31 counties supporting Dublin??

Started by BennyCake, September 13, 2011, 12:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc_grens

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 13, 2011, 09:15:16 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 13, 2011, 01:11:13 AM
I'm hoping that Kerry decide that they are sick of winning Sam and let Mayo play instead.

I'm sure Dublin would prfer that too!  :D

Personaly would prefer to see Kerry win. I prefer their style of football and believe they have a more natural flow about how they play the game. Also the whole "the GAA needs a Dubline win" shit sickens my hole so I'd love to see it shoved down the hacks throats!

+1

Dublin haven't won Sam since 1995, and the GAA has been doing just fine. I understand that competition for young players, but with all due respect- that's Dublin's problem. All counties are having the same issue, and a Dublin win will do nothing to solve that.

liihb

So Screen you don't like the Dubs because they train hard and take supplements even though
QuoteMost half decent Club teams are at it

So do you only support clubs that are not half decent?

Do you think the Kerry lads do no training at all no?

Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: screenexile on September 13, 2011, 09:23:22 AM
[So you don't like the idea of teams training then screen?

Nothing to do with teams training. I very much believe in the amateur ethos of the game and I just think things have gotten carried away recently. Lads have to train for Dublin first thing in the morning, go to work then come home and train for Dublin some more. The days they aren't collectively training they're probably expected to do a gym session as well.

You have to be kidding me about the Dublin team taking supplements also. Most half decent Club teams are at it and the shape those lads are in there is no way they are not taking supplements and heavily watching what they eat.

I'm worried that the fun is being sucked out of the game with this sort of craic. I don't see how that can be enjoyable at all. I would hate to see Club teams start going down that route and lads losing huge chunks of their lives for a championship that only one team a year can win.

Just an opinion really and I'm sure many disagree with it but that's the reason why I would like Kerry to win.

The 6am training sessions are done INSTEAD of the evening sessions. This is mainly a player driven thing to break monotony and give players some evening time off. Its viable because Dublin is a geographically small county.

If every half decent club team are taking supplements why di you have a problem with Dublin taking them?

Seems to me you just don't like the Dubs and that is your right or maybe even your birthright. But don't be trying to justify it with half arsed reasons

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on September 13, 2011, 08:03:40 AM
Quote from: screenexile on September 13, 2011, 12:38:09 AM
I'm with Kerry also ... I don't like this 6am training, horsing supplements and hitting the gym mentality that will prevail should the Dubs win.

I think that Kerry have the better footballers and they will win. Regardless of the fact KM thinks all of Nordieland are against them!

So you don't like the idea of teams training then screen?

I'm with the dubs as are most people I've spoken to.

Nothing to do with teams training. I very much believe in the amateur ethos of the game and I just think things have gotten carried away recently. Lads have to train for Dublin first thing in the morning, go to work then come home and train for Dublin some more. The days they aren't collectively training they're probably expected to do a gym session as well.

You have to be kidding me about the Dublin team taking supplements also. Most half decent Club teams are at it and the shape those lads are in there is no way they are not taking supplements and heavily watching what they eat.

I'm worried that the fun is being sucked out of the game with this sort of craic. I don't see how that can be enjoyable at all. I would hate to see Club teams start going down that route and lads losing huge chunks of their lives for a championship that only one team a year can win.

Just an opinion really and I'm sure many disagree with it but that's the reason why I would like Kerry to win.

I think you're getting your wires crossed Screen.

Dublin trained twice daily in January two days a week - Dublin did no more collective or gym sessions than any other serious county so you can scratch that off your list as to why you'd prefer to see Kerry beat us.

The Dublin team don't take supplements - 'watching what they eat' is a seperate issue entirely and the Dublin team like every other half decent setup has a nutrionialist.

Regarding your comment about the fun being sapped out of IC games - are you living in a time warp where team preparation is a couple of laps of the field and lads off the drink since the Tuesday? Dublin have done no more training than Kerry this year.

heffo

Quote from: mc_grens on September 13, 2011, 09:37:15 AM
I'm hoping that Kerry decide that they are sick of winning Sam and let Mayo play instead.

Personaly would prefer to see Kerry win. I prefer their style of football and believe they have a more natural flow about how they play the game. Also the whole "the GAA needs a Dubline win" shit sickens my hole so I'd love to see it shoved down the hacks throats!

I understand that competition for young players, but with all due respect- that's Dublin's problem. All counties are having the same issue, and a Dublin win will do nothing to solve that.

Here was me thinking that the primary ethos of the GAA was the promotion of Gaelic Games - here we have the biggest 'market' and Dublin winning would do nothing to promote GAA in Dublin. Thanks for clearing that up.

lynchbhoy

I first saw the 6.30am sessions when the fitzgibbon team in my college started doing this three times a week. Colm Bonnar the coach back then. It was 1987.
So not sure if he was copying his home county early morning sessions or it was just something he implemented. Either way, not every student was living in Waterford and thus some had to travel v early from Wexford town, Dungarvan area and mid Tipp  or Kilkenny to attend this training.

