australia

Started by lawnseed, September 11, 2011, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

employment minister has made another 150,000 visas available to ireland says he want the jobs filled 'NOW'

do your degree.. run up a huge debt.. then fek off
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Gold

Quote from: lawnseed on September 11, 2011, 06:29:15 PM
employment minister has made another 150,000 visas available to ireland says he want the jobs filled 'NOW'

Explain that bit for me please?!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Forever Green

What is the craic with Australia? Heard it is brilliant money, even for labour work. Do you need many qualifications to get into the country? It has me interested, completely fed up over here

Overthebar!

If you are looking to go would you be wiser having a job lined up or just find one when out there?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

That would be for the lads in the U.K. (6 counties) with their student loan system, but if its Visas for Ireland it would probably means the 26 counties. The lads living in the 6 with a passport for the 26 might be able to do this.

Australia is a wonderful country.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lawnseed

Quote from: Gold on September 11, 2011, 07:52:32 PM

Explain that bit for me please?!
as above

illdecide

Lawnseed do you have a link about visa's and jobs etc...seriously interested but 2 kids is holding me back
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lawnseed

Quote from: illdecide on September 11, 2011, 11:06:57 PM

Lawnseed do you have a link about visa's and jobs etc...seriously interested but 2 kids is holding me back
dont have a link heard it on rte about a week ago. it sounds brilliant you have to be between 18 and 45 i remember that bit. i know alot of lads from around me have gone there by all accounts they are getting on well. you could go out then send for the kids later. the brother in law says there a huge sign on the road to where he works 'site for new town population 150,000' theres nothing there yet maybe that where they're gonna put all the paddys

SLIGONIAN

I am going back to college in LIT to finish my degree 1yr and then im heading to OZ prob around july/aug in 2012 long term, will it still be booming? I have 6 yrs QS experience and all going well a hons degree...
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

HeaveHo

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 11, 2011, 08:57:39 PM

...and then leave others, either taxpayers or bank customers, to pick up the tab.  ::)

Australia has a big production boom at the moment - it's natural resources are in big demand from the likes of China. Work in the outback is also well paid though it involves long hours, oppressive conditions (45c heat in some cases with no air conditioning) and basically living on-base on a schedule of something like three weeks on, one week off. The large wages are also subject to high income tax (50% in the top bracket) though if you're not planning on staying in Australia permanently you should be able to claim some of it back from you Tax File Number when you leave the country.

Australia is a beautiful country, good weather in most of the main population centres, friendly people (as long as you're white and speak good English, especially outside the capitals) and good public transport links with a strong cultural emphasis on sport if you're into that type of thing, but the cost of living can be expensive especially in Sydney and Melbourne - the high value of the Australian dollar right now is covering up the costs of many imports. Also it is a long way from home, and if homesickness bites hard you simply can't just be back home in a few hours - you'll have at least one stop over and some 24 to 30 hours of flying to go through not to mention the cost of the flights themselves.

A lot of BS in that summary.

Most resource jobs are in remote areas and are fly in fly out basis. Three weeks on and one off is not the norm - usually it is two on and one off. Even if it is 3 and 1 it works out to be 18 days on and 10 days off with weekends (fly out Friday night and fly back Monday morning). If you are a FIFO worker everything is provided including airconditioned premises, all meals etc. Some of the accommodation is basic but you cannot expect five star hotels with butlers in the middle of the outback miles from anywhere. The cleaners make $120,000 per annum and it goes up from there - it is not unusual for top tradesman to be on $1,200 per day. Engineers with appropriate experience routinely make $250,000 plus. In Western Australia all FIFO workers were previously based in Perth - now there are flights from Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney to places lilke Port Hedland and Karratha. Some workers base themselves in Bali or Thailand (flights can be tricky).

No individual or corporate entity pays 50% tax rate in Australia - the tax rates are as follows. Note the system is a marginal rate system - you only pay the higher rate on income above a certain threshold. The rates are as follows -

Taxable income
Tax on this income

0 - $6,000
Nil

$6,001 - $37,000
15c for each $1 over $6,000

$37,001 - $80,000
$4,650 plus 30c for each $1 over $37,000

$80,001 - $180,000
$17,550 plus 37c for each $1 over $80,000

$180,001 and over
$54,550 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

There are a lot of jobs for remote areas but there is also a lot of jobs in major towns depending on your skill. There is a long list of professions with critical shortages - if you have those skills you will find it easy to get a job.

swing-er-over

would anyone be able to give an idea of the certain jobs that are currently in demand.....from what ive heard a lot of it appears to be in construction and property? in particular tradesmen, QS's and general surveyors.Also is it recruitment agencies that  are the best way to go about finding work ib your given profession once arriving in the country..?

muppet

There are shortages in the following areas:

Expert tractor reversers
Former Taoiseach
Mucksavage tamers
Nottingham Forest supporter (only 1 needed)
Current Taoiseach
Neoconimists (ideally with tenuous Tyrone connections)
Sports Forum moderator (with Quantum qualifications)
1 Arse (preferably a hardy one)
Future Taoiseach
I minority group preferably with own culture  (NB: a real culture NOT Ulster Scots!)

MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on September 12, 2011, 10:10:15 PM
There are shortages in the following areas:

I minority group preferably with own culture  (NB: a real culture NOT Ulster Scots!)

On that bridge in Melbourne with the origins of Australians by country and where they came for, the list some of the Scottish as coming from Ulster, in a Colonial Commonwealth mindset they have presumed all those that immigrated from the 9 counties of Ulster were actually Scottish. Ulster appears as the only non-real country on the origins of certain ethnicities, really irritated me walking past it every day to work when I lived down there.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lawnseed

35 to 55 dollars per hour for driving a tractor. ad in farmweek. little do they know the guys who read farmweek would drive a tractor for nothing. ::) yeeha keep her lit bertie.. and all that- dont know if you can get hugo in oz though

Milltown Row2

My wee brother is over there on a years working visa, in Sydney and has got a bricklaying job and already sponsored with the firm. He hadn't been working over here properly for two years and decided to head over. I hope it works out well for him and he stays, though i miss him, it will be better for him  :(

There doesn't seem to be much work here or potential work here for a while

Will give me a good reason to head over for a visit. Every cloud.......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea