Tipperary vs Kilkenny - 2011 All Ireland Hurling Final

Started by TippTony, August 18, 2011, 12:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TippTony

It's on like Donkey Kong!!

The semifinals messed things up a bit by not following the predictions for the Two Masters of the Hurling Universe to annihilate Waterford and Dublin. Kilkenny didn't seem to me to have the typical dominance in possession and accuracy in scoring, while Tipperary's forwards weren't able to open up the Dublin backs as expected [we thought Lar against 7 backs, he'd at least knock 2 or 3 in].

I can't feicn wait to see this final. With the history of the last two seasons, and in particular the form of both teams so far in the 2011 championship, this could really be one for the books; forget your 5-in-a-row!!. It looks like the tactics will be more important for both teams than any final before. Tipp struggled badly for possession against Dublin, I'll be interesting to see how they're going to manage against the Cats; and Shefflin with both legs working. Kilkenny had a tough time of it tactically in last years final, with the Tipp forwards dragging them around. They'll want to avoid this and anything resembling the space given to Tipp in the Munster final, but you'd hardly expect Kilkenny to kowtow to Tipp by playing 7 in defense.

I think Tipperary's biggest advantage in this final won't be their forwards. Those boys will score and will probably need cupla cul to win it handy, but Kilkenny won't be giving away anything soft back there. I think it's the Tipp backs and the man between the sticks that could make this a knifes-edge game for 70 minutes. Only 3 goals conceded in 4 championship matches, they'll want to maintain the form. If they fail, Kilkenny will run away with it. If they're up to the task, then ultimately it'll come down to whoever comes out of those rucks carrying the ball, and whoever can make certain of the points from play.

If it goes the latter way, I predict Tipp will have the legs to nudge ahead by 3-4 points.

TippTony

Quote from: orangeman on August 18, 2011, 01:18:25 PM
Get off the fence !  ;)

Go away with ya. If Tipp don't win this one, Paddy Power gets the house, the car, and the childs college funds (3,000 a year apparently!)

orangeman

Quote from: TippTony on August 18, 2011, 01:22:49 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 18, 2011, 01:18:25 PM
Get off the fence !  ;)

Go away with ya. If Tipp don't win this one, Paddy Power gets the house, the car, and the childs college funds (3,000 a year apparently!)

High stakes then for all concerned !  :o

Milltown Row2

At 80 Euro a ticket I'm trying to get money from paddy power!! I've £50 sitting so twenty on kerry minus the handicap should get me a ticket and passage to croke.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

robertemmet

Sunday has the makings of a titanic encounter.  Hard one to call.  Just hope it is a classic as too many poor games this year.

Here is a preview from my blog - http://mal-sport.blogspot.com/2011/08/cats-to-regain-liam-mccarthy-cup.html

CorkMan

If the last 3 years are anything to go by, this will be a classic.

Milltown Row2

I'm going for the Cats this year.

While both teams have not impressed lately it's the Cats who will be more up for the match after last years collapse.

Will Lar get the same ball and freedom on Sunday? Hard to call but I'm going for a 3 point win for the Cats
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Going for the Cats as well, really looking forward to this should be a great game.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

marydelia1

Righto lads need keen hurling eyes on this!

DTwo is giving away 500 quid if you can identify the hurler in their skills video on Youtube! Could be from anywhere though... possibly Tipp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX2C3-y0bDQ

robertemmet

Croí na hÉireann

This could be the final to beat all finals, first draw in over 50 years a very real possibility but I think the Cats will shade it. Cody has been preparing them with this game in mind all year. Expect Michael Rice to go onto Pauraic Maher and negate his influence. Then they will rely on Sheffling, Power and Hogan to get the scores. Goals will be crucial but I don't expect to see too many of them, maybe one apiece. The KK FB line will have their work cut out to protect Hegarty (who started off with a blinder against Wexford but has looked more vulnerable recently). The half back line and midfield will work their backsides off to get back and cover but by going 15 on 15 they will worry Tipp offensively, which is something they haven't really encountered since the first half of the Clare game.

From Tipps perspective they have to shut down the KK half back line and take any goal opportunities when they arise. Noel McGrath on Brian Hogan is one to look out for. No surprise not to see Brendan Maher starting, only back from injury and wasn't up to speed in the semi when he came on. Without him and Declan Fanning, Tipp are too light back there imo and that shades it for the Cats. Should be a classic, roll on Sunday.

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"