Páidi O Sé Tournament

Started by Give and Go, February 15, 2012, 09:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Give and Go

Is this the only tournament run in the country that is named after it's living organiser?
Why do the media and politicians fawn over him?
Having played in the event many years ago I immediately came to the conclusion that it was purely a money making racket for his pub in Ceann Trá! The football was not even secondary...
Can the GAA give permission and insurance cover for a tournament seemingly organised by an individual and not by a Club? Are Clubs and players covered?

I squirmed when I heard that he has now named the cup after the great Dermot Early and player of the match after Aengus Fanning. Forgive me for saying it smacks totally of opportunism and looks to me to be purely a promotional stunt. Don't like to see memories of people used in what seems to me to be a cynical fashion.

If this tournament was run by his CLub and for his CLub I would have no issue but it just seems extraordinary that it is billed as an 'individual's personal tournament'.

Am I unfair to the man, who was I recognise a brilliant Kerry footballer and Manager, and a great character too.

AZOffaly

It's true Paidi never met a microhone he didn't like, and he wouldn't be behind the door in self publicity but I don't think it's doing any harm. After all no one forces the partaking clubs to enter, and sure if they use it as a bonding session away in Dingle/Ventry, what harm is it doing?

Croí na hÉireann

How or why are the Longford Arms supporting this? You would think the government would have more to be doing than attending the launch  >:( http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1202155/
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 15, 2012, 11:43:20 AM
How or why are the Longford Arms supporting this? You would think the government would have more to be doing than attending the launch  >:( http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1202155/

Glenn Ryan must be looking over his shoulder :D Paidi should be given a job promoting Ireland, some sort of tourism ambassador.

Give and Go

It raises the question is it organised for personal gain or is it for the club?  Just seems strange arrangement. Can you imagine yourself organising a tournament in your own name?
Nothing wrong with club using a high profile Player to promote but it doesn't look like that to me.

Obviously very good for local econ

Hardy

A stopped clock is right twice a day and sometimes even Páidi makes sense.

Billys Boots

The Longford Arms recently 'lost' the sponsorship of the Longford senior team shirts, to much consternation, apparently.  I imagine this is a (whiplash) reaction to that devastating event.  ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...