Irish Travellers arrested on slavery charges

Started by Tubberman, September 11, 2011, 07:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

In terms of ethnicity, what is the origin of the traveller ? I've heard different versions some that they go back to the dawn of time another that they were people displaced during the famine and just kept on the road.

boojangles

EC Unique

Quote from: boojangles on September 12, 2011, 11:59:36 AM
The minority of travellers are decent.

Any I have experienced are up to no good. Always on the look out for what they can steel or else on the scrounge. Good for nothing and any time they come about our area they are 'moved on' and rightly so.

I have yet to meet any of this minority.

ziggysego

This thread is sickening. Irish Travellers are a specific race and you lot are being racist. Would you paint the same picture about another race? No, but it's acceptable in this case.

Shame on you all.
Testing Accessibility

EC Unique

Quote from: ziggysego on September 12, 2011, 01:08:14 PM
This thread is sickening. Irish Travellers are a specific race and you lot are being racist. Would you paint the same picture about another race? No, but it's acceptable in this case.

Shame on you all.

I know you always like to take the moral high ground Ziggy but people can only speak from their own experiences. All of my experiences with 'Travellers' have been negative. And the negativity is always due to them being up to some sort of no good.

deiseach

Quote from: Tubberman on September 11, 2011, 07:26:00 PM
What defence will be trotted out this time? Can this be part of their culture as well?

I don't know. What defences have been trotted out this time?

tommysmith

Quote from: EC Unique on September 12, 2011, 01:24:24 PM

Shame on you all.

I know you always like to take the moral high ground Ziggy but people can only speak from their own experiences. All of my experiences with 'Travellers' have been negative. And the negativity is always due to them being up to some sort of no good.

They are never up to any good.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Shame on you all.

Aside from the rest of the argument, which I am going to stay away from with a barge pole. I for the life of me cannot understand how they are a different race, they are just Irish people who refuse to live in a permanent form of accommodation. Not a race or even a different ethnicity. Ziggy they may be being bigoted (not saying either way) but they are not being racist.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

boojangles

Quote from: EC Unique on September 12, 2011, 12:58:17 PM
Quote from: boojangles on September 12, 2011, 11:59:36 AM
The minority of travellers are decent.

Any I have experienced are up to no good. Always on the look out for what they can steel or else on the scrounge. Good for nothing and any time they come about our area they are 'moved on' and rightly so.

I have yet to meet any of this minority.

Tongue in cheek EC.  :P
From my own experiences, for every decent traveller there are 20 wrong ones. As everybody else alludes to on the thread, you can only base your opinions on your experiences. And I have nothing but bad ones.

vertigonights

There not a different race there a different breed! we talk, they bark!

ONeill

Over the last twelve years I probably have taught over 1000 pupils in some form or another. Two really stand out for their impeccible manners and moral attitude beyond their age. Both were from the travelling community.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

laoislad

A Traveller named Pa Connors gets work at a sporting-goods shop.

The boss is with him on the first day.

A customer comes in looking for a tennis racket. The boss asks "is that for clay, grass, or tarmac?"

The customer tells the boss what he wants and buys the proper racket.

"That's easy,I have the hang of it now" says Pa so the boss lets him work alone.

A customer comes in soon after and says..."Would ya have a baseball bat?"

"Is that for a wedding or a funeral you want it?" asks Pa.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

A Guard picks up a nurse one night in Copper Face Jacks, he takes her home and shags her.
The cop was kind enough to drop her home next morning....

Passing a halting site in Finglas the nurse says "You can just drop me here" ..
"Yea lying little bitch" said the Guard "You told me you were a nurse"...

"No" she says, "I told you I was one of the Ward sisters".....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on September 12, 2011, 06:39:45 PM
Over the last twelve years I probably have taught over 1000 pupils in some form or another. Two really stand out for their impeccible manners and moral attitude beyond their age. Both were from the travelling community.
The other 998 must have been some boys. Did you get a nice bit of carpet at Christmas?

cadence

it's a regular scam over here if you're in the know. those involved in it have been known to prey on the destitute and vulnerable: those with mental health problems or immigrants struggling to find a job and get a foothold. promises of work and big money. homeless hostels are targetted mainly to get what they want. staff working in hostels have been told to be on the lookout for it.