Golfing Locations - Any ideas

Started by FermPundit, August 23, 2011, 07:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermPundit

Me and a few friends are hoping to go away on a golfing weekend at the start of September (Sunday 4th). The plan is to play a round of golf on Sunday afternoon, head out for a few pints on Sunday night and then play another course on Monday. We're looking for a town where there might be a good crowd out on a Sunday night. We're not looking for anything too mad, just a lively pub. We're pretty flexible on locations, but somewhere no more than 2 hours drive from Fermanagh would be ideal. Has anyone got any ideas?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

laoislad

If you decide to go a bit further than two hours then think about Kilkenny.
Some excellent courses Callan and Gowran Park among others and all within 20 mins of the city.
Also great for drink and nightlife.

You could also just go to Dublin where you will also have a great choice of courses and nightlife.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

leaveherinsir

Portrush/Portstewart/Ballycastle. Depends on how much you want to spend on the golf tho. You can play the Valley course at Portrush and the Riverside at Portstewart for relatively affordable prices.
Should be a bit of life around Portstewart on a Sunday night, although the air show is that weekend, accomodation should be available for the Sunday ok tho.

thewobbler

Headfort in Kells. Superb golf at very reasonable prices (2 courses). The club is only a few hundred metres from Kells itself. Can't vouch for nightlife, but I'd imagine somewhere does a fair turn on a Sunday night. Try the Headfort Arms hotel.

Groucho

Wouldn't disagree with any of the above....but Rosapena (Downings) has two superb courses, the Harbour bar usually has a good crowd on Sunday night.
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

Mayo4Sam

If you like links head out to Belmullet and play Carna, the Broadhaven will do a deal for dinner, b&b and a round of golf, good town for pints town. Play enniscrone on the way home and you'll have played two of the best links courses in ireland. Belmullet is prob 2.5 hrs from enniskillen, enniscrone 1.5.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

magpie seanie

If you come to Sligo you have 3 fines courses - Rosses Point (Co. Sligo), Strandhill and Castle Dargan (Darren Clarke designed) - close at hand. Maybe Sligo is too close to you but there would be a good crowd in the town on a Saturday night and there's good value to be got in the hotels.

ONeill

Brackaville 9 holer outside Coalisland. One tricky quarry hole. You can drink on the course and can wear your standard Fermanagh garb without stern looks from normal people. Nice Chinese in the town and a selection of pubs. There'll be boys on the lineside with harder stuff if needed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bingo

Concra Wood in Blayney is a mighty track and is very good value. It a parkland course with water on a number of holes from Lough Muckno that runs alongside it. Very good value as well.

You could play it on Sunday, stay local and then play Nuremore/Carlingford/Baltry the next day which aren't too far away. Alot of people play Concra and want to play it again the next day mind once they know the course and what another crack at it. (I'd hire a buggy though!).

The club are playing championship that sunday so they'll be a few about town that night for pints. Its not far from Fermanagh either.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on August 24, 2011, 10:34:38 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 24, 2011, 09:45:57 AM
Brackaville 9 holer outside Coalisland. One tricky quarry hole. You can drink on the course and can wear your standard Fermanagh garb without stern looks from normal people. Nice Chinese in the town and a selection of pubs. There'll be boys on the lineside with harder stuff if needed.
http://www.knowhere.co.uk/Brackaville/Tyrone/Northern-Ireland-and-Republic-of-Ireland/info/local

That feckin goat at the quarry hole. I'd like to see McIlroy negotiate that.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Muzz

Quote from: ONeill on August 24, 2011, 11:08:06 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 24, 2011, 10:34:38 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 24, 2011, 09:45:57 AM
http://www.knowhere.co.uk/Brackaville/Tyrone/Northern-Ireland-and-Republic-of-Ireland/info/local

That feckin goat at the quarry hole. I'd like to see McIlroy negotiate that.

Many a golf ball lost on that hole...im nearly sure theres someone down there that runs out pockets the ball and disappears!  8 Iron is the only way!

spuds

Quote from: laoislad on August 23, 2011, 07:39:25 PM
If you decide to go a bit further than two hours then think about Kilkenny.
Some excellent courses Callan and Gowran Park among others and all within 20 mins of the city.
Also great for drink and nightlife.

You could also just go to Dublin where you will also have a great choice of courses and nightlife.

All Ireland hurling Sunday as well so if the cats win will be mighty craic about
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

A.B.U

The Athlone area is good for golf and not that far from you. The Hudson Bay is a fine Golf course.

laoislad

I played in the course beside the Hudson Bay in Athlone myself recently,it's a fine course.
A fellow gaaboard member invited me to play in a classic for some Roscommon GAA team that I can't remember the name of.
I ended up teaching said fellow gaaboard member a thing or two about golf!  :D
:P
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ross4life

Quote from: laoislad on August 24, 2011, 04:49:41 PM
I played in the course beside the Hudson Bay in Athlone myself recently,it's a fine course.
A fellow gaaboard member invited me to play in a classic for some Roscommon GAA team that I can't remember the name of.
I ended up teaching said fellow gaaboard member a thing or two about golf!  :D
:P
I'd say that team you can't remember the name of played in the All Ireland final club final this March.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open