US Presidential Election 2012

Started by thejuice, January 03, 2012, 12:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

Why is Garret Fitzgerald lighting that bonfire?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 11, 2012, 05:10:28 PM
Why is Garret Fitzgerald lighting that bonfire?

Because Newt has a gun stuck in his back.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on January 11, 2012, 04:50:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 11, 2012, 03:26:37 PM
Quote from: ExcellentDriver on January 11, 2012, 03:03:56 PM
The GOP have just gifted the 2012 Election to Vladimir Obama! The Voters in the Primaries are too easily swayed by the Corporate Media!

What is the "corporate media"? And who should the GOP be nominating to beat the commie, muslim kenyan?

1. The 'Corporate Media' is the mainstream Media Outlets which blatantly ignore the candidate that is planning to upset the Status Quo (in this case Ron Paul).

2. Obama also has Jewish Blood in him. The First Lady has a Cousin who is a Rabbi at Downtown Chicago!

3. Obama (through his White Mother) shares the same 'Bloodline of Power' as George W Bush, Sarah Palin and the UK Queen.

Righto. :D

whiskeysteve

Have to say Ron Pauls statements on the economy are impressive and a breath of fresh air. He can't win the presidency and is an old man but I hope his economic message is listened and taken on board ahead of the economic collapse and remembered when the US rebuilds

It is hard not to be very cynical about US politics but I admire the honesty and consistency of his principles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IwwXgPiySto
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

thejuice

I agree with Dr. Paul's diagnosis but the medicine he prescribes is a bit too severe and  I'm not 100% sure his supporters realise the side-effects.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

deiseach

Quote from: whiskeysteve on January 17, 2012, 12:51:08 AM
Have to say Ron Pauls statements on the economy are impressive and a breath of fresh air. He can't win the presidency and is an old man but I hope his economic message is listened and taken on board ahead of the economic collapse and remembered when the US rebuilds

It is hard not to be very cynical about US politics but I admire the honesty and consistency of his principles.

Bringing back the gold standard would be the ruination of us all. Paul Krugman wrote an article back in 1996 detailing the folly of such a policy, but this is the money (pun unintended) quote:

QuoteThe United States abandoned its policy of stabilizing gold prices back in 1971. Since then the price of gold has increased roughly tenfold, while consumer prices have increased about 250 percent. If we had tried to keep the price of gold from rising, this would have required a massive decline in the prices of practically everything else--deflation on a scale not seen since the Depression. This doesn't sound like a particularly good idea.

thejuice

A bit of Max Kaiser on Ron Paul and that there is actually a generation war as well as a class war.

http://youtu.be/PpEuzBmfH3g

Max seems to look on Ron Paul as a painful but nessesary step. And he may well be right. After all, what the f**k are Obama or Romney going to do that will solve anything?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

whiskeysteve

Quote from: deiseach on January 17, 2012, 10:43:52 AM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on January 17, 2012, 12:51:08 AM

Bringing back the gold standard would be the ruination of us all. Paul Krugman wrote an article back in 1996 detailing the folly of such a policy, but this is the money (pun unintended) quote:

QuoteThe United States abandoned its policy of stabilizing gold prices back in 1971. Since then the price of gold has increased roughly tenfold, while consumer prices have increased about 250 percent. If we had tried to keep the price of gold from rising, this would have required a massive decline in the prices of practically everything else--deflation on a scale not seen since the Depression. This doesn't sound like a particularly good idea.

I mentioned Ron Pauls principles on the economy in the light of rebuilding the US economy.

I have very little faith in the US being able to avert themselves from long term economic disaster. By the time there is enough political pressure in Washington to take a Ron Paul level of decision it will be far, far too late.

There are 2 important aspects of currency destruction. 1. No fiat currency backed by nothing has ever survived in the past. 2. The pace of currency destruction is exponential - its acceleration takes it from a speed of decades to years to months to days. There is a very good video presentation by Chris Martenson on youtube that stresses this point.

The financial powers that run the US (the fed and the major banks) have shown no willingness to tackle political problems until they are a quarter of so away, the debt ceiling farce last year would be a case in point. The very rich men at the top will milk the dying system for all it is worth, set up a scapegoat and slip into the background perhaps a year before the shit hits the fan (ie too late to stop disaster except by causing another disaster).

The way I see it we either have a mass debt default (and the major banks pulling an MF Global on thier customer deposits) or hyperinflation. Either way we have the LA riots nationwide.

After the destruction of the dollar (in its current form) the basic principle will be to tie the new dollar to something tangible - this doesnt have to be gold. After the hyperinflation in Germany post WW1 they replaced the DMark with the Rentenmark. they didnt have sufficient gold so they used mortgaged land and industrial assets to back it. It was effectively a success.

Im not seeing this is the answer but some form of hard currency is needed and Ron Paul is the candidate within an arses roar of facing up to facts.

Anyway I don't see the destruction of fiat currency as a question of choice here, more of a matter of time.

I am a very optimistic guy  ;D
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

thejuice

give her dixie

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

thejuice

Can someone explain the delegates and how they have a bearing on the Republican nominee. It seems its not just about winning states its winning delegates that matters.

And who is winning on that count?

J70

Ronmey's winning the delegate count. Some states distribute them in proportion to vote share. Others have winner take all (I think that's also the case for the GOP). I'm assuming the total number available is based on population. Democrats also have superdelegates, but I don't think the Republicans do. At this stage, only Ronmey can realistically win the nomination via the delegate count.

dec

Public Policy Polling . March 17-18. Illinois likely Republican primary voters. ±4.4%.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_IL_318.pdf

Do you think Barack Obama is a Christian or a Muslim, or are you not sure?
    Christian: 24
    Muslim: 39
    Not sure: 37

Do you think Barack Obama was born in the United States, or not?
    Was born in U.S.: 36
    Not born in U.S.: 36
    Not sure: 28

Do you believe in evolution, or not?
    Believe in evolution: 41
    Do not: 43
    Not sure: 16

Rossfan

There should have been further question  -
Do you believe the Earth is :
Flat
Round