The lack of football in Gaelic Football.

Started by From the Bunker, April 09, 2012, 07:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

With the death of John Egan, who played on the best team (group of players) i ever seen, i decided to have a look on Youtube and get nostalgic. One thing i noticed from this clip is the quick and often use of the Hand-pass. Don't get me wrong the footpassing in the clip is top drawer (when used). You can see the emergence and influence of ball retention through the hand pass. Spillane and quite a few more talk of the lack of Kick passing in the modern game and how a Rugby league 15 could play Football, but with the rule that applied in the late '70's and early '80's maybe the RL side would have had a chance in their time.

Also note the amount of goals scored by the hand, how was it ever allowed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWEU5gn8Q5k

Jinxy

The handpassed goal was the daftest playing rule in the history of the GAA.
Zero skill required.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on April 09, 2012, 07:49:24 PM
Zero skill required.

Yeah, the only worse rule was the hand pass goal in Hurling. Jez, a ball that small, how da sh1te did they expect a goalkeeper to keep it out?

Zulu

The handpassed point is nearly as bad as all scores in football should be kicked if you have control of the ball and the handpass option reduces the amount of goal attempts players make. It's the one rule I would definitely get rid of.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on April 09, 2012, 07:58:46 PM
The handpassed point is nearly as bad as all scores in football should be kicked if you have control of the ball and the handpass option reduces the amount of goal attempts players make. It's the one rule I would definitely get rid of.

Yeah, always felt a hand pass point was a bit of a cheat score, but the volleyed score from hand ok!

tyronefan

Zero skill required.

not as bad as the touchdown goal

From the Bunker

Quote from: tyronefan on April 09, 2012, 08:22:59 PM
Zero skill required.

not as bad as the touchdown goal

Hey, leave Joe Sheridan out of this!  ;)

Rossfan

Handpassed points are illegal and should not be allowed.
It's meant to be fisted.
Our U21s had a point disallowed for not using the fist last Saturday.
What a pity all Refs don't implement this rule ( and all the rest !!!) as some of the "points " scored are no more than throws.
I agree Zulu, only kicked scores from possession , only deflected scores allowed by hand ( and of course no falling over line "goals"  ;D)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Also a lack of Football in American football.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Zulu

Quote from: Rossfan on April 09, 2012, 08:45:10 PM
Handpassed points are illegal and should not be allowed.
It's meant to be fisted.
Our U21s had a point disallowed for not using the fist last Saturday.
What a pity all Refs don't implement this rule ( and all the rest !!!) as some of the "points " scored are no more than throws.
I agree Zulu, only kicked scores from possession , only deflected scores allowed by hand ( and of course no falling over line "goals"  ;D)

Yeah to add salt to the wound, most 'fisted' scores are 'handpassed' a clearly so on most occasions!! I think changing that rule alone would increase the number of goals scored quite noticeably and it would certainly increase the amount of goalmouth action. Anyway, we now have lads fisting points from 20m or more and it adds nothing to the spectacle.

Jinxy

I agree.
I hate to see a player steaming through and he resorts to fisting it over from 20 yards out.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

I have no issue with fisted points. If you've managed to get the ball that close to goal and have procession you deserve the option, it helps mitigate against the crime-scene tape 'we ain't doin nothin to him, ref!' surround defence that's the real scourge of scoring and exciting football.

Zulu

The fisted point is rarely used when players are surrounded, in fact 99% of the time it is used when a player could just as easily kick it. Allowing the option of fisting it over the bar reduces the skill level in the game, reduces goal attempts and reduces excitement levels. It adds nothing to the game and is rarely used because it's the only option available so it isn't a necessary rule.

Hardy

I agree fully about the fisted point. I've never understood why it wasn't outlawed when the handpassed goal was, since it requires even less skill. I suppose it had to do with the fact that it got to the stage where a huge majority of goals were handpassed into the net whereas it never got that bad with points.

Have a look at this to see what an awful abomination the handpassed goal was. How anybody ever thought it was reasonable is hard to understand. (Not picking on Kerry - they just happened to be the pre-eminent team in this misguided era.)

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hardy on April 10, 2012, 04:59:26 PM
I agree fully about the fisted point. I've never understood why it wasn't outlawed when the handpassed goal was, since it requires even less skill. I suppose it had to do with the fact that it got to the stage where a huge majority of goals were handpassed into the net whereas it never got that bad with points.

Have a look at this to see what an awful abomination the handpassed goal was. How anybody ever thought it was reasonable is hard to understand. (Not picking on Kerry - they just happened to be the pre-eminent team in this misguided era.)

Same clip as the begining of the stream.