Crokes call for segregation!!!

Started by Give and Go, January 26, 2012, 09:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Give and Go

What is going on with our Kerry colleagues? Dr Crokes have requested that supporters be segregated for their All Ireland semi final clash with Crossmaglen Rangers in Portlaoise on Sunday week.
I think this is an outrageous request that goes against the whole ethos of GAA.
A very very small number of our games result in trouble between supporters and the GAA Supporters of all counties and clubs are rightly lauded for their ability to mix freely at games without incident.

This is pure gamesmanship designed to put pressure on their opponents.

The over the top reaction to events at last week's game also reflect poorly on Kerry GAA people. Having looked at the video I can say with confidence that the incident looked much worse than it actually was. I agree fully that the Derrytresk subs and supporters who got over the barrier acted shamefully and deserve the maximum punishment possible under rule and if Gardai have grounds to act they should do so.
But most of what happened was either shoving/pushing or trying to pull lads away.

Dromid haven't helped their cause with their hysterical media comments.

One would think this type of thing never happened in Kerry when the opposite is true. I can recall an incident a few years ago between two neighbouring South Kerry Clubs who are located only a stones throw from Dromid that ended up in a court of law over a vicious assault.

Kerry are rightly considered football purists but they have had their fair share of club incidents down the years and always had a few hatchet men to shore up their back line. If my memory serves me right their great team of the seventies were involved in a running battle v Dublin in New York (?).

AZOffaly

Ridiculous comments from Crokes, but just this :

Quotehis type of thing never happened in Kerry when the opposite is true. I can recall an incident a few years ago between two neighbouring South Kerry Clubs who are located only a stones throw from Dromid that ended up in a court of law over a vicious assault.

The incident you speak of did end up in a court of law, and was thrown out. Also it was between two players, not substitutes or supporters.

I do agree with you regarding the comments in the media though, I think they've played that badly, but they are certainly angry and taken aback at what happened. But there are certainly rows down in Kerry, and bad belts. Probably not as much bad off the ball stuff as elsewhere, and certainly very little, if any trouble on sidelines.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 26, 2012, 09:22:00 AM

Quotehis type of thing never happened in Kerry when the opposite is true. I can recall an incident a few years ago between two neighbouring South Kerry Clubs who are located only a stones throw from Dromid that ended up in a court of law over a vicious assault.

The incident you speak of did end up in a court of law, and was thrown out. Also it was between two players, not substitutes or supporters.

I do agree with you regarding the comments in the media though, I think they've played that badly, but they are certainly angry and taken aback at what happened. But there are certainly rows down in Kerry, and bad belts. Probably not as much bad off the ball stuff as elsewhere, and certainly very little, if any trouble on sidelines.
if I rem correctly there is bad blood between dromid and waterville - if not caherciveen also.
no lack of 'action' when they play each other from what a few waterville lads told me a number of years ago.

AZOffaly

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 26, 2012, 09:42:05 AM

if I rem correctly there is bad blood between dromid and waterville - if not caherciveen also.
no lack of 'action' when they play each other from what a few waterville lads told me a number of years ago.

Only in the normal sense of local rivalry Lynchbhoy. Nothing comparable. I've been at a lot of their games. Waterville is a half parish of Dromid, and there's been player movement between them so they are definitely games with an edge, but that's normal in my experience. We'd have the same with Shannonbridge or Clara in Offaly.

mick999

. Probably not as much bad off the ball stuff as elsewhere, and certainly very little, if any trouble on sidelines.

http://gaakerry.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=all&action=display&thread=89&page=1

THE Munster Colleges' Council is set to investigate the disgraceful scenes that marred the end of an U16½ colleges Gaelic football final between St Brendan's Killarney and Tralee CBS at Austin Stack Park, Tralee.

Brendan's won the game 3-13 to 2-11 to claim the Frewen Cup but as soon as the final whistle was sounded, a number of the Tralee supporters who were in the stand rushed onto the pitch and proceeded in mob-like fashion to attack and kick a number of the Killarney players.

Lone Shark

Very poor form from Crokes here in my opinion. The actions of a few people from once club doesn't suddenly mean that what we saw in Portlaoise last Sunday is going to become commonplace. Mixing of fans and the banter between them is one of the best aspects of Gaelic Games and long may it continue.

Crokes are also opening themselves up for criticism by the fact that they're saying it should happen for this game.

That's a clear and unwarranted insult to Crossmaglen, whereas at least if they were saying it should be done for all matches, including Kerry SFC games, then it would be no less crazy but it would at least be less offensive.

AZOffaly

Fair enough. I'm not saying it has never happened in Kerry, but I've certainly never seen it down there, involving supporters, mentors and subs. But I'm sure it happens the odd time. : Edit, I've read that link now. It's from 2007. I think there was a row down there in 1976 as well. I must check microfiche in the library.

It does happen from time to time all over the country, but it doesn't make any of it right, and the more often piddling suspensions are handed down, the more often it will continue to happen.

sheamy

Shame on Dr Crokes. Absolutely disgraceful. We knew Kerry men were bad losers but never before games.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I hadn't realised that Dr Crokes and Derrytresk were so close, what a masterstroke!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

Really? Do you really believe this?
Kerry football will be under the spotlight in the coming years - lets hope they keep their noses as clean as clean can be. I think the behaviour of both teams on Sunday was plainly out of order and Derrytresk need to take a massive share of that blame for not contolling their bench, but to claim that Kerry football has never ever experienced this kind of thing is just nonsense. I played with many Kerry lads in America and some of the stories they enjoyed regaling certainly contradicts what your purist vision of Kerry football is.
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 26, 2012, 10:32:36 AM

Really? Do you really believe this?
Kerry football will be under the spotlight in the coming years - lets hope they keep their noses as clean as clean can be. I think the behaviour of both teams on Sunday was plainly out of order and Derrytresk need to take a massive share of that blame for not contolling their bench, but to claim that Kerry football has never ever experienced this kind of thing is just nonsense. I played with many Kerry lads in America and some of the stories they enjoyed regaling certainly contradicts what your purist vision of Kerry football is.

I actually do. I played a small bit down there, and I didn't receive half as much off the ball stuff as I did up in Offaly. I'm sure it does happen, but again, I think in general it's not endemic.

As for the supporters lark, I never suggested that it doesn't happen, just that it certainly doesn't happen often, and I have never seen it at any Dromid game, nor heard of it at any Dromid game.

Look, despite their bleating about Kerry purer than pure football, which is obviously nonsense, I do think what happened at the weekend is something that is not common, nor expected down there.

Give and Go

I too have been at Kerry Club games down the years - always an enjoyable experience and by and large games always played in the right spirit.
This week though reflects very poorly on the Kingdom, this whinging to the media is distasteful in the extreme and I must say, as a Leinster man, the attempts to portray Ulster football as the demons of the GAA smacks of petty jealousy.
At inter county level Tyrone have given Kerry a horrid time in recent years while Cross have consistently been head and shoulders about the Kerry Champions.

It has all the sound of begrudgery at the cheek of those northerners to refuse to roll over at the sight of Kerry jerseys. Those days are over.

orangeman

Me thinks that this isn't the silly move that most are making out.

Crokes have a game to win - they probably realise that their best or only chance of winning the game is a shoot out between the 2 forward lines.

So the pressure is now on the GAA and in particular the referee to ensure that the game is a nice, clean, disciplined game of football.

It could well still backfire on Crokes.

Nally Stand

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 26, 2012, 10:08:51 AM
Fair enough. I'm not saying it has never happened in Kerry, but I've certainly never seen it down there, involving supporters, mentors and subs.....

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/gaa-to-probe-attack-on-referee-567497.html

GAA to probe attack on referee

A DARK cloud of violence is hovering over the GAA after loutish Skellig Rangers fans subjected a South Kerry referee to a terrifying ordeal at the weekend. A mob of incensed fans raced onto the pitch following the South Kerry minor championship final which saw Waterville defeat Skellig Rangers by one point.Over 20 fans attacked match referee Michael Curran of Dromid PearsesBy Sinead Kelleher....

....The referee was put through what he described as a 'frightening' ordeal which included being 'kung fu' kicked in the stomach.

....A spokesperson for the South Kerry Board admitted that incidents such as this were becoming more common and that the element of sport is gone is going out of championship matches....

...This is the second incident involving violence against a referee in a week. The referee was also attacked following the East Kerry minor championship semi-final in which Spa defeated Dr Crokes, by a single point. This incident is also being investigated by the East Kerry Board."..
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

AZOffaly

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 26, 2012, 10:42:20 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 26, 2012, 10:08:51 AM
Fair enough. I'm not saying it has never happened in Kerry, but I've certainly never seen it down there, involving supporters, mentors and subs.....

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/gaa-to-probe-attack-on-referee-567497.html

GAA to probe attack on referee

A DARK cloud of violence is hovering over the GAA after loutish Skellig Rangers fans subjected a South Kerry referee to a terrifying ordeal at the weekend. A mob of incensed fans raced onto the pitch following the South Kerry minor championship final which saw Waterville defeat Skellig Rangers by one point.Over 20 fans attacked match referee Michael Curran of Dromid PearsesBy Sinead Kelleher....

....The referee was put through what he described as a 'frightening' ordeal which included being 'kung f*' kicked in the stomach.

....A spokesperson for the South Kerry Board admitted that incidents such as this were becoming more common and that the element of sport is gone is going out of championship matches....

...This is the second incident involving violence against a referee in a week. The referee was also attacked following the East Kerry minor championship semi-final in which Spa defeated Dr Crokes, by a single point. This incident is also being investigated by the East Kerry Board."..

I don't understand what you are trying to say. I never saw that minor game in 2006. I've already said it happens from time to time, but I've never seen it down there. Am I supposed to go digging for episodes involving Tyrone Clubs or something? What's the point in that?

I am saying that this is NOT a common occurence, that I've never seen it in Kerry, and it is not surprising to me that the people directly involved are taken aback by it.