I think a Dublin win would really capture the imagination of the kids of the capital , suburban and dormitory areas. With soccer and the Irish team on its last faltering legs and with an Irish disaster about to happen in the rugby world cup - this is perfect timing for Gaa in Dublin.
If not indeed the surrounding areas of Leinster.
While I like soccer and rugby, my first allegience is to Gaelic games and right now with the international sides being crap - the youth need a sporting 'hero' and this 'hero' filling the void can be Dublin.
Thats why the Dubs have my support - plus there are a lot of genuinely nice lads on the team and indeed the panel ! (I am sure there are on the Kerry side also).
Up the Dubs !!

Olly

I would like to see the Dublin win. They are a very cosmopolitan city and will accept all tastes and creeds. I had a mate who went to Kerry and he was not as you would call straight. He went to a bar in Dingle with his BF and had to leave after an hour because of the looks he was getting. His only crime was a cuddle and a yellow sweater tied around his neck. In my opinion Kerry people are not fully emotionally developed. Paul Galvin is a fish out of water down there.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

mc_grens

Quote from: heffo on September 13, 2011, 09:57:28 AM

I understand that competition for young players, but with all due respect- that's Dublin's problem. All counties are having the same issue, and a Dublin win will do nothing to solve that.

Here was me thinking that the primary ethos of the GAA was the promotion of Gaelic Games - here we have the biggest 'market' and Dublin winning would do nothing to promote GAA in Dublin. Thanks for clearing that up.

Dublin winning would do nothing to promote Gaelic games in the other 31 "markets" was the point I was making. It would help Dublin for sure, but the majority would not benefit greatly from a Dublin win. Therefore the GAA does not "need" a Dublin win.

heffo

Quote from: mc_grens on September 13, 2011, 10:14:10 AM

Dublin winning would do nothing to promote Gaelic games in the other 31 "markets" was the point I was making. It would help Dublin for sure, but the majority would not benefit greatly from a Dublin win. Therefore the GAA does not "need" a Dublin win.

The GAA is the sum of it's parts. The more people playing the better.

Aside from that obvious point, the only person who said that Dublin winning would be good for the GAA was Colm O'Rourke.

lynchbhoy

only financially it would help the GAA in general.
What could happen is that Dublin could rise to become a superpower. In football and hurling.
then the GAA would split the side up to become three new counties to smash this dominance !

though you could say that Dublin winning would give even greater motivation to more or less any team playing the Dubs (though they are motivated enough playing them as it is !!).
this would lead to more intensive football and could counteract any potential domnination by Dublin !!
I cant see any of these scenarios as being bad !
In all of them, the money from gate receipts would rise - as well as from merchandising (Dublin gear at least)

mc_grens

Quote from: heffo on September 13, 2011, 10:17:59 AM

Aside from that obvious point, the only person who said that Dublin winning would be good for the GAA was Colm O'Rourke.

Lad I've been living in Dublin for 11 years and if I'd a penny for every time a Dub told me that the GAA needs a Dublin win I'd be a happy man. I do agree that it'll be financially beneficial (mainly because we might see the Dubs go back to filling croke park in the early rounds again), but outside that I font see the benefit for the GAA outside Dublin.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: heffo on September 13, 2011, 10:17:59 AM

Heffo it is trotted out regulalry by Dublin based media heads.  I could be wrong but Dublin GAA is thriving.  They have massive involvement at underage levels and this is showing with the amount of Dublin teams winning consistently at both hurling and football.  They do have big competition from Rugby and soccer but no more so than say the likes of Cork, Limerick and Galway.  As mcgrens says Dublin GAA needs an AI win as lets face it it will not really generate more money for the wider GAA circle apart from the sale of Dublin jersies (which, let's face it are pretty high already, Mrs BC, who wouldn't even wear a Cross T-Shirt barely to one of my games was wearing a Dublin jersies the other day as "it looked nice" :o)  An ANtrim win in hurling or a Galway win, or a Limerick win would do more for the GAA than a win for Dublin as it would show the counties who might have the talent but maybe not the structures that ot can be done.  Actually Dublin winning Liam would be better than Dublin winning Sam!

lynchbhoy

holding what we already have isnt progress - in relation to already strong Gaa areas in Dublin.
We want to use the nose dive in the national teams currrent standings in the other sports to fill the void for these young bandwagon jumpers.
Sure when they get older, have gone to college/out to work - aren't they going to migrate down to the rest of lenister dormitory towns or up in south armag and along the border areas where they will be big job initiatives after the reunification etc !!
These 'converts' will be the fellas (assistant) coaching the under 10's .
thats the wealth of new GAA people that such a Dubs victory could bring after next Sunday !
We , the GAA, always look to the future - not just victorious club teams right now !!
;)

sheamy

I very much believe in the amateur ethos of the game and I just think things have gotten carried away recently.

This is one of the most spot on observations I seen on here in a long time. Let's face it, being involved with the GAA now at any kind of level is nearly a full time job. In alot of ways we've all become so competitive in every aspect of what we do, both at club and county level, that the fun is gone out of it in alot of cases with people not always doing it for the right reasons. This is more of a personal observation than any kind of point.