The Financial State Of Down

Started by thegael, March 15, 2007, 01:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Hedgehog

What is the story here? How do you know the county is in a bad way financially? Has it been reported in the media? I haven't seen or heard any thing.
Knowledge only brings fear.

5 Sams

QuoteFergal would actually be the right man for the job. Not only is he a very successful Accountant but he is a keen Down man as well.

While I know nothing about the state of the finances in the county....I DO know that getting our last Secretary's brother to do a financial investigation wouldn't be a runner.
The Aristocrat Years

thegael

The Gael has been saying a total independent group of experts to find out why we are in this mess and to prevent it ever happening again!

This report should be compiled before any moves are made on Newcastle and a County training base like Derry's Owenbeg and to make sure we have procedures and checks in place to prevent more money fritterring away.

Aristotle Flynn

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

thegael

It is of utmost importance to get to the reason why money is so easily wasted and we are in such a dire position.

It is serious money and needs to be controlled by professionals and assessed by these people, when I say controlled I mean there are procedures and checks in place that some kind of Knights of Columbanus types don't have carte blanche over the funds- who is watching these people?

This is to ensure we are not returned to this position if the Co Board takes the saxon shilling from a multiple  like"Tesco" to more financiial pressure after that money is wasted away without checks and procedures in place.It says a lot about the forward thinking of our Co Board that it  is considering  forsaking an urban area like Newcastle when we as an organisation are trying to capture the attention of our youth - absolutely no foresight there.The  GAA should be making statements of intent in urban areas not running  away - selling the family silver.

thegael

I will say yes in the short term but long term - no.

Sure it'll be worth more in 10 years.

You don't sell the family silver.

What has been done by the Co Board to find out why we are in such a position, what alternatives have been sought as a means to purchasing a training/ centre of excellence( like Derry's Owenbeg)??

Lazy way out - sell Newcastle.

But the main issue is why we are in such a mess, we need a proffessional appraisal of our spending and checks and procedures put in place to prevent an inner circle dictating contracts etc...(watch the Knights)

downredblack

I think the myth of fortress Newcastle has well and truly been put to rest and as for the pitch . Sell her on while the property tide is high and make a killing on it . If the county finances are as bad as people are saying this is the only lifeline we have .

thegael

Why are we in this position?

This question needs answered and what has been done to look at other options ?

In Derry was Ballinascreen or Celtic Park sold?

Before we even get to position of selling we need to look at the whole picture- why?how? and what checks and procedures we can put in place to prevent it happenning again - it is not as if  the county board is coming down with successful business people who are very financial astute - the position we are in now answers that!!

hobnob1

can anyone actually say how much they are in debt? instead of waffling on about silverware and a shite pitch in newcastle

Pangurban

Dont expect to receive any facts or figures from The Gael Hob-Nob, he only deals in smear and innuendo