Kildare v Derry

Started by omagh_gael, July 17, 2011, 05:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clubman

Quote from: mup on July 20, 2011, 03:14:10 PM
Quote from: clubman on July 20, 2011, 02:37:54 PM
The ref's decisions on Sunday had a huge impact on the outcome of the game fact, and it is only natural to be annoyed about it. Kildare people were and still are correctly annoyed about what happened them earlier this season, McGeeny livid to say the least. All Derry like anybody else wants is FAIR play especially as the match is now a home game for Kildare well almost

As a matter of interest where do you think the match should be played?
Well casement would be every bit as fair to Derry people as Croke Pk is to Kildare, Newry would be fair to both

mup

Quote from: clubman on July 20, 2011, 03:18:41 PM
The ref's decisions on Sunday had a huge impact on the outcome of the game fact, and it is only natural to be annoyed about it. Kildare people were and still are correctly annoyed about what happened them earlier this season, McGeeny livid to say the least. All Derry like anybody else wants is FAIR play especially as the match is now a home game for Kildare well almost

Well casement would be every bit as fair to Derry people as Croke Pk is to Kildare, Newry would be fair to both

I'm not meaning to sound smart but would those not be like a home ground to Derry?

Personally I think the GAA should have given Derry an extra week. But its the Ulster Council is to blame. The dates for the qualifiers are set from early in the year. They could and should have played the final a week earlier.

Fuzzman

If the Armagh v Roscommon match is going to be the week later then was there a reason given why Derry v Kildare couldn't be the same?

heffo

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 20, 2011, 03:31:44 PM
If the Armagh v Roscommon match is going to be the week later then was there a reason given why Derry v Kildare couldn't be the same?

They wouldn't fix two qualifiers a week later than scheduled in case Kildare v Derry ended in a draw too..

mup

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 20, 2011, 03:31:44 PM

I see what you did there :-X. Yes, I agree. They should have gotten an extra week.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2011, 02:20:59 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 20, 2011, 02:09:25 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2011, 11:16:27 AM
Yea I know what he is doing but he has failed to address his and his teams failings your average Derry supporter is aware that their performance wasn't good enough and I still sense that he believes that refereeing decisions denied. He still hasn't emotionally detached himself from the defeat. Not a good mind-set when trying to coach for the next game.
think yer missing the psychology behind what he is publicly saying and what this means as a manager to hs team and their 'confidence' after a defeat !
You above all should spot this straight away with yer megabucks coaching background !!
;)

Not at all, I think what he is saying in public is wrong he's not creating a siege mentality (Rule 97 of the GAA unwritten rule book) he sounds like he is still emotionally not detached from the defeat you don't need to be a psychologist to see that. He needed to realign the teams goals immediately after the defeat instead it's Wednesday and he is still talking about last Sunday.

Do you think players have a symbiotic relationship with their manager and they separate public comment from private, do you think they need to hear their friends and family talk about how your manager is blaming poor officiating?
by blaming the ref, he distracts the team from potentally questioning their own ability etc
a manager at this point needs to try and restore/keep confidence in their own ability.
IMO thats what he is doing. Its grasping at staws imo, but every little sliver counts when dealing with players, confidence and looking to turn around a team from defeat to competng and contesting a win.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Statistically and historically kildare chaps, does the away jersey bring or hold any vodoo or whatnot over the team .......................?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2011, 02:23:45 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 20, 2011, 02:11:02 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2011, 01:56:05 PM
Quote from: clubman on July 20, 2011, 01:47:36 PM
The expense of Clones on Sun means I won't be in croker on Sat, for a family man it is out of the question. The Kildare people must be delighted with the venue and is an extra bonus to them as if they needed one. I wish Derry all the best of luck and hope they at least get a fair ref but I would not count on it

The ref is one Syl Doyle, did the first Kildare v Meath game but also did the Kildare v Derry game in the league. Not a a bad ref in fairness..
imo he wasnt brilliant in the NFL game - mcloughlin should have been sent off (he came on in the second half as a sub) for persistent fouling in newbridge - less was made of it as Derry won.
still he's no worse than many and theres plenty i'd have him officiating ahead of !

jaysus I never said he was brilliant/good just not bad, i.e Ok if a bit fussy but reasonably consistent.

Persistent fouling is not a red card offence unless you're Eoghan O'Gara,  Actually is there any reference to persistent fouling in the GAA handbook?
yes, persistent fouling merits a yellow card and then a red card after a second/third offence - obv only when done by the same player.
An entire team can do it  and get away with it, as long as it is once each and they can be warned/yellow carded over it but thats it.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mup on July 20, 2011, 03:25:18 PM

I'm not meaning to sound smart but would those not be like a home ground to Derry?

Personally I think the GAA should have given Derry an extra week. But its the Ulster Council is to blame. The dates for the qualifiers are set from early in the year. They could and should have played the final a week earlier.
yes they should have.
no point in whinging about it now.

I've never been to a game in newry. Cavan would have suited me fine. However as croker is less than 10 miles away, it suits me fine also !!

tbrick18

I cant remember the last time Derry played in Newry....there was a qualifier game maybe 5-6 years ago with a Skinner wonder goal but by no means would it be like a home ground.
Casement would definately be unfair on Kildare.....we'd have had a few games there, though rarely play well there and it would have been further for Kildare to travel I think.
Newry would have been a good choice I'd say.

clubman

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 20, 2011, 04:00:10 PM
And Croke Pk is unfair to Derry so why is it being played there? Why is Kildare getting a huge advantage?

I cant remember the last time Derry played in Newry....there was a qualifier game maybe 5-6 years ago with a Skinner wonder goal but by no means would it be like a home ground.
Casement would definately be unfair on Kildare.....we'd have had a few games there, though rarely play well there and it would have been further for Kildare to travel I think.
Newry would have been a good choice I'd say.

Donnellys Hollow

Sure us affluent Flourbags would travel in large numbers no matter where the match is played. Once the horsebox is unhitched, our Range Rovers can ate up the miles on the motorway.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Sure you could bring up the horsebox and give the entire Derry support a lift home afterwards...
#newbridgeornowhere

jodyb

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2011, 04:10:42 PM
Sure you could bring up the horsebox and give the entire Derry support a lift home afterwards...
Ye mightn't be in the humour for showing such charity if we whip yes :)

HiMucker

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2011, 04:10:42 PM
Ye wont be cracking them horse jokes furlong!! :-\