Started by RedandGreenSniper, July 24, 2011, 04:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on August 01, 2011, 10:58:19 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2011, 10:20:40 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 01, 2011, 10:16:24 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2011, 10:06:14 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 01, 2011, 10:02:19 PM
Seen as there are no cork men here, you'd have to say they'd be disappointed with counihan yesterday, how was shields left on Moran, he was destroyed, surely switching cadogan or cotter onto him would have been an idea?

Ever tried marking someone good in 80 yards of space with your midfield catching absolutely nothing? I have and it ain't fun.

Cork's lack of a defensive system cost them yesterday. they could have had Cahalalane marking Moran yesterday and he'd have been roasted.

Corks entire gameplan was built around winning midfield. Yesterday was the first day they didnt for 2 years.

Expect Cork to come back with a radically different game-plan next year.

Cork didn't win midfield v us last year it wasn't until Murphy came on did they break even & Shine roasted Shields then Counihan switched Canty onto him to limit the influence.

I would have said his influence was limited because he didnt get the ball.

Doesnt matter how good the back is.

In a pitch that size with ample possession the forward will always win in the abscence of a defensive system.

Dublin used to play like that and even the likes of Paddy Christie had rough days. You cant play in CP without some sort of a screen.

I'm not advocating Donegal's style. In my view thats going too far.

Plenty of ball was played in remember O'Gara was fit for us last year once they won more possession in midfield (thanks to the introduction of Murphy) they had a platform to beat us.

On Saturday both ourselves & Tyrone didn't play any sort of screen in front of the back line but you can be sure Mickey Harte will change his tactics for ye.

Going back to Mayo, Horan did his homework on Cork he put his best footballing forward on Shields because he has struggled in a battle before & the Cork midfield is over rated, again he crowded the midfield & won most of the "dirty ball" Horan learned loads from the midfield battle they had in the Connacht final.

Maybe - and Ros s Mannion and Finneran are as good a pair as there is in it but Cork have more than a pairing. Huge men like Miskella and Leary and Kissane driving onto everything that moves around 2 massive midfielders. Thats a huge ask and I ve never seen that a middle third as intimidating as that before to be honest. It would be easy enough to hang your hat at it.

Alright, nobody can mention league games, but the Cork match in McHale Park was very revealing. Alan O Connor and Pierce O Neill huffed and puffed like the big bad wolf that day but looked ordinary. Most people thought they had a different level. I didn t and neither did the Mayo players, JH or CC either by the looks of things. Those big guys look scary but don t like it out of their comfort zone. Unlike the O Se boys - I wouldn t swap them for a midfield pairing in the country. And then McGarrity. If he can get back to fitness, he would be 'the man' as regards midfielders around. And maybe he will be needed to do another job but more than aboiut this anon.

I m sure McGar and other Mayo lads are aware of how Jack O Connor dissed them and yearrah'd them away in his book a few years ago. Good book as well for the most part. Mayo have alot to bring into this game and any motivation is good motivation.

Cork seemed to realise they had to win the game fast and early on Sunday. They also realised - contrary to expert opinion that they would not win their own kick outs long and smashed up Mayo s long kicks early. Again that was a lesson they learned in Castlebar, and once they could not dominate they began to visibly lose belief.

venter

Well done James Horan and Mayo. Brilliant display of work, pressure, tackling and heart. Kicked over some great scores when needed, but we will have to more clinical the next day and avoid dropping the ball into the keepers hands when the game is the melting pot.

The type of workrate the team displayed will keep us competitive for the rest of the championship

mckieran

QuoteOn a different matter, there appears to be a clash over the club championship games this weekend. Horan wants them off, the board want them on and the latter appear to be staying firm.

I dont think managers should have any qualms about players playing club championship 2 weeks before an inter county match. I agree 1 week is too much but managers should be reasonable and allow players to play 2 weeks beforehand.

blanketattack

People have been saying how Cork have a team to dominate the future but of those that played on Sunday, the following 8 players will be in their 30s for next year's championship
A Quirke (36), N O'Leary (30), G Canty (32), J Miskella (34), P Kissane (32), N Murphy (34), D O'Connor (31), P O'Neill (33)

So with Cork, Kerry and Tyrone marquee players of the last 6 years hitting their 30s there's room for other teams to come in and dominate.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: blanketattack on August 02, 2011, 11:49:11 AM
People have been saying how Cork have a team to dominate the future but of those that played on Sunday, the following 8 players will be in their 30s for next year's championship
A Quirke (36), N O'Leary (30), G Canty (32), J Miskella (34), P Kissane (32), N Murphy (34), D O'Connor (31), P O'Neill (33)

So with Cork, Kerry and Tyrone marquee players of the last 6 years hitting their 30s there's room for other teams to come in and dominate.

Cork have a serious amount of underage players to come through yet. They aint going anywhere.

passedit

Quote from: moysider on August 02, 2011, 12:09:13 AM
Maybe - and Ros s Mannion and Finneran are as good a pair as there is in it but Cork have more than a pairing. Huge men like Miskella and Leary and Kissane driving onto everything that moves around 2 massive midfielders. Thats a huge ask and I ve never seen that a middle third as intimidating as that before to be honest. It would be easy enough to hang your hat at it.

Alright, nobody can mention league games, but the Cork match in McHale Park was very revealing. Alan O Connor and Pierce O Neill huffed and puffed like the big bad wolf that day but looked ordinary. Most people thought they had a different level. I didn t and neither did the Mayo players, JH or CC either by the looks of things. Those big guys look scary but don t like it out of their comfort zone. Unlike the O Se boys - I wouldn t swap them for a midfield pairing in the country. And then McGarrity. If he can get back to fitness, he would be 'the man' as regards midfielders around. And maybe he will be needed to do another job but more than aboiut this anon.

I m sure McGar and other Mayo lads are aware of how Jack O Connor dissed them and yearrah'd them away in his book a few years ago. Good book as well for the most part. Mayo have alot to bring into this game and any motivation is good motivation.

Cork seemed to realise they had to win the game fast and early on Sunday. They also realised - contrary to expert opinion that they would not win their own kick outs long and smashed up Mayo s long kicks early. Again that was a lesson they learned in Castlebar, and once they could not dominate they began to visibly lose belief.

Will Horan have the cojones for the basketball match up from the start? I'd say Mickey Moran would tell him not to wait till the damage is done.
Don't Panic

moysider

Quote from: passedit on August 02, 2011, 12:10:30 PM

Will Horan have the cojones for the basketball match up from the start? I'd say Mickey Moran would tell him not to wait till the damage is done.

I d say he will have sleepless nights deciding this one. Even with the likes of Freeman and McL covering back we ll struggle man to man. There are no satisfactory match ups in my opinion. Tyrone have shown how to cope with the threat and you can be sure it has not been lost on JH.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: moysider on August 02, 2011, 12:19:46 PM
Quote from: passedit on August 02, 2011, 12:10:30 PM

I d say he will have sleepless nights deciding this one. Even with the likes of Freeman and McL covering back we ll struggle man to man. There are no satisfactory match ups in my opinion. Tyrone have shown how to cope with the threat and you can be sure it has not been lost on JH.

There won't be any backing down this time i feel. Forget about the national anthem as there will be plenty of digs during it.

RedandGreenSniper

McGarrity at full-back? A great shout. I don't think there'll be sleepless nights at all. Cafferkey isn't up to it in the air against Donaghy and while people might say that Alan Feeney did well vs Donaghy in the League game, the reality is that he was hanging on by his fingertips and Donaghy didn't leave first gear.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Blowitupref

Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2011, 12:03:40 PM

Cork have a serious amount of underage players to come through yet. They aint going anywhere.

Yes but nothing like the underage talent they got from the 07,09 U21 All Irelands. The one thing we learned about Cork this year was they don't have that huge panel that's better than the rest as a few injuries showed that. Also Kerry have a lot of 30 something players.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Mayo4Sam

Ust watching it again on Setanta, unreal block from Higgins on Kerrigan.

Also vaughans yellow, I was watching him at the time, O'Neill hit him two elbows on the top of the head before he hit him a belt, should have been booked as well
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 02, 2011, 02:40:21 PM
McGarrity at full-back? A great shout. I don't think there'll be sleepless nights at all. Cafferkey isn't up to it in the air against Donaghy and while people might say that Alan Feeney did well vs Donaghy in the League game, the reality is that he was hanging on by his fingertips and Donaghy didn't leave first gear.

McGarrity would be great for the highballs in, but I would worry that his habit of indiscipline (well previous years) might cost us a penalty.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

INDIANA

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 02, 2011, 03:39:16 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2011, 12:03:40 PM

Yes but nothing like the underage talent they got from the 07,09 U21 All Irelands. The one thing we learned about Cork this year was they don't have that huge panel that's better than the rest as a few injuries showed that. Also Kerry have a lot of 30 something players.

Believe me when I say this Cork will have a better side then the current one in 2 years. Cork will rule the roost in Munster for quite some time very soon.

No panel could sustain the losses of 3 key forwards. Mayo wouldnt look too clever without O Connor, Moran and Freeman.

Kerry will struggle for a little while alright.

Mayo4Sam

Id also retract my MOTM call for KMcL, good game but saffron and blue tinted glasses. Instead I'd go for AOS, phenomenal amount of ball, just pipping Andy IMO
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me