Cruciate ligament injuries

Started by glensman-derry, July 11, 2011, 12:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glensman-derry

I think there was a topic on this but i was wandering in the last year how many inter county footballers/hurlers have done cruciate ligaments?

Paddy Bradley
James Conway
Eoin Bradley (suspected)
Ambrose Rogers
Dermot Early
Conor Mortimor
Colm O neill
Ciaran Sheehan
Paul Griffen
Henry Shefflin
John Galvin

Others?

Hardy

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Gael85

David Moran-Kerry
Mark Davoren-Dublin
Peter Kelly-Kildare
Tomas Brady-Dublin
Stephen Hiney-Dublin
David Treacy-Dublin

Donnellys Hollow

Peter Kelly, Dermot Earley, Ken Donnelly, Mark O'Sullivan, Willie Heffernan, Mikey Conway (returned Saturday night) all on the Kildare panel.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ExiledGael

From our own county, Marty McGrath, Barry Owens, Eamon Maguire.
Off the top of my head Bernard Brogan, Paul Brogan (twice), Ronan Clarke as well.

tommysmith

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 12, 2011, 10:19:34 AM
Off the top of my head Bernard Brogan, Paul Brogan (twice), Ronan Clarke as well.

How is Bernard Brogan back so quick?

screenexile

Quote from: tommysmith on July 12, 2011, 10:29:35 AM
Quote from: ExiledGael on July 12, 2011, 10:19:34 AM

How is Bernard Brogan back so quick?

He did his a few years ago before he was a regular on the Dublin team.

Bogball XV

How have all the lads mentioned fared since surgery?  What's the average time before comebacks and what are the long term implications, eg are players who've been through this more prone to hamstring trouble, loss of pace that sort of thing?

Iirc screenexile has been through it too?

Given that the amount of dubs and kildare players (and three derry this year) does anyone think there's anything specifically linking these, training, boots, other?  I confess to having no expertise on training techniques or injuries etc, so feel free to ridicule this suggestion.

ExiledGael

Don't know if there's any specific reason as it seems to happen at the most innocuous of times and to all sorts of players.
It's a minimum six months for a professional soccer player, Essien of Cherlsea tore his for the second time this week but that's with all the expertise those clubs have. Generally it's nine months with an awful lot of physio and you're right about the hamstrings etc going on the way back.
Done mine a few years back and don't know what to blame, refuse to ever wear blades again myself though. Don't know if there's much logic to it.
Recent story on Hoganstand:

Fermanagh club St Patrick's have outlawed bladed football boots in a bid to end a spate of cruciate ligament injuries.
The Irish Independent reports that four players from the club suffered the dreaded cruciate rupture last year, and that new-fangled boots may be to blame.
Club chairman Paddy Boyle told the paper, "We had never seen anything like it before. The only common denominator was that the four lads were wearing blades. So, we've asked the lads to stick to moulded boots or studs."
Cruciate ligament injuries have become a common scenario in GAA circles.
Three Kildare players - including two-time former All Star Dermot Earley - are currently sidelined following cruciate ops, while Kerry's David Moran and Cork star Colm O'Neill ruptured their cruciate ligaments in recent weeks.
Meanwhile, internationally renowned physio Ger Hartmann, who treated Kilkenny's Henry Shefflin and John Tennyson in the build-up to last year's All-Ireland hurling final, insists the injuries themselves have always been prevalent in the GAA, but that better diagnosis and treatment nowadays gives players a chance of making a full recovery.
Quoted in Wednesday's Irish Times, he said, "Go back 10 or 15 years and they'd be depending on an X-ray, but that didn't show a cruciate, which could be torn, or completely gone.
"Now you have an MRI in every hospital, and places like the Santry Clinic, so diagnostics are way more expedient, within days of the trauma. So as Pat Spillane says, cruciate injuries were always there, but players were told the knee was badly inflamed, arthritis even. You played on if you could, and if you couldn't you retired. But these injuries were always there, just not as readily diagnosed."

oakleaf stateside

decky brennan. prob wud have been back on the derry team the way he was goin but then the old cruciate kicked in
Dont Do It

screenexile

It's a complete f**king curse! I'm on my way back from my second  and god knows if I'll play again. I had no complications the first time and was back within 6 months without any problems and made it through until July but then it broke down a bit on me. I would blame that more on the fact I neglected the gym when I came back training more than anything else though. The year after my knee gave me no problems and still doesn't now.

Did the other knee in April after I had worked hard to get in decent shape so it was a real kick in the stones. Since the op ice torn my hamstring and I've a lot of pain in the knee along with that I haven't had the heart to push myself with the rehab so who knows if I'll play much again.

It's affected our club badly and in the last 2 seasons our Senior panel has suffered 5 cruciate injuries with 3 this year alone. All different incidents/pitches/boots worn so who knows what the cause is. There's a printout on the Belfast Knee Clinic website detailing prevention strategies for the cruciate and if I had known then what I do now I'd have done those exercises before every training session and match!!

ballinaman

This standard warm up has been started with American soccer clubs, including every MLS team as far as i know. Its being looked at seriously here with a number of clubs taking on the program as part of research. I expect it to be rolled out here in 1-2 years as the reduction in ACL injuries in the states has been significant.

http://smsmf.org/files/PEP_Program_04122011.pdf

ardchieftain

Done mine in the early 90's as a teenager but noone seemed to be able to tell me what the problem was. Tried playing away but kept breaking down so took early retirement.

Tore it to shreds a few years ago, had the mri, had the op. Great stuff, until it broke down again and had another op. back to jogging again recently but alas my career is over, too old anyway many would say.

If only the medical knowledge was widely available 20 years ago.

I did notice though that a hard pitch always had my knees feeling vulnerable so i'd imagine this is a general contributing factor ?

Tony Baloney

There was a Consultant Knee Surgeon on The Committee Room tonight and he said that although blades and harder sand based pitches may be contributing factors, he said he hasn't noticed any upward trend in number of cases. As someone above said it could be due to the fact that there is greater awareness and technology now.