McLoughlin, Andy, Kirby, Conroy.

From the Bunker

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mano

Is Ronan McGarrity involved this year? Mayo seem to have used a lot of midfielders so far this year O'Shea x 2, Harte, Moran, Gibbons and no sign of McGarrity.

omagh_gael

Isn't he just returning from treatment for testicular cancer (I think). Nearly certain someone mentioned on another thread that he had his 1st run out with the club recently. Good to see him back, always thought he was a great player.

moysider

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 08, 2012, 11:45:43 AM
Isn't he just returning from treatment for testicular cancer (I think). Nearly certain someone mentioned on another thread that he had his 1st run out with the club recently. Good to see him back, always thought he was a great player.

He s attempting a comeback from knee surgery this time. I heard he had to have both knees tidied up. If we got him approaching his best in a couple of months it would be a massive boost. Especially with Harte recovering fitness and form and Aidan O Sé returning hopefully. Barry Moran begining to show better form too. We need their size and options.

mayo.mick

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 07, 2012, 11:39:29 PM
I don't think FtB is MayoMick.

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster. I was pretty chuffed to see yee posting links to my album earlier :)
I know there's another poster under MayoMick, i can assure you all it's not me (mayo.mick) which i use over on mayogaablog.com.
I also have a lot more photos on my album from most of the league matchs this year ( missed donegal & kerry x2 due to an injury which i ended up in hospital)
A few posters & readers will allready know who i am, just wanted to clarify it here.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

From the Bunker

No I'm not MayoMick. Or any psuedo form of him.  :o

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 08, 2012, 11:41:05 PM

No I'm not MayoMick. Or any psuedo form of him.  :o

Maith an fear. Didn t think you were either tbh.

Looks like it s going to be quiet around here for a while.

Syferus

Jesus Christ. Mayo Mick is reproducing by mitosis, the rest of Connacht is doomed  :(