Worst game of all time

Started by rrhf, September 01, 2011, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 01, 2011, 11:33:27 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2011, 10:48:35 AM
The Kerry vs Mayo All Ireland finals were as bad a matches as I've seen.

I'd rather watch a low scoring bloodfest any day of the week ahead of a mismatch.

What about the Kerry    3-13    Cork    1-9 Final.

Was that the 2007 final? Waste of time remember Quirke fucked up gifting goal to Donaghy and it wa game over 10mins in. Shite game i'd far rather have a tight game like sundays
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Feckitt

At the height of celtic tiger decadence Cork played Galway in a quarter final, 2005 I think.  And the papers raved about the free flowing football, and how the game could be like this all the time if it were not for the remorseless physicality of Armagh etc.  What scores, what passing, what dancing about the pitch.  What tripe....

Truth is, it was complete dung!  Cork subsequently got eaten alive by the 3rd best team in Ireland that year, Kerry.

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 01, 2011, 06:22:12 PM
Last year's Mayo county final would have to be mentioned. I know other circumstances have to be taken into account, but after losing to Longford I thought there was really no hope at all for football in Mayo.

Last year's Leitrim county final was worse & those guys have little hope but will still be expecting to beat the Sligo champs this year.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

spectator

Quote from: ross4life on September 01, 2011, 04:41:33 PM
Connacht final 1993 Mayo 1-5 Roscommon 0-7,Leitrim 0-6 Roscommon 0-7 (2006 league game) were two of the worst games i've been too

Can't agree about the Leitrim league game R4L.

While the quality of fare on offer was arguably only middlin, the game was another in a long line of epic dogfights against the Laythrumites down the years.

It had a lot going for it ; monsoon-like weather which made this year's Connacht Final breeze and showers look positively glorious.

The big Laytrum crowd giving it socks under the shed all through.

Big Seamie getting attacked for the second game in a row against one of our neighbours.

The boul Marty Sludden dispatching only two Laythrumites to the line when they were clearly on a war footing.

13 man Laytrum's plucky second half showing against the all odds to lead late in the game.

And of course not forgetting The Rossies late comeback culminating in Cregger's wonderful winner.

Aye, a game that could go down in legend yet imho ( especially if i have anything to do with it anyhow  :D )

' 93 on the other hand ... totally agree. Have managed to wipe most of it from the memory banks at this stage, although Dempsey's goal is still stubbornly hanging in there ...

comethekingdom

Kerry V Tyrone 2003 AISF - where the term 'Puke foortball' was coined !  :(

mountainboii

Gabriel

Down v Sligo around 2006 was a joke of a match, probably Down's worst ever championship performance. O'Rourke's last game in charge. There was an All-Ireland quarter final there a few years ago as well which was so bad it was unbelievable - possibly Cork-Sligo in 2007?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: comethekingdom on September 01, 2011, 09:48:32 PM

No matter how much some from Kerry protest that they don't care about Tír Eoghain or our football (victories), there are plenty of those that STILL have nightmares!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

comethekingdom

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 01, 2011, 10:17:39 PM
Quote from: comethekingdom on September 01, 2011, 09:48:32 PM

No matter how much some from Kerry protest that they don't care about Tír Eoghain or our football (victories), there are plenty of those that STILL have nightmares!  :D
Yerra there's none of us protesting or ever have had nightmares - we'll not begrudge ye yere couple of victories. 'Tis the scourge of the blanket defence that pisses of the football purists. Simple as that. ;)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Scoring more than twice as many points as your opponents can't all be down to a duvet!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AFS on September 01, 2011, 09:51:31 PM
Pearse Park 1999 - Armagh 0-6 Sligo 0-5

John Bannon referring to top it off.

Referring to what, the rule books, his linesmen or umpires, Aine looking sumptious as she bounced topless over the field(well one can dream!)

Hoof Hearted

Lets face it lads, this thread is going to have more pages than "Greatest game of all time", cause there is more of a choice. especially since the turn of the 2000's.

Win at all cause, more tactical, more focus on athletics and fitness than ball skills etc etc...
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Jinxy

Don't kid yourself HH.
There was plenty of putrid games back in the day too.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ziggysego

Quote from: ziggysego on September 01, 2011, 03:03:43 PM
Connaught Final 18xx

Galway 0-00 Mayo (?) 0-00 FT

Game was abandoned with 5 minutes to go, as the ball burst and there was no replacement.

Found the correct details:

1895 Munster Final between Cork and Kerry in Limerick. With 5 minutes to go the teams were scoreless when the ball burst and a replacement could not be found. The ref declared the game a draw.

In 1906 Kerry drew with Mayo on the scoreline of 0-01 to 0-01.
Testing Accessibility

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ziggysego on September 02, 2011, 04:40:43 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 01, 2011, 03:03:43 PM
Connaught Final 18xx

Galway 0-00 Mayo (?) 0-00 FT

Game was abandoned with 5 minutes to go, as the ball burst and there was no replacement.

Found the correct details:

1895 Munster Final between Cork and Kerry in Limerick. With 5 minutes to go the teams were scoreless when the ball burst and a replacement could not be found. The ref declared the game a draw.

In 1906 Kerry drew with Mayo on the scoreline of 0-01 to 0-01.

Back then 1 goal beat any number of points, they were probably playing for goals, one team scored a point with a few minutes to go and the other probably went o shit and scored one to level it.

At another stage 1 goal = 5 points, not sure at the time line between goal worth more than all points to goal = 5 points, to goal = 3 points.

Anyone else able to confirm or deny my statement.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.