Electrical wiring and building regulations

Started by Hardy, October 20, 2011, 10:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Does anybody know the score on this?

My nephew has renovated and extended the old homestead, including rewiring the old part and of course wiring the new part. Before the ESB will connect, he has to get a certificate of conformance from a RECI-approved inspector.

Somebody in passing remarked that his light switches and sockets will not pass inspection because they are now required to be below a maximum height (1.2M) for switches and above a minimum height (0.5M, I think) for sockets. This is for disabled access.

Is this an actual regulation or just a recommendation? And is it an ETCI requirement/recommendation for electrical approval or a Dept. of Environment requirement/recommendation for building regulations? In short, does anybody know if the RECI inspection will fail because of this?

I've googled around and I can't find anything definitive. The ETCI mention in a FAQ somewhere that the Dept. Of The Environemnt has directed that ... switches be at a certain height. However, the Department's Building Regulations only say that they "should" (not must) meet this height spec. Various forums suggest this may only apply to houses built specifically for disabled access, etc.

Does anyone know the proper story?

Tony Baloney

Where is the board electrician when you need him?!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 20, 2011, 10:58:41 PM
Where is the board electrician when you need him?!

Checking his installation regulations!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Shamrock Shore

Laoislad must be on the way to Libya for opportunities....

AQMP

This probably won't help Hardy but in the North this is the case for new builds.  Our "new" 2003 house has the low switches/high sockets palaver.  The downstairs loo door and the back fire door have to be wider than standard as well.  Also you can't have a step at the front or back door of a certain height unless it is ramped for a wheelchair.  We had to put in temporary wooden ramps and then we removed them after the Building Control Cert was issued but if we ever sell the house we'll have to put the ramps back.  It will soon be a requirement that one of you family must be disabled!!

I'd hazard a guess that it depends whether the work is considered a refurb or new work.  But your boy might be caught.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AQMP on October 20, 2011, 11:33:24 PM
This probably won't help Hardy but in the North this is the case for new builds.  Our "new" 2003 house has the low switches/high sockets palaver.  The downstairs loo door and the back fire door have to be wider than standard as well.  Also you can't have a step at the front or back door of a certain height unless it is ramped for a wheelchair.  We had to put in temporary wooden ramps and then we removed them after the Building Control Cert was issued but if we ever sell the house we'll have to put the ramps back.  It will soon be a requirement that one of you family must be disabled!!

I'd hazard a guess that it depends whether the work is considered a refurb or new work.  But your boy might be caught.
I think in most new builds all doors are 750mm+ to facilitate wheelchair access rather than having a wider door for downstairs toilet. Ours are certainly all the same width.

All sockets and switches in new builds in the north need to be between 450mm and 1200mm so would imagine in the case above it is a "must" rather than a "should".

Hardy

I meant to say thanks for the responses. I got some good advice by PM from a couple of lads.

Bottom line is that for new builds and substantial extensions these height restrictions apply and are being enforced in inspections.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on October 25, 2011, 04:56:47 PM
I meant to say thanks for the responses. I got some good advice by PM from a couple of lads.

Bottom line is that for new builds and substantial extensions these height restrictions apply and are being enforced in inspections.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

By whom?

Let me guess................

Tom Parlon's Construction Federation?
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

By a quango called ETCI. The job of Tom and his CIF is to get around the ETCI. I don't know how successful they are (though if Donabate is anything to go by ...) But domestic consumers don't get much rope, from what I've been told by those who know. When was it ever different? Maybe if I knew a TD ...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hardy on October 25, 2011, 07:02:49 PM
By a quango called ETCI. The job of Tom and his CIF is to get around the ETCI. I don't know how successful they are (though if Donabate is anything to go by ...) But domestic consumers don't get much rope, from what I've been told by those who know. When was it ever different? Maybe if I knew a TD ...
Or you could follow the building regs. Just a thought ;)

muppet

50,000 houses are falling down due to pyrite. Buyers had to insure with the Construction Federation's Homebond. Neither the Construction Federation nor Homebond accept any responsibility and their customers face financial ruin for someone else's incompetence. Back to the inspectors, tell me how that worked again. Tom ne parlons pas on this issue apparently.

But Tom Parlon wants the Government to invest €2bn a year for the next 3 years in construction supervised by a Qango of which his Federation will be a member.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/1024/1224306385694.html
MWWSI 2017

comethekingdom

Quote from: muppet on October 25, 2011, 07:15:20 PM

50,000 houses are falling down due to pyrite. Buyers had to insure with the Construction Federation's Homebond. Neither the Construction Federation nor Homebond accept any responsibility and their customers face financial ruin for someone else's incompetence. Back to the inspectors, tell me how that worked again. Tom ne parlons pas on this issue apparently.

But Tom Parlon wants the Government to invest €2bn a year for the next 3 years in construction supervised by a Qango of which his Federation will be a member.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/1024/1224306385694.html
That Tom Parlon would make you sick! Can't like him!

the waffler

NOT SURE IN THE SOUTH BUT THE HIEGHTS SHOULD ONLY APPLY TO THE NEW PART AND WILL CONCERN BUILDING CONTROL NOT THE ESB

Hardy

They do apply only to the new part, but in this case, the new part is fairly substantial in this case. Down here, I'm told by someone who performs inspections for ETCI that the height restrictions are a requirement for the issue of a certificate of compliance with the electrical standards, without which the ESB won't connect.

AQMP

So Hardy, is your nephew fecked here?  Does he have to re-do the electrics, which would be a right royal pain in the arse